ADVERTISEMENT

Quick look at incoming JUCO arms + new JUCO IF commit

Hskrbsbl2020

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 1, 2019
Frahm is dialed in, and my guess is he will be a PO in Lincoln as his offensive numbers have been bad.

RHP Frahm
17 IP, 14 APP, 2.12 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, 4 H, 4 ER, 30 K, 15 BB, .073 BAA

I think Sears will give everyone a run for a weekend spot and can easily see him & Olson battle for the Friday job. As you'll see, his control has been outstanding and half of his starts have been complete games - 7 inning games though but still.

RHP Sears
74.1 IP, 12 GS, 6 CG, 3.03 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, 10-2, 65 H, 25 ER, 98 K, 19 BB, .225 BAA

Sleeper seems to be a Wynne/Bunz leverage guy. Possibly more. He's an interesting cat, from Minnesota, as he began his career at North Carolina then after Tommy John transferred to Wabash JUCO and once was committed to Dallas Baptist before returning to Wabash and committing to Nebraska. Off the charts potential, should be fully ready once he arrives in Lincoln (assuming he signed this spring).

LHP Sleeper
9.1 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, .96 ERA, 15 K, 2 BB

I'm a little perplexed by this next one, but he is a LHP with college experience at the JUCO level. The little I've heard about him, great kid and dugout guy but we have too many dugout guys as it currently stands. Hopefully he can come in and become a quality situational type guy. If not, he may not make it past the fall.

LHP Dreher
14.2 IP, 15 APP, 14 H, 16 ER, 9.82 ERA, 2.37 WHIP (this is NOT good), 28 K, 20 BB

Frahm, Sears & Sleeper are what we need - moreso the first two. Sears gives us an experienced starter with swag and Frahm gives us that big time & electric arm at the back-end of a game (think Schwelly) with Hallmark type swag potential. Both of these guys are F*** YOU type players with the ball in their hand. Holding excitement for Sleeper until it's confirmed he signed.

This allows our 2022 high school signed arms to develop the right way. (Moquin is who I referred to in the commit thread, his scholarship was pulled so he won't be attending NU.) We shouldn't have to throw any of the young guns in to the fire, but if one makes it that's a good thing for us. Coach Christy has a stacked staff going in to the fall and the competition will be off the charts. Unless of course, there are (key) departures I'm unaware of.

I still think the staff is looking for a 👀 portal transfer and that'd be icing on the cake.

Frahm is dialed in, and my guess is he will be a PO in Lincoln as his offensive numbers have been bad.

RHP Frahm
17 IP, 14 APP, 2.12 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, 4 H, 4 ER, 30 K, 15 BB, .073 BAA

I think Sears will give everyone a run for a weekend spot and can easily see him & Olson battle for the Friday job. As you'll see, his control has been outstanding and half of his starts have been complete games - 7 inning games though but still.

RHP Sears
74.1 IP, 12 GS, 6 CG, 3.03 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, 10-2, 65 H, 25 ER, 98 K, 19 BB, .225 BAA

Sleeper seems to be a Wynne/Bunz leverage guy. Possibly more. He's an interesting cat, from Minnesota, as he began his career at North Carolina then after Tommy John transferred to Wabash JUCO and once was committed to Dallas Baptist before returning to Wabash and committing to Nebraska. Off the charts potential, should be fully ready once he arrives in Lincoln (assuming he signed this spring).

LHP Sleeper
9.1 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, .96 ERA, 15 K, 2 BB

I'm a little perplexed by this next one, but he is a LHP with college experience at the JUCO level. The little I've heard about him, great kid and dugout guy but we have too many dugout guys as it currently stands. Hopefully he can come in and become a quality situational type guy. If not, he may not make it past the fall.

LHP Dreher
14.2 IP, 15 APP, 14 H, 16 ER, 9.82 ERA, 2.37 WHIP (this is NOT good), 28 K, 20 BB

Frahm, Sears & Sleeper are what we need - moreso the first two. Sears gives us an experienced starter with swag and Frahm gives us that big time & electric arm at the back-end of a game (think Schwelly) with Hallmark type swag potential. Both of these guys are F*** YOU type players with the ball in their hand. Holding excitement for Sleeper until it's confirmed he signed.

This allows our 2022 high school signed arms to develop the right way. (Moquin is who I referred to in the commit thread, his scholarship was pulled so he won't be attending NU.) We shouldn't have to throw any of the young guns in to the fire, but if one makes it that's a good thing for us. Coach Christy has a stacked staff going in to the fall and the competition will be off the charts. Unless of course, there are (key) departures I'm unaware of.

I still think the staff is looking for a 👀 portal transfer and that'd be icing on the cake.
Brockett will be in the mix also.

Brockett will be in the mix also.

For what?

He'll need to take a big, big jump this summer & fall to be remotely close to a Friday guy for 2023. As of now, prior to any portal adds, I'd slate JB as a Sunday contender but right now - Sears & Olson (now that he's hopefully brought back to earth) are the clear front-runners for the 2023 Friday slot. And the other will be our Saturday guy. I repeat, this is prior to any portal adds.

Check out posts #3 & #4 at this link:

Reactions: sui111
For what?

He'll need to take a big, big jump this summer & fall to be remotely close to a Friday guy for 2023. As of now, prior to any portal adds, I'd slate JB as a Sunday contender but right now - Sears & Olson (now that he's hopefully brought back to earth) are the clear front-runners for the 2023 Friday slot. And the other will be our Saturday guy. I repeat, this is prior to any portal adds.

I wasn’t clear. I meant that he could be part of the weekend rotation hopefully.

Reactions: Hskrbsbl2020
Said on sports nightly just a little bit ago that we've inked 9 juco players so far. Gonna be a lot of locker cleaning in a few weeks. And quite frankly they've earned it really

9, damn, anyone have an updated list? I'm hopeful Sleeper is in that number.

37 players on current roster:
-1 with Wessell focusing on school.
-1 with McCarville expired eligibility
Nobody else is out of eligibility (maybe not, check following post down below)

35 players remain:
+8 high school commits (Moquin out)
+9 JUCO signees
And we're not done, still looking for 2-4 more portal/JUCO

52 players so at least 15 need to go! Well, technically we can have 40 on the roster for 2023 but it gets tricky on how to accomplish that.

Last edited:
Should be:

Columbus
Dreher
Evans
Frahm
Hughes
Johnson
Sears
Sleeper
Thomas

Columbus, that's who I'm missing. Thanks!

Do you understand the 2023 roster requirements? If I'm reading it right, you can have more than 35 (40 max) but anyone above 35 (36, 37, 38, 39, 40) is toed to covid somehow.

So if I'm reading that right, we're losing a ton of guys. I don't think I'm reading it right. I now think I'm originally correct, you can be players 36 thru 40 only if you lost 2020 covid.

Do you understand the 2023 roster requirements? If I'm reading it right, you can have more than 35 (40 max) but anyone above 35 (36, 37, 38, 39, 40) is toed to covid somehow.

So if I'm reading that right, we're losing a ton of guys. I don't think I'm reading it right. I now think I'm originally correct, you can be players 36 thru 40 only if you lost 2020 covid.
I'm not sure about much except for the 40 man roster size. Would you have to have 5 guys in a "true" Covid year (ie Schanaman, Frank, Martin, Chick, Everitt) or would it include someone like Banjoff? If you have injuries can you get an exception to go over 40? They're still stuck at 11.7 scholarships so I hope they find some NIL money.

9, damn, anyone have an updated list? I'm hopeful Sleeper is in that number.

37 players on current roster:
-1 with Wessell focusing on school.
-1 with McCarville expired eligibility
Nobody else is out of eligibility (maybe not, check following post down below)

35 players remain:
+8 high school commits (Moquin out)
+9 JUCO signees
And we're not done, still looking for 2-4 more portal/JUCO

52 players so at least 15 need to go! Well, technically we can have 40 on the roster for 2023 but it gets tricky on how to accomplish that.
Schanaman, Chick, Everett, Perry, Frank I believe are all seniors.

I'm not sure about much except for the 40 man roster size. Would you have to have 5 guys in a "true" Covid year (ie Schanaman, Frank, Martin, Chick, Everitt) or would it include someone like Banjoff? If you have injuries can you get an exception to go over 40? They're still stuck at 11.7 scholarships so I hope they find some NIL money.

Schanaman, Chick, Everett, Perry, Frank I believe are all seniors.

All of the Seniors minus McCarville have another year of eligibility.

It includes everyone that played college ball in 2020. To my count, that's 17 guys on our current roster.

Per D1Baseball:
For the ’23 season, the NCAA is allowing programs to have a roster size anywhere from 35-40, but there are major caveats. For instance, any student athlete beyond 35 would have had to lose their season to COVID back in 2020. Furthermore, teams will be allowed to have anywhere from 27-32 players on scholarship. However, anyone in the 28-32 range will have the same caveat as above — they will have had to lose their 2020 season to COVID. This mostly only would apply to super seniors on the roster next season. Additionally, those players who count as extra roster spots and counters would count against a team’s 11.7 and would be required to have 25 percent of a scholarship.

Yes that's what Sharpe said. Huge purge coming soon and Bolt won't allow a repeat of 2022

It includes everyone that played college ball in 2020. To my count, that's 17 guys on our current roster.

Per D1Baseball:
For the ’23 season, the NCAA is allowing programs to have a roster size anywhere from 35-40, but there are major caveats. For instance, any student athlete beyond 35 would have had to lose their season to COVID back in 2020. Furthermore, teams will be allowed to have anywhere from 27-32 players on scholarship. However, anyone in the 28-32 range will have the same caveat as above — they will have had to lose their 2020 season to COVID. This mostly only would apply to super seniors on the roster next season. Additionally, those players who count as extra roster spots and counters would count against a team’s 11.7 and would be required to have 25 percent of a scholarship.

Ok. It would be nice to hang on to schanaman and Chick for sure but some of these guys are probably ready to move on.

For what?

That's some pretty good info considering the date stamp, well done :)

Ok. It would be nice to hang on to schanaman and Chick for sure but some of these guys are probably ready to move on.

Unless it's a bullpen move with no scholarship, I disagree on Shay. Chick, no thanks - we've got to move on from someone that's been an equal the last 2 years offensively although his defense is at a career high.

I'm sure we can find a .260 guy from the portal or JUCO.

That's some pretty good info considering the date stamp, well done :)

Blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Unless it's a bullpen move with no scholarship, I disagree on Shay. Chick, no thanks - we've got to move on from someone that's been an equal the last 2 years offensively although his defense is at a career high.

I'm sure we can find a .260 guy from the portal or JUCO.

Blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.
Seems like Schanaman and Chick would just move on, especially since they're married/engaged. To be fair to Chick he's hitting .299 and getting on base at a .505 clip in conference play which will be hard to replace.

Has the 2022 team set the record for these yet?

That's a good question.

Also just to clarify, I should of said that Martin is most likely not coming back. I have no knowledge of the situation and my statement was speculative.

As far as the Seniors that have the possibility of an extra year, I am thinking that Cervantes, Everitt, Bunz and Frank do not qualify for that as they were Juco recruits who came in after the 2020 season.

Last edited:
That's a good question.

Also just to clarify, I should of said that Martin is most likely not coming back. I have no knowledge of the situation and my statement was speculative.

As far as the Seniors that have the possibility of an extra year, I am thinking that Cervantes, Everitt, Bunz and Frank do not qualify for that as they were Juco recruits who came in after the 2020 season.

It was discussed here yesterday, Martin is gone.

McCarville is the only player on the roster that has 0 eligibility remaining after this season. All others have at least 1 additional year. It doesn't matter if you were JUCO or 4-year in 2020, as long as you were in "college", the NCAA granted all participants an extra season.

The details are in post #13 in this very thread.

My apologies, I haven't been reading all the game threads so missed out on the Martin news. As far as the seniors I didn't know this applied to Jucos. That was not clear to me. Thanks for the enlightment.

It's confirmed he has a lease on a place in Lincoln. Whew. Super excited about this one!

Reactions: k9_r
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT