ADVERTISEMENT

Questions for guys that know Chicago.

kerpal_68

Athletic Director
Dec 12, 2005
I'll be in Chicago Wednesday through Friday for work in Glendale Heights. It's my first time on Chicago. What would be the best method to make my way to the arena for the Husker game Wednesday if I would choose to go? I don't know anything about the area my training center is in so any info is great.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I'm not an expert on Chicago's transit system, but I think the Metra UP West Line would get you near the United Center:

Metra transit map

Keeping it simple. Trains in Chicago are by color. I would take the Blue Line.

Trains

Blue Line
The stadium is just a few blocks north of the Blue Line. The shortest walk is by exiting the station to Damen Avenue (western-most exit) and walk north on Damen to Madison.

To get to the Illinois Medical District stop from the west (including the far West Side and the communities of Forest Park and Oak Park), take a Blue Line train toward O'Hare. From the east and north (including downtown, the Northwest Side, northwest suburbs east of O'Hare and directly from O'Hare Airport), take a Blue Line train toward Forest Park.

Green and Pink Lines

The stadium is two blocks south and three blocks west of the Pink Lines.

To get to the Ashland/Lake station from the west, take a Green Line train toward Ashland/63rd or Cottage Grove, or a Pink Line train toward the Loop. From the east (including downtown or the South Side portions of the Green Line), take a Green Line train toward Harlem/Lake or a Pink Line train toward 54th/Cermak.

Originally posted by kerpal_68:
I'll be in Chicago Wednesday through Friday for work in Glendale Heights. It's my first time on Chicago. What would be the best method to make my way to the arena for the Husker game Wednesday if I would choose to go? I don't know anything about the area my training center is in so any info is great.
You're in a bad spot with Glendale Heights. The L will not be anywhere near you out there. You can drive to a metra station and take a train from there, then transfer to the L once you get downtown. The problem with metra is they only run so often, so if you miss one train, you might be two hours til the next one.

If you're that set on trying to go to the game, I'd just drive but be warned, it's going to take you a long time and parking is going to be expensive. If you don't mind the cost, the simplest bet might be just to call a cab.

Are you staying in Glendale Heights or in Chicago? There's not a really easy way to get to the city from Glendale Heights.

You may want to invest in a taxi ride - either all the way to the United Center, or maybe to the Oak Park Green Line (CTA) and ride from there.

Originally posted by chicolby:
Are you staying in Glendale Heights or in Chicago? There's not a really easy way to get to the city from Glendale Heights.

You may want to invest in a taxi ride - either all the way to the United Center, or maybe to the Oak Park Green Line (CTA) and ride from there.
That's not a bad idea. Then the green line would take you right to the Ashland stop a few blocks from the UC. But if you're...ahem...."scared of the dark" then the Green line is not for you. I used to ride it from work all the time, but I know how some people have different fears than I do.

There's really no ideal way to do it. The traffic to and from the west suburbs can be a nightmare.

I used Uber everywhere I went in Chicago. Even all the way from the South Loop to Evanston was super cheap and they pick you up within minutes of ordering one. The best thing is the payments are all automatic and you aren't supposed to tip.

Thanks for the help guys and the offer HTO. I was hoping there was an easier route. I was thinking it would be nice to go since I'll be some what close but looks like it's not worth the hassle. I was going ti be cutting it close time wise anyway.

Originally posted by 300HSKR:
I used Uber everywhere I went in Chicago. Even all the way from the South Loop to Evanston was super cheap and they pick you up within minutes of ordering one. The best thing is the payments are all automatic and you aren't supposed to tip.
100% correct. get the Uber App for your phone. We save so much on cab fare in Chicago by using Uber. Convenient, cheaper and don't have the concerns about getting ripped off. Can be tough to find cabs in some areas of Chicago and takes up to an hour if you call and order one. Uber seems to get us a ride within 10-15 minutes max. Good weekend to be in Chicago. lots of St Patty's day stuff will be going one. The good people of Chicago know how to drink so should be a party. I know it will be for me

Originally posted by Mtnhusker:

100% correct. get the Uber App for your phone. We save so much on cab fare in Chicago by using Uber. Convenient, cheaper and don't have the concerns about getting ripped off. Can be tough to find cabs in some areas of Chicago and takes up to an hour if you call and order one. Uber seems to get us a ride within 10-15 minutes max. Good weekend to be in Chicago. lots of St Patty's day stuff will be going one. The good people of Chicago know how to drink so should be a party. I know it will be for me
If he's tight on time it won't solve the traffic problem, though. I'm guessing he's getting done at rush hour since it's a business thing.

Originally posted by TheBeav815:
Originally posted by Mtnhusker:

If he's tight on time it won't solve the traffic problem, though. I'm guessing he's getting done at rush hour since it's a business thing.
If ti is rush hour and he is worried about time then we need to figure out how to get him to the best train route. I hate Chicago traffic, can be real frustrating at times.

Not sure any of you chicago residents are on right now but is there anything I must see while here. I have the rest of the day to do anything.

Originally posted by kerpal_68:
Not sure any of you chicago residents are on right now but is there anything I must see while here. I have the rest of the day to do anything.

I work in Glendale Heights and as stated above, it is a mass transit dead zone.

The Chicago suburbs are basically Omaha. You get out there and it's all sprawl and shopping centers. I loved living in the city, but we wanted a decent sized house and we realized we didn't actually do "city" things any more and we might as well live anywhere. You don't have to live in Lakeview to stay in on Friday nights and go for bike rides.

Originally posted by TheBeav815:
The Chicago suburbs are basically Omaha. You get out there and it's all sprawl and shopping centers. I loved living in the city, but we wanted a decent sized house and we realized we didn't actually do "city" things any more and we might as well live anywhere. You don't have to live in Lakeview to stay in on Friday nights and go for bike rides.
Beav I totally agree and that is why my wife, kids and I still live in the city, and if we were going to leave, it'd be to Omaha - and she's born and raised here. Other than reading a different morning paper there's basically no difference between living in Omaha and the suburbs - except the cost to do so.

Old Irving Park (Addison and Milwaukee), if you were to ask.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT