ADVERTISEMENT

Question on the pitcher from Norris?

oldred

Nebraska Legend
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Lincoln
Is Hood just not ready, hurt or what ? I was wondering why he has not had a chance since our pitching has struggled.

Thought he was a stretch offer, better pitching prospects within the state a couple years back. Still think he'd been better off to go the JUCO route out of high school.

He was the #1 right handed pitcher in Nebraska and #128 nationally. I'm pretty sure others on our team pitch that were ranked lower. I'm thinking either he is in the doghouse or was massively overrated by recruiting services. Still, I would like to see him get a shot one of these days...

From what I noticed he wasn't in San Diego I could be wrong but I am pretty sure he wasnt there.

He was the #1 right handed pitcher in Nebraska and #128 nationally.

Means very little, if anything at all.

I stand by it, he should've went the JUCO route as continued pitching would've benefited him, in the right program, more than redshirting.

Means very little, if anything at all.

I stand by it, he should've went the JUCO route as continued pitching would've benefited him, in the right program, more than redshirting.
Hood, Byron.........
0.00 ERA
1-0 W-L
2 Games
4 IP 0 Hits 0 BB 0 R 0 ER 3 K's
not a bad start if you ask me...... And I know it is only 2 game and 4 ip

Radio guys say he has tremendous velocity but lacks control at times. A lot like Knutson.

Hood has performed well in the few innings he's been on the mound.

Radio guys say he has tremendous velocity but lacks control at times. A lot like Knutson.

Hood has performed well in the few innings he's been on the mound.
Hood lacked control at times in HS and that is a huge pet peeve of coach Silva. His senior year he had 60 strikeouts and 44 walks. Not a great K/BB ratio. He does have great stuff and if he can learn to control it, can be effective. What I noticed in HS was that he tried to throw hard enough to strike everyone out and lost control instead of staying within himself and trusting his stuff.

Hood lacked control at times in HS and that is a huge pet peeve of coach Silva. His senior year he had 60 strikeouts and 44 walks. Not a great K/BB ratio. He does have great stuff and if he can learn to control it, can be effective. What I noticed in HS was that he tried to throw hard enough to strike everyone out and lost control instead of staying within himself and trusting his stuff.
Sounds like (The big unit) Randy Johnson to me.

Hood, Byron.........
0.00 ERA
1-0 W-L
2 Games
4 IP 0 Hits 0 BB 0 R 0 ER 3 K's
not a bad start if you ask me...... And I know it is only 2 game and 4 ip

Doesn't change my opinion at all, 2 years later. The "stats" you responded with have nothing to do with what I said. He didn't pitch last year, for a reason, and his limited action against low end competition further supports what I stated. I hope to heck he gets it figured out, throw sky is the limit and it'll only benefit not just him but our staff and the entire team.

Try again.

But, but, but, he was the "#1 RHP" in Nebraska 2 years ago. :rolleyes:

Care to update everyone after Friday's game?
Sure.

Player ERA W-L APP GS CG SHO/CBO SV IP H R ER BB SO 2B 3B HR AB B/Avg WP HBP BK
Hood, Byron 8.31 1-0 3 0 0 0/1 0 4.1 1 4 4 3 3 0 0 0 14 .071 0 0 0 0 0

Doesn't change my opinion either. Long season/career.

Sure.

Player ERA W-L APP GS CG SHO/CBO SV IP H R ER BB SO 2B 3B HR AB B/Avg WP HBP BK
Hood, Byron 8.31 1-0 3 0 0 0/1 0 4.1 1 4 4 3 3 0 0 0 14 .071 0 0 0 0 0

Doesn't change my opinion either. Long season/career.

Ah, you need to be asked to give an update, gotcha.

So, your opinion was/is, "he sounds like Randy Johnson", can't wait to watch him dominate MLB and win a World Series, including a WS MVP, 4 or 5 Cy Youngs, Triple Crown, lead MLB in wins for a season, ERA leader numerous seasons, strikeout leader multiple times, double digit All-star games, have his jersey retired by 1 team while making another teams HOF.

With that said, I really don't know what your opinion is, outside of the above...

you can be wild and successful in college to a certain extent

Mark McCormick from baylor from back in the day.... he got enough control for college by his junior year and was a monster.... got drafted in the supplemental first round but bombed in the pros due to lack of control...

only reason i remember him is brian duensing threw that shutout in that 1-0 game against him in the big 12 tournament that year (2005).... plus he bombed for my cardinals :-s

Reactions: HuskerTimOmaha
Sandy Koufax was the biggest bonus baby of his time. Rode the bench for five years. The secret location of the strike zone was a great mystery to him. Then one day he found the strike zone and the rest is history.

Don't know anything about Byron Hood, not comparing him to anyone. I just always liked the Sandy Koufax story.

Sounds just like Rick "The Wild Thing" Vaughn (minus the juvenile delinquency in the off-season).

If a thread has reduced to let's figure out every angle how to run a kid down, I am thinking the thread has lived long enough.

The Collective

Nobody is running him down, everyone wants him to be successful. @RobsterMobster tried to get cute, it backfired, like it always does eventually...

What people have done is state facts, Hood has control issues, and he also has unlimited potential. I'm not sure how either are running him down.

Nobody is running him down, everyone wants him to be successful. @RobsterMobster tried to get cute, it backfired, like it always does eventually...

What people have done is state facts, Hood has control issues, and he also has unlimited potential. I'm not sure how either are running him down.

How did I get cute? You may have confused me with someone else.

Give me Hood!
You mean Byron Hood?
Oh my God, it's him. Crank it, Jerry!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT