ADVERTISEMENT

Question from a Gopher fan

Littlefinger

Head Coach
Sep 5, 2004
Obviously Minnesota has had some luck against your squad with 2 consecutive wins, but prior to this, Nebraska dominated Minnesota for decades. I noticed tonight that prior to 1963, Nebraska never once won more than 1 game in a row versus Minnesota, and prior to the big streak for Nebraska, Minnesota had an all-time record of 29-6-2 versus Nebraska. Are there any Nebraska fans that are worried that Minnesota has balanced out the series, being a bit more competitive, such that we won't see another streak like Nebraska had? Will Nebraska ever take the win lead in the series? If so, what year do you think that Nebraska will take over the series lead?

I don't chalk the Gophers' recent wins up to luck - they were the better team in both instances.

Having said that, I don't think most people really give a crap one way or the other about the all-time series. Decades ago, it made sense for Nebraska to drop games to Minnesota. These days, not so much.

Not as long as you've got Jerry Kill coaching. I was skeptical until I attended the NU/Minn game in Minneapolis 2 years ago. Bo and his staff were completely outclassed. So I wasn't surprised when you won again this year. MR may be Jerry Kill's equal, but I don't expect his Nebraska teams to dominate JK's teams like Devaney and Osborne dominated Minnesota in the past.

On a different note, I was not very impressed with your fan support at home. Lots of empty seats. Your fans were great, though. Good sports and in good humor, even when things weren't going their way. Although I understand they had recently made major stadium improvements, I also did not particularly like the stadium configuration (particularly considering the probability of cold, windy, wintry weather). Campus was nice although it seemed less compact and intimate than Nebraska's downtown campus. Perhaps more trees? better landscaping?--at any rate, something seemed not quite as welcoming and comfortable as it could have been. The River running through campus seemed as though it offered a lot of unfulfilled opportunities. The beer situation was downright strange. You could buy beer as you entered the stadium, and then bring it in. At half time, you could go outside the front gate, buy beer--and bring it in. Odd. As a visitor, information about Minnesota traditions would have been of interest. What's that original cheer and it's history? I only learned about that recently and still don't know the full story.

Squid, if it was hockey, I'd be worried. Since it's football and I think they wore leather helmets before 1963, enjoy the well-earned victories because I think NU will beat down the Gophers for the next ten years straight and overtake the series lead. All just my humble opinion.

Originally posted by NukedSquid:
Obviously Minnesota has had some luck against your squad with 2 consecutive wins, but prior to this, Nebraska dominated Minnesota for decades. I noticed tonight that prior to 1963, Nebraska never once won more than 1 game in a row versus Minnesota, and prior to the big streak for Nebraska, Minnesota had an all-time record of 29-6-2 versus Nebraska. Are there any Nebraska fans that are worried that Minnesota has balanced out the series, being a bit more competitive, such that we won't see another streak like Nebraska had? Will Nebraska ever take the win lead in the series? If so, what year do you think that Nebraska will take over the series lead?
I think the 2015 season will be big for Minnesota. Ask me that question next December.

If Kill and staff can can again follow up the last two years with another 8 or 9+ win season despite the loss of players like
Maxx Williams, Cobb, Damien Wilson, Cedrick Wilson, Epping, Olson, and Cam Boticelli, then I will definitely believe they are are well on their way to being a consistent top 25 team again.

Cobb and Williams were dynamic studs who will make an impact in the NFL. Both guys will play for a long time. They were apart of a nucleus of studs who had tons of experience and really helped Kill get the program off the ground.

2015 will be a big year to showcase the direction of the program. If they don't take a step back, they are clearly here to stay.

Not worried about ANY single opponent or Minnesota specifically. Just worried about Nebraska itself getting back to realizing its potential. In other words, it's about US, not about anybody else. It's really about us having the right head coach (easier said than done). Don't know if Riley is it or not but we'll see what happens next season.

With series at 31-22-2 Nebraska would have to win 2 out of 3 games for the next 3 Decades to go ahead in the series.

Don't really know if anyone is concerned about the all time series as much as winning the BIG West every season. Minnesota has them selves a good one in Jerry Kill and think they'll be a tougher game than the Iowa series. Both need to knock down Wisconsin at this point in time.

I don't know that I've ever met a NU fan that was concerned much with series wins/losses, there may be some here on this board, I don't know though. The B1G has the trophies that you guys have played for, so series may have more meaning for you (you win the axe). We had never played for a matchup trophy (that I know of) until the B1G decided to call Iowa our rival and designate it a trophy game. And of course now we also have the broken chair trophy we share with you guys.

So, do you guys care more about your series with Wisconsin (because there's a long-running trophy) than any of the other teams?

Of course we will take the win lead. Minn. isn't going to roll over, but it is still Minn.

OP hasn't been outside in a week and has drunk for the last 3 days. Cut him some slack.

Minnesota has improved. Congrats on that. Nebraska has had many losses over the past 7 years as the direct result of horrible coaching. We have fixed that issue and will not be getting outcoached on a weekly basis any longer.

Originally posted by wseattlesker:
Not as long as you've got Jerry Kill coaching. I was skeptical until I attended the NU/Minn game in Minneapolis 2 years ago. Bo and his staff were completely outclassed.
If I'm recalling correctly, Kill was on sick leave in 2013. His defensive coordinator, who has been with him for decades, was filling in. I'm more impressed with Kill's staff than with Kill individually.

Minnesota didn't get lucky. They were the better team.

But no, I am not worried. I think Kill is a great coach and Minnesota will be competitive with him as the coach. However, I don't think he's going to be landing the talent to take much more of a leap forward. So there you have it, i think MN will be consistently good. The question is can Nebraska be great? And I think the answer to that is "yes."

Originally posted by knightwxc5000:
Minnesota didn't get lucky. They were the better team.

But no, I am not worried. I think Kill is a great coach and Minnesota will be competitive with him as the coach. However, I don't think he's going to be landing the talent to take much more of a leap forward. So there you have it, i think MN will be consistently good. The question is can Nebraska be great? And I think the answer to that is "yes."

In 2014, after all the injuries suffered by the Huskers the previous weeks, Minnesota actually had a better team on the field that day. You don't win football games on the road where you give up blocked kicks for touchdowns unless you're the better team....
Minnesota and Kill not only outcoached the Huskers, they had a better football team.

The reality of that game, and how they lost, did more to doom Bo Pelini's future than any other football game in his tenure.

Do I think Minnesota was better at the beginning of the season? No. Would they have probably won that game in September? No. But after the grind of a full season, the Gophers were built better to compete in November. Bo failed to build his roster the right way. He failed to maintain depth at the line of scrimmage, and he failed to prepare young guys to step up.

MN is no longer a doormat. They're not blowing the doors off in recruiting, but they're well coached and they play to their kids' strengths.

Nebraska SHOULD be capable of out-recruiting MN such that if the coaching is equal, NU will wear the Gophers down and the talent gap will show late in the game.

But those last two years, Nebraska deserved to lose despite being the more talented team. They were outworked.

Originally posted by NukedSquid:
As long as Jerry Kill is coaching the Gophers, I think it will be great football games with the Huskers. I love your coaching staff! You are very fortunate to have a player's coach like Kill. Just like the other posters, I don't think anyone cares about the all time records... we just want to win all our games every year.

based on last year maybe not

EDIT:

I didn’t notice this was a thread from 2015 someone decided to dig up. What is the point of that?

based on last year maybe not

wow dude, are you bored or what? Why the hell would you bring back to life a 5 year old thread? What anyone said back then makes no difference anyways. A lot can happen and or change in 5 freaking years. And the “LAST YEAR” scores mean nothing. The year before last Frost and the Huskers absolutely blew out Minnesota and we all seen what happen the next season didn’t we? Frost blew out Fleck and Fleck blew out Frost. Literally anything could happen in the Fleck vs Frost game 3. I’ll say that much.

Last edited:
Any fan of a team that has beat Nebraska in the past five seasons, should view that win with a grain of salt. Hope that helps OP.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT