ADVERTISEMENT

Question about the past

Jhollenbeck41

Graduate Assistant
Nov 29, 2018
Do some of you still talk shit about Frost because you're old enough and still pissed off about the fact that he chose Stanford over Nebraska initially? The SI article mentions a quote about it in local cafes, I assume cafes in Lincoln. So I just figured I'd ask the board entirely if some of those people were people on here.

Do some of you still talk shit about Frost because you're old enough and still pissed off about the fact that he chose Stanford over Nebraska initially? The SI article mentions a quote about it in local cafes, I assume cafes in Lincoln. So I just figured I'd ask the board entirely if some of those people were people on here.
I highly doubt that what he did over 20 years ago is the reason for the criticism he is getting from some today. I think the criticism is coming only from the fact that he has two losing seasons in a row and some of the things he has said publicly about his players.

Last edited:
It wasn’t just Lincoln, it was all over the state. I was never pissed about it, but do know some that were at the time. We were a machine and I was stoked to get him back. I loved watching SF play, a truly great option QB.

As for today, sure we see people make comments about Stanford or LP or whatever from 20+ years ago, but those are the sad miserable types that would be bitching about anything and everything no matter what, so I just take those with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Figured I'd ask. Thought maybe it was one of them things where people just bitch and moan about his every move because deep down they're still pissed off he chose Stanford over King Tom, and will never get over it.

I never cared about him initially going to Stanford. It was never about that.

What people didn't like is that he struggled like hell in early 1996. He was God-awful in that Arizona State game, and the team got shut out in Tempe after not having lost a regular season game since 1992.

Tough spot to be in following probably the greatest option QB of all time in Frazier and his backup in Berringer who was projected to be drafted before his tragic death ahead of the draft. You could make the case that Berringer was the most beloved QB in NU history at that point for the way he stepped in and rallied the team in 94 and the way he carried himself after not winning the job in 95.

Also remember that NU was recruiting blue chip option QBs like crazy in those years. So the fans believed, with good reason, that if one guy couldn't get it done then let's see the other guy.

It wasn't that he picked Stanford at first, it's that he was never going to be Tommie or Brook. And I think nobody put that pressure on Scott more than Scott himself...except maybe Jason Peter.

I don't think it's about whether the fans like Frost. I think the better question is whether Frost ever forgave the fans for booing when they wanted Frankie London to stay in the game. He seems like a dude with an ability to hold a chip on his shoulder a very long time.

He isn't on the Bo Pelini level of being motivated by the "us vs them" narrative but there's definitely some of that to his personality.

The fans wanted Scott, the state was thrilled to have him as HC. What the fans don't like is 4 wins followed by 5 wins. It ain't personal, it's the W-L column that is raising eyebrows.

I'd say he's been better than expected in recruiting and worse than expected in game day coaching.

Especially last year. They should have won more games than they did, and Scott's decisions looked questionable at times. He was a lot to prove the next couple years about his ability to put the right guys on the field and call the right plays for them when it counts.

Believe so too..
That was a Jennings miss. Interesting info on why he changed from NU to KU.
To Bill Jennings, the 1961 Shrine Bowl must have felt like a movie preview. Gale Sayers scored four scintillating touchdowns — and made a few crushing tackles at linebacker — as the Nebraska coach watched from the Memorial Stadium sidelines.

“I like the way he went up there on defense and hit a few people,” Jennings said.

Sayers was slated to be Nebraska’s next star — he might even save the Husker coach’s job.

Then it all fell apart.

Sayers had signed a grant-in-aid agreement to Nebraska in June, but his recruiting visit still bothered him. Husker running back Willie Ross hollered at Sayers and teammate Vernon Breakfield to take off their Central letter jackets, nearly starting a fight. At the student union, they attended a dance with 44 black athletes and only two black girls.

Sayers and Breakfield were housed in a dorm basement, where heating pipes clanged and temperature fluctuated. I wouldn’t go to this college if they gave us $1 million, Breakfield told Sayers.

Jennings heard about the disaster and took Gale and Vernon out for a steak dinner. But Gale was never quite sold. Two weeks before school started, he visited Kansas, where KU’s top athletes greeted him warmly and showed him black fraternities and sororities.

Kansas had gone 7-2-1 in 1960; Nebraska was 4-6. Sayers thought the Jayhawks would better prepare him for the NFL. Ten days before classes started, he flipped to KU, citing pressure from Nebraska boosters. The news stirred an uproar in Omaha.

World-Herald columnist Wally Provost wrote that Sayers was a product of “the big-time college recruiting madness. Until the NCAA takes steps to stop it, the madness will prevail.” Indeed, the NCAA intervened in 1964 with the “national letter of intent,” preventing rivals from recruiting prospects after they signed.

Had the Huskers performed in 1961, whiffing on Sayers would’ve been forgiven. But Jennings went 3-6-1, earning a ticket out of town. His next job? Kansas running backs coach.

He got to coach Gale Sayers after all.

Yeah, criticism of Frost has nothing to do with all the losses, and everything to do with a good decision he made back in 1994.

Not grasping at straws here. More like grasping at atoms.

I really don't think that matters one bit, and I'm betting less than 1% of Neb fans even think about it. Any criticism he is getting now is based only on his teams performance the last 2 years.

No ill will from me. My guess it's a reporter taking things out of context. People tend to recite the whole story of how Coach Frost came to be. So in doing so everyone tells of going to Stanford and coming back home etc

Scott Frost the player was awesome to watch. Hope the same can be said very soon about Scott Frost the Head Coach.

A guy I work with hates Frost to this day because he went to Stanford. So I know the narrative exists

I think there were a handful of Blackshirts when Frost transferred did too...

SF had his noise bloody a few times but that was how he earned their respect or his spurs..They warmed up to him after he proved his worth on the scout team..

I think there were a handful of Blackshirts when Frost transferred did too...

SF had his noise bloody a few times but that was how he earned their respect or his spurs..They warmed up to him after he proved his worth on the scout team..
I'm not saying that doesn't happen now a days because I don't really know....but I'd be pretty shocked if that did actually happen with our team right now.

I'd say if anyone ever did hold a grudge, that was quickly erased when we won the natty in '97. The criticism from today comes from not winning. I would say that he's getting a longer leash due to the mess Eichorst and Pearlman left us in and more importantly because he is a local home grown product.
Don't be so sure about that. Most of the bitching I hear about Frost losing now comes from old farts who still whine about the Stanford thing. I'm an old fart too I guess now and there's still just a little butthurt for me on the Stanford thing even though I KNOW that a scholarship to Stanford would be foolish to turn down IMO. It worked out for him, BUT the average high schooler should jump at a Stanford degree if they can get one.

Larry Station wanted to play immediately and he wasn’t going to start for Nebraska for another 2 years...That is why he decided on Iowa..
So what you’re saying is, he was afraid of the competition.

Just wanted to say it before Bookman could infect the thread. Now he has no reason to.

Last edited:

No need to overthink it. It isn't just Scott Frost. Some of the people in Nebraska bitched about Devaney and Osborne. Bitched so long and hard you had to walk away from them or risk assaulting them they were so stupid. The same people bitch about every assistant coach and every player we have ever had. "Through these gates pass the greatest fans in college football". That could be true, but there are some real whiny @sses passing through right with them.

After 1997, absolutely Noooo! Frost has very thick skin to thrive after 95 scout team and 96 season disappointments.

silver lining.
poor treatment of sayers & his later rejection had to help open door for Devaney.
its all good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT