ADVERTISEMENT

Question about playing time/substitutions

Frank3749

Walk On
Oct 3, 2022
I never played football but love me some Huskers. One question I have pertains to Casey Thomson telling the coaches he was going back in to play and Mickey saying okay. I get Casey is the starter but is he on that level to do that? Mj mentions Casey’s family a lot so I’m wondering if this will cause some issues later on with the rest of the team. If players who start just say I’m going in just because I’m a starter even if playing poorly will that work long term? Again, I never played football or sports. I get Michael Jordan or Magic Johnson saying that.

Not sure what you are talking about. Mickey benched Casey for a series after taking a bad sack and then put him back in the next series.

Reactions: jsachisler
I never played football but love me some Huskers. One question I have pertains to Casey Thomson telling the coaches he was going back in to play and Mickey saying okay. I get Casey is the starter but is he on that level to do that? Mj mentions Casey’s family a lot so I’m wondering if this will cause some issues later on with the rest of the team. If players who start just say I’m going in just because I’m a starter even if playing poorly will that work long term? Again, I never played football or sports. I get Michael Jordan or Magic Johnson saying that.
Interesting first post newbie. What are some of your other usernames on here?

Last edited:
Not sure what you are talking about. Mickey benched Casey for a series after taking a bad sack and then put him back in the next series.
And said he will do it again if Thompson needs to see things from the sideline. Getting things reset as opposed to being directed to the bench.

I too thought it was interesting reading about Thompson telling Mickey he was going back in. Seemed like Mickey appreciated his passion and let him. Doubt he would if he didn't think Casey was responding well to being pulled. And glad he told Casey he'd do it again if he has to.

There MAY be a word missing from all this. I am "ready" to go back in. I have seen this hundreds of times. a kid gets hurt, he gets attention behind you on the bench area so you don't know if he is ready or not. They will come up and tell you (the coach) they are ready to go back in. Just a thought.

There MAY be a word missing from all this. I am "ready" to go back in. I have seen this hundreds of times. a kid gets hurt, he gets attention behind you on the bench area so you don't know if he is ready or not. They will come up and tell you (the coach) they are ready to go back in. Just a thought.
My exact thought before I read your reply. I would guess he said he was ready to go back in, with authority and certainty. A coach likes that kind of leadership.

2 different things happened. CT got benched after he took the bad sack. He came to the sideline and got his ass reamed by Whipple, Purdy comes in and loses the ball in the endzone. Then later in the game, CT took another sack, not sure it was his fault that time. Mickey talked about how after that play, CT told him he wanted to go back in right away and that he was OK, and would fight through the shoulder issue or whatever. I think for the most part CT stood there and took the heat from Whipple on the first mistake. Him wanting to come back in was more about him lying on the field after getting crunched and not wanting to sit out.

The incident about going in was when CT took a hit on a 3rd down play. His shoulder was hurt and had to get medical treatment. He told MJ as he was going to the medical tent he was going back in... nothing more to read into this. After the game CT said they would do more to look at his shoulder. If Purdy gets the start, this is why. I think he was and is hurt more than he wants to say. It was a pretty good shot on the shoulder.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
The incident about going in was when CT took a hit on a 3rd down play. His shoulder was hurt and had to get medical treatment. He told MJ as he was going to the medical tent he was going back in... nothing more to read into this. After the game CT said they would do more to look at his shoulder. If Purdy gets the start, this is why. I think he was and is hurt more than he wants to say. It was a pretty good shot on the shoulder.
Agree with everything except last 2 lines… if his shoulder was that bad, no way he makes the pass to Palmer in the 4th quarter. He had the wind at his back, but still, that was a heave that a bum shoulder wouldn’t be able to make imo.

Agree with everything except last 2 lines… if his shoulder was that bad, no way he makes the pass to Palmer in the 4th quarter. He had the wind at his back, but still, that was a heave that a bum shoulder wouldn’t be able to make imo.
CT didn't sound extremely positive in the post game... sent up a red flag for me.

I too thought it was interesting reading about Thompson telling Mickey he was going back in. Seemed like Mickey appreciated his passion and let him. Doubt he would if he didn't think Casey was responding well to being pulled. And glad he told Casey he'd do it again if he has to.
Hopefully Logan tells Mickey he is going in tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT