ADVERTISEMENT

Question about Nebraska recruiting

Aug 28, 2021
I'm just curious as to why Scott frost has not been able to recruit better at the quarterback position

And why did mccaffrey leave the team? I thought he had real potential last year in the few games I watch sorry I am a Alabama fan. Just remember Nebraska back in the days of 1971 when you beat us 38 to 6 in the Orange Bowl for the national championship

Adrian Martinez was a four-star recruit and ranked #7 dual-threat QB by Rivals.
Logan Smothers was a four-star recruit and ranked #4 dual-threat QB by Rivals.

Nebraska could get QB recruits, but didn't.

The real question might be why they weren't more aggressive to add at least one QB per class, possibly two. It seems like Frost was afraid Martinez would get scared of the competition and transfer away if there was another QB on the roster. Who knows. At any rate Nebraska has zilch for depth.

Frost said no to Joe Burrows, believe it or not. Then our backup quarterbacks transferred and now start for Rutgers, Oregon State, and (probably) Rice. Not a great list of schools, but all three are better than our current back ups.

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC and headcard
I'm just curious as to why Scott frost has not been able to recruit better at the quarterback position

And why did mccaffrey leave the team? I thought he had real potential last year in the few games I watch sorry I am a Alabama fan. Just remember Nebraska back in the days of 1971 when you beat us 38 to 6 in the Orange Bowl for the national championship
It's a good question. The quarterbacks we've taken have been damaged goods as in hurt their senior year. Not McCaffrey. I believe is that he values athleticism first and believes he can turn them into good throwers. It's not working out. Our backup is young and we've never seen him play. The consensus is that he does not have a strong arm.

What about the transfer portal? Also did frost put an emphasis on dominating off dominating up front on both lines of scrimmage

What about the transfer portal? Also did frost put an emphasis on dominating off dominating up front on both lines of scrimmage
He has recruited well on the O line but they are young, coaching is a question mark as well. On the D line we have got some depth from the portal but running a 3 - 4 defense has been a slow process with not all the pieces in place yet. We have slowly gotten better on Defense .

Reactions: BleedRed78
Well to start, Frost is not some good QB away from even being close to resembling a power 5
Coach.

With that said, Frost is still butthurt big time that in 96’ Nebraska fans booed him and wanted a QB change. His thinks, even though it will take a miracle….Martinez will redeem himself. But let’s be honest, while our QB position sucks…there is no development going on anywhere on the offensive side of the ball. And Frost’s play calling rivals Martinez inability to make the right read.

Reactions: BleedRed78

McCaffrey was given a shot to take over the starting QB partway through last season. Martinez was benched for 2 games and McCaffrey was given the nod.

He beat Penn State then looked like garbage against Illinois. Ended the season with 1 TD pass (it was on a shovel pass kind of play that was taken to the house if I remember correctly) and 6 interceptions.

To be fair, Martinez never threw TD passes last season either.

McCaffrey is a great athlete but he's not a QB. He's the kind of guy you play at WR and give one series a game under center to give the defense a different look and to take advantage of his athleticism.

I think he realized he wasn't going to play ahead of Martinez and wanted to play QB. So he transferred.

Reactions: headcard
So AMart didn’t miss any other open receivers?
That’s not what I said either you can’t read or you’re an idiot, maybe both. I watched all 3 possessions NU had in the 4th quarter. Omar Manning wasn’t even in on the final series, and on the 2nd series he only played 2 plays. Omar Manning never ran past any db in the 4th quarter.

That’s not what I said either you can’t read or you’re an idiot, maybe both. I watched all 3 possessions NU had in the 4th quarter. Omar Manning wasn’t even in on the final series, and on the 2nd series he only played 2 plays. Omar Manning never ran past any db in the 4th quarter.

Struck a nerve did I? I get it.. it’s a tough job to be an AMart apologist. I’d probably be cranky as well.

Btw, Omar Manning has done absolutely nothing positive for this team. If he wants to quit and cry because the QB didn’t throw him the ball then by all means quit. He already has anyways.

• Haha
Reactions: Red I 73 and WHCSC
Btw, Omar Manning has done absolutely nothing positive for this team. If he wants to quit and cry because the QB didn’t throw him the ball then by all means quit. He already has anyways.
What happened Saturday is exactly why I was skeptical of all the ‘vastly improved WR room’ stuff in the off-season

We will simply never know how good any of those guys are with AM throwing it to them

Reactions: countrybob
Struck a nerve did I? I get it.. it’s a tough job to be an AMart apologist. I’d probably be cranky as well.
I would love to see Haarberg if the coaches think he ready. AM has been a huge disappointment, but he has been the best option IMO. And that’s on the coaches not him.

The QB recruiting failures are compounded by the fact that absolutely everything in Frost's offense hinges on QB play. Frost not only hitched his wagon to Martinez as his starter, but also convinced himself that AM is a guy who can carry the team on his back. Spoiler alert: (He's not.)

I would love to see Haarberg if the coaches think he ready. AM has been a huge disappointment, but he has been the best option IMO. And that’s on the coaches not him.
if the coaches themselves aren't 'ready', why are we trusting them to deem anyone else 'ready'?

all this 'ready' stuff is complete hogwash. nobody perhaps in the history of college football was less ready than AM, who didn't even play his senior year of HS prior to starting game 1 as a true frosh and posting his best-ever season (by a mile, and still went 4-8).

enough with this meaningless nonsense already

The QB recruiting failures are compounded by the fact that absolutely everything in Frost's offense hinges on QB play. Frost not only hitched his wagon to Martinez as his starter, but also convinced himself that AM is a guy who can carry the team on his back. Spoiler alert: (He's not.)
I don’t think Frost is all in on Martinez. He just hasn’t been able to replace him with a better option.

Reactions: WHCSC
Not being able to replace Martinez
Frost being all in on Martinez

Don’t really care about the difference. I just know the team Frost puts out there is pathetic, and QB is exhibit A.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
And how do you know he didn’t offer Milton or Burrows a spot? Are you Scott Frost?
Burrows said Nebraska didn’t show any interest from Any of Nebraska coaches Milton may be a different story but he choose FSU..

I don’t think Frost is all in on Martinez. He just hasn’t been able to replace him with a better option.
So scale back the QB's role in the offense, so you don't need Superman to run it.

If you recruited a RB who you thought was the next Mike Rozier but he turned out to be David Horne, you wouldn't keep feeding him the ball 30 times per game.

You need to pull your head out. Burrows was n
Burrow publicly said he did not get offe
Burrow publicly said he did not get offered
He did not get an offer from Bo Pelini. How is that Frosts fault? Did Frost offer him in 2019? Probably not, Martinez had a great year as a freshman and probably felt like he wasn’t an upgrade at that time. Burrows went to an offense at LSU that was phenomenal. Had he gone to NU his career would have been over. Burrows got lucky.

Reactions: WHCSC
So scale back the QB's role in the offense, so you don't need Superman to run it.

If you recruited a RB who you thought was the next Mike Rozier but he turned out to be David Horne, you wouldn't keep feeding him the ball 30 times per game.
This whole team sucks ass. The O line was getting destroyed by Illinois. Even the passes AM completed he was being hit by d linemen. No holes for any of the three running backs. No player developement in 4 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT