ADVERTISEMENT

QBs that lose a lot

HuskerAlum92

First Team All-Big Ten
Jan 8, 2007
I was wondering if there has been a recent QB to start four years at a Power5 school and not register a single winning season. Racking my brain, I thought of Jay Cutler and he in fact was one: 2-10, 2-10, 2-9, 5-6 at Vanderbilt. Then a first round draft pick with starting NFL QB money for a decade plus. Anybody have any others?

Tanner Lee went 3-9 both years at Tulane before a 4-8 at Nebraska

There’s gotta be a couple from Purdue.

To qualify, the team has to have 4 straight losing seasons. And not have another viable QB option behind the starter. And probably have coaching stability throughout since a new coach would find somebody new. Which also means an athletic department that is apathetic to the results. In other words, a pretty pathetic situation. Something on the order of the Hawkins era at CU as someone mentioned.

To qualify, the team has to have 4 straight losing seasons. And not have another viable QB option behind the starter. And probably have coaching stability throughout since a new coach would find somebody new. Which also means an athletic department that is apathetic to the results. In other words, a pretty pathetic situation. Something on the order of the Hawkins era at CU as someone mentioned.
Umm, yeah...Purdue.

Reactions: Chuck003
I wonder how many coaches have survived four straight losing seasons.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Not quite meeting thread requirements but Carson Palmer had a rough start to his USC career before winning the Heisman, becomming the #1 draft pick, and having a long, productive NFL career.

Freshman: 8-5,
7 TDs, 6 Ints

Medical Redshirt: Team goes 6-6
3 TDs, 3 Ints

Sophomore: 5-7,
16 TDs, 18 Ints

Junior: 6-6,
13 TDs, 12 Ints

Senior: 11-2,
33 TDs, 8 Ints

Reactions: HuskerO
That’s is really something we don’t need. I always thought some of that early heisman talk kind of screwed up AM with additional pressure that he didn’t need.

let’s hope his confidence grows and he can work us towards a division title.. manage the offense, keep turnovers to a minimum.

we don’t need to be putting more on his plate than that.

Another player who doesn't fit the thread requirements because he only started 3 years. Drew Stanton lost a lot of college games but was drafted high and had a lengthy NFL career.

Sophomore: 5-7
8 TDs, 6 Ints

Junior: 5-6
22 TDs, 12 Ints

Senior: 4-8
12 TDs, 10 Ints

2nd round draft pick.
7 years in the NFL.
Career earnings were $26 million.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Tremendous respect for AM - the coaching staff has essentially allowed him to be labeled the scapegoat for their own failures in every aspect of running this program - including, but not limited to, being able to recruit, develop and retain another even remotely capable QB

I was wondering if there has been a recent QB to start four years at a Power5 school and not register a single winning season. Racking my brain, I thought of Jay Cutler and he in fact was one: 2-10, 2-10, 2-9, 5-6 at Vanderbilt. Then a first round draft pick with starting NFL QB money for a decade plus. Anybody have any others?
So it looks like quite a few with 3 or more. And some are pretty good.

Is this the result you were thinking you would get?

Tremendous respect for AM - the coaching staff has essentially allowed him to be labeled the scapegoat for their own failures in every aspect of running this program - including, but not limited to, being able to recruit, develop and retain another even remotely capable QB
he is not the scapegoat for their collective failures. he is merely a product of them.

in any program with remotely competent depth, his starting days would've mercifully ended long ago. it's approaching cruel and unusual to continue to trot him out there.

So it looks like quite a few with 3 or more. And some are pretty good.

Is this the result you were thinking you would get?
Jay Cutler + Cody Hawkins != 3. 2 people total in the modern era of college football history is not quite a few in my book.

I expected it to be very rare, and it is.

Here's the list of D1 QBs in NCAA history, who have winning records in 20 or more starts where their team allows more than 36 ppg:

tenor.gif

Also, Patrick Mahomes was 13-19 as a starter at Texas Tech, but only played 3 seasons before heading to the NFL. The Red Raiders allowed roughly 43 ppg during his tenure.

Are you a coach with a winning record or just another pessimistic loser. There was a lot of average players when he arrived and recruiting has been difficult to say the least. This class is all in and I anxiously await the opportunity to tell you how wrong you were.

Before it is confused:

Yo Adrian is not anyone I would ever compare with Elway.

The point is we seem to have a bad QB. Historically bad.

Those of us 60 years old and beyond understand this.

Elway was good, our current QB is not.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Let’s be real. This coaching staff has had and still has no options other than AM at QB. Recruiting rb’s and WR’s to play QB has Scott in a pretty tough spot right now .
He should have at least tried to get a QB in the recent portal. Now he is going to have to hope that some QB that is going to ride the pine this fall decides to jump ship and we get him.

I guess he could be stubborn and just hope AM works out .

Here's the list of D1 QBs in NCAA history, who have winning records in 20 or more starts where their team allows more than 36 ppg:

tenor.gif

Also, Patrick Mahomes was 13-19 as a starter at Texas Tech, but only played 3 seasons before heading to the NFL. The Red Raiders allowed roughly 43 ppg during his tenure.
Nice take!

Reactions: dinglefritz
Let’s be real. This coaching staff has had and still has no options other than AM at QB. Recruiting rb’s and WR’s to play QB has Scott in a pretty tough spot right now .
He should have at least tried to get a QB in the recent portal. Now he is going to have to hope that some QB that is going to ride the pine this fall decides to jump ship and we get him.

That is what happens when you start a freshman from game 1, especially when you don't recruit someone better or even potentially better. AND when there isn't even the illusion of a true competition.

Look at what happened when Taylor Martinez started, there was Cody Green in the same class, he eventually transferred, there was Brion Carnes, who was a 4 star that was signed before Martinez actually started a game. He also transferred out to Northern Iowa and was less than a 50% passer with a 1/1 TD/INT ratio. Then came Jamal Turner, who was really never recruited to be a QB. Finally you got Tommy Armstrong, who played early because Martinez was so beat up. But by then you have another Freshman starting and they cycle repeats itself. Johnny Stanton, transfers and ends up being like a LB at UNLV, AJ Bush, 2 star, ends up transferring, no QB taken in 2015 but you bring in Lee as a transfer. Your two back ups to Armstrong were walk ons Kellogg and Fife In 2016 Patrick O' Brien, 2017 Tristan Gebbia. both gone and now you have Adrian Martinez. Rinse and repeat.

Looks like we are the opposite of Oklahoma.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...and-deeper-than-ever/ar-BB1g4Dmo?ocid=DELLDHP

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
OU had a mass exodus of scholarship QBs when it became apparent that Rattler was going to be named starter. It probably helps their recruiting of QBs to have QBs leave early and drafted high by the NFL though. IF we ever had a QB drafted in the first few rounds I suspect our QB recruiting would get much easier.
It definitely helps that their QBs actually deliver on Heisman hype instead of slipping on their own excrement and sliding down a 2-year (and counting) plume of on-field impotence.

• Haha
Before it is confused:

Yo Adrian is not anyone I would ever compare with Elway.

The point is we seem to have a bad QB. Historically bad.

Those of us 60 years old and beyond understand this.

Elway was good, our current QB is not.
Actually Elway in college isn't a bad comparison to Adrian. Physically and tools wise I think there is a fair resemblance between the two. Elway's TD/INT ratio was roughly 2/1. He did set at the time an NCAA record for the fewest number of interceptions per pass attempt. He just threw the ball a TON which led to a lot of passing yards, TDs and interceptions. Overall he had a losing record at Stanford and I think their best finish was 6-6. IF I remember correctly Stanford's offense was almost entirely chuck it deep.

Actually Elway in college isn't a bad comparison to Adrian. Physically and tools wise I think there is a fair resemblance between the two. Elway's TD/INT ratio was roughly 2/1. He did set at the time an NCAA record for the fewest number of interceptions per pass attempt. He just threw the ball a TON which led to a lot of passing yards, TDs and interceptions. Overall he had a losing record at Stanford and I think their best finish was 6-6. IF I remember correctly Stanford's offense was almost entirely chuck it deep.
Our offense, due mostly to AM’s lack of even mid-round arm talent, consists entirely of glorified handoffs to the point that when he threw a deep incompletion in the spring game it drew ‘oohs’ and ‘aahs’.

Our offense, due mostly to AM’s lack of even mid-round arm talent, consists entirely of glorified handoffs to the point that when he threw a deep incompletion in the spring game it drew ‘oohs’ and ‘aahs’.
I don't remember Elway's accuracy in college. It seems like he threw a lot of INTs at least his first year in the NFL. I think AM fairs poorly in decision making and accuracy if compared to Elway in college but he does have a strong arm. Our WRs, O line and lack of a consistent run game no doubt hasn't helped AM. Let's hope all of those factors are better this year and it results in better QB play.

Reactions: bshirt73
I don't remember Elway's accuracy in college. It seems like he threw a lot of INTs at least his first year in the NFL. I think AM fairs poorly in decision making and accuracy if compared to Elway in college but he does have a strong arm. Our WRs, O line and lack of a consistent run game no doubt hasn't helped AM. Let's hope all of those factors are better this year and it results in better QB play.
Elway was drafted in 2 sports which value raw arm talent.

AM will be drafted in zero such sports.

tenor.gif

without looking it up, I'll guess AM has exactly zero wins in 3 years when we allow 43 points.

Elway was drafted in 2 sports which value raw arm talent.

AM will be drafted in zero such sports.
AM is damaged goods after multiple shoulder surgeries. He'll still get signed by somebody as an UDFA I bet. I don't think AM even played high school baseball. I've seen Adrian launch a ball rougly 65-70 yards in the air an one point. Elway had a rocket for an arm.

With Elway as a backup in 1979: 5-5-1
With Elway as a starter in 1980: 6-5
With Elway as a starter in 1981: 4-7
With Elway as a starter in 1982: 5-6
That 6-5 year keeps Elway off the list
Most losing QBs don’t get to keep their job for 4 years before being replaced.

Ditto for coaches.
And that’s why the list is very short. Two names: Jay Cutler and Cody Hawkins.

If we don’t go at least 7-6, Scott Frost and Dan Hawkins will have something very rare in common for coaching infamy. Four straight losing seasons without managing to find or develop a viable backup QB to possibly avoid it.

• Sad
I will say also that Jay Cutler is the perfect exception. Worst football school with zero expectations in an otherwise football-centric conference. Cutler himself had incredible arm talent, so it’s no surprise at all that no backups could unseat him. His losing in college was blamed on Vanderbilt, but his NFL career exposed that his attitude/persona was a big reason why winning was never his habit.

ADVERTISEMENT