ADVERTISEMENT

QB transfer portals

martinez completed 71.5% of his passes en route to his 2-4 record as a starter this season.

completion % isn't the issue. I'm not sure there's a qb in D1 who lacks the 'it' factor more than our elite athlete under center.
Well there's completion percentage and then there's completion percentage. I should have said "accuracy". He missed a bunch of open guys this season. That said, we could live with that if he avoided the turnovers. I put maybe too much blame on him and not enough on guys who can't remember snap counts and how to block without getting a holding call. We killed a lot of drives with penalties. Then you add in the special teams gaffes and suddenly the QB has to play perfect.

Likewise people bitch about play calling but man the offense gave us opportunities. We missed too many.

Reactions: HominidHusker
what is the record, wins and losses wise? you left those stats out, and those are the most important for the position.

Current or future Drafted NFL Players on Defense while Wilson was at Kentucky - 6
Current or Future Drafted NFL Offensive Linemen while Wilson was at Kentucky - 4
Current or Future Drafted NFL Skill Players while Wilson was at Kentucky - 3

NFL Draft picks on Nebraska's defense during Adrian's tenure - 2
NFL Drafted Offensive linemen during Adrian's Tenure- 1 (maybe - Jaimes has a 6 to 7th round grade)
NFL Skill Players during Adrian's Tenure - 0

Adrian has lost 8 games where the team scored more than 30 points. Those would've been wins for Kentucky.

Current or future Drafted NFL Players on Defense while Wilson was at Kentucky - 6
Current or Future Drafted NFL Offensive Linemen while Wilson was at Kentucky - 4
Current or Future Drafted NFL Skill Players while Wilson was at Kentucky - 3

NFL Draft picks on Nebraska's defense during Adrian's tenure - 2
NFL Drafted Offensive linemen during Adrian's Tenure- 1 (maybe - Jaimes has a 6 to 7th round grade)
NFL Skill Players during Adrian's Tenure - 0

Adrian has lost 8 games where the team scored more than 30 points. Those would've been wins for Kentucky.
Devine made a team as did Stanley. We don't know going forward either about Mills or guys like Martin. W/L record is a really poor way to evaluate a QB.

Reactions: 9and4
Adrian Martinez would be one of the top QB's available in the Transfer Portal.

Its difficult to not mock you people over here when you think a QB from Houston Baptist, who could only start at Western Kentucky, would be a better option than Adrian Martinez.

Houston Baptist and Western Kentucky would both bend over backwards to take Adrian Martinez off of Nebraska's hands right now.

The only type of Portal Transfer QB that would be a better option than a kid who has started 20+ games with more than 7,000 total yards at a Power 5 program, is an ELITE top 25 type former recruit.

A dude from a non power 5 or a part time power 5 starter is not going to come here and unseat Martinez.

The more pressing issue for Nebraska is bringing in some elite high end receiving and RB talent.

Devine made a team as did Stanley. We don't know going forward either about Mills or guys like Martin. W/L record is a really poor way to evaluate a QB.

I'm replying to a dumb comment about Terry Wilson's record as a QB compared to Adrian Martinez. Wilson at Nebraska would've been worse than Martinez. Conversely, a QB like Adrian in a more simplistic ball control offense with a much better offensive line, Rb's and receivers, would've pushed for All-SEC honors, especially in 2018 when Kentucky was really loaded on both sides of the ball.

Adrian Martinez would be one of the top QB's available in the Transfer Portal.

Its difficult to not mock you people over here when you think a QB from Houston Baptist, who could only start at Western Kentucky, would be a better option than Adrian Martinez.

Houston Baptist and Western Kentucky would both bend over backwards to take Adrian Martinez off of Nebraska's hands right now.

The only type of Portal Transfer QB that would be a better option than a kid who has started 20+ games with more than 7,000 total yards at a Power 5 program, is an ELITE top 25 type former recruit.

A dude from a non power 5 or a part time power 5 starter is not going to come here and unseat Martinez.

The more pressing issue for Nebraska is bringing in some elite high end receiving and RB talent.
While I like our young WRs and RBs, we don't have a guy like Texas's freshman RB. I think the guys we have like Scott may develop in to really good players but we're not getting grad transfer guys like Sermon.

I'm replying to a dumb comment about Terry Wilson's record as a QB compared to Adrian Martinez. Wilson at Nebraska would've been worse than Martinez. Conversely, a QB like Adrian in a more simplistic ball control offense with a much better offensive line, Rb's and receivers, would've pushed for All-SEC honors, especially in 2018 when Kentucky was really loaded on both sides of the ball.
I would like your post except for the post about All SEC honors. That's a stretch IMO.

Right? I mean Zac Lee was an awesome QB because his 2009 team went 10-4. Better to have Alex Henery as punter and placekicker, and Suh, Crick, et al on defense keeping the other team from getting anything going.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I could not disagree more

While I like our young WRs and RBs, we don't have a guy like Texas's freshman RB. I think the guys we have like Scott may develop in to really good players but we're not getting grad transfer guys like Sermon.

There are a ton of excellent RB and WRs in the portal right now. Hell, Minnesota just signed a former 6.0 Four Star WR, and I'm pissed about it.

There are a ton of excellent RB and WRs in the portal right now. Hell, Minnesota just signed a former 6.0 Four Star WR, and I'm pissed about it.
Frost purposefully left several scholarship slots open for transfers. No doubt they are beating the bushes for a WR. IF Mills is coming back that might preclude them from taking a short term transfer. They might have an interest in a QB but we will never know. I think we need a guy because it appears clear that everybody we have on the roster below Adrian is a project. Our recently signed guy is a huge project. Great physical traits but man it's going to be a huge jump for him.

Frost purposefully left several scholarship slots open for transfers. No doubt they are beating the bushes for a WR. IF Mills is coming back that might preclude them from taking a short term transfer. They might have an interest in a QB but we will never know. I think we need a guy because it appears clear that everybody we have on the roster below Adrian is a project. Our recently signed guy is a huge project. Great physical traits but man it's going to be a huge jump for him.

There are currently over 1,100 players in the portal. And with schools able to keep their Sr's around, many will do that to fill holes rather than hit the portal.

Another scholarship just came open this morning too.

Reactions: scarletred
AM wouldn't be the starter if McCaffrey was worth a shit. Scott isn't married to Martinez, we just don't have a backup.

And there lyes the problem..Luke isn’t a good enough passer and can’t make certain passes that need to be made on 3rd and long..

There are currently over 1,100 players in the portal. And with schools able to keep their Sr's around, many will do that to fill holes rather than hit the portal.
Where's the GIF of several couples sitting at separate tables at a restaurant and all of the subjects are making eyes at people other than their own companion. I think that kind of fits the whole transfer portal debate.

Reactions: headcard
Where's the GIF of several couples sitting at separate tables at a restaurant and all of the subjects are making eyes at people other than their own companion. I think that kind of fits the whole transfer portal debate.
There's a "is he better than what we have" joke in there somewhere. ;)

[

Dang.

Either there are going to be hundreds of disappointed kids next season, or some players are announcing "I'm entering the portal" instead of "I quit football".
Given the fact that the NCAA so smartly gave kids a pass on their eligibility this year, the number of kids going in to the portal who don't find homes in power 5 football is going to be pretty high. There is a limit for many programs on how many kids they can absorb along with their incoming freshmen. I think this is going to be a bonanza for lower level D-1 programs.

Reactions: shocksker
Well there's completion percentage and then there's completion percentage. I should have said "accuracy". He missed a bunch of open guys this season. That said, we could live with that if he avoided the turnovers. I put maybe too much blame on him and not enough on guys who can't remember snap counts and how to block without getting a holding call. We killed a lot of drives with penalties. Then you add in the special teams gaffes and suddenly the QB has to play perfect.

Likewise people bitch about play calling but man the offense gave us opportunities. We missed too many.

Completion percentage was great. But there's the other above stated points about turnovers and bad decision making. His YPA was not elite. Far from it. at 7 YPA it put him in a class with Spencer Petras' of the world while the truly elite QBs are running 9.5-10.5 YPA. This, in my opinion, is a better stat as it doesn't reward you for just dumping down and you have to hit your shots on a regular enough basis. YPA means you're moving the ball. In that regard we were middle of the pack. Mix in no run game from our RBs and a failure to score touchdown in the red zone and it tells a more clear story. We were one dimensional and it wasn't a very productive dimension.

No I'm not going to answer a guy's questions who constantly acts like a snake in the grass. No I don't piss and moan. Seriously **** off. I'm not going to answer your stupid questions.
I think you just unknowingly answered.

Reactions: timnsun
AM wouldn't be the starter if McCaffrey was worth a shit. Scott isn't married to Martinez, we just don't have a backup.
If I was the coach, I would still be starting Luke. Luke is competitive. He thrives off competition. The other guy, does not. I believe we would win more games with Luke as the starter than the other, and his ceiling has just begun, while the other has degraded year upon year.

It is precisely this competitive spirit.. the kind of player who bows up to the competition, who I would want running my program, vs someone who clearly does not. In one short year, you can see who worked out vs who didn't, just by looking at their arms.

Some can tell me how much the other guy wanted it, or how hard he tried, but I'm not going to believe them, because I see all the other little details telling me otherwise. He might make a great camp counselor for kids some day, but that is not the kind of guy I want leading my football team.

Now granted, I am not the coach.. these are just superlatives of what I would do, the choices I would make, if I was the coach. You have to ask yourself why the current coach makes the choices he does. Even in the absence of action, a choice is being made, and it either furthers the football team toward the goal, or it doesn't.

There are a lot of people who post critical opinions of coaches and players that don’t get a response from me. Conversely, there are a small handful who post critical opinions of coaches and players through constant name calling and insults. Those are the ones I tend to fight with more.

Simple as that.
You're so full of it. The player I've been hardest on and the only player I call names is Tannor, and you and others don't even care because you agree he sucks too. But raise a legitimate concern or criticism of a player people like and people start going nuts just because you don't agree with their opinion. That's what it's really about. You don't really care about the name calling because you think it's okay to do it too as long as it's board-approved.

You're so full of it. The player I've been hardest on and the only player I call names is Tannor, and you and others don't even care because you agree he sucks too. But raise a legitimate concern or criticism of a player people like and people start going nuts just because you don't agree with their opinion. That's what it's really about. You don't really care about the name calling because you think it's okay to do it too as long as it's board-approved.
Kindly show me where I have called a player or coach any names or spoken derogatorily about them. That’s my beef. I have called posters names, I freely admit that. That’s because they are here and can defend themselves. Players and coaches are not.

If you find me calling a player or a coach any name whatsoever, I will never post a response to you again. I will leave you alone.

Kindly show me where I have called a player or coach any names or spoken derogatorily about them. That’s my beef. I have called posters names, I freely admit that. That’s because they are here and can defend themselves. Players and coaches are not.

If you find me calling a player or a coach any name whatsoever, I will never post a response to you again. I will leave you alone.
I'm not going to look through your posts. Please do this anyway. Thanks.

I'm not going to look through your posts. Please do this anyway. Thanks.
tell you what… Here’s a solution that I am OK with. You can have your opinions about how much the coaches and players suck. I can have my opinion about how much your posts suck. You can then proceed to tell me how much I suck. That’s how it’s all gonna play out no matter what we do anyway. In the end, let’s both remember what we both really want is the huskers to get better.

Deal?

Reactions: scarletred
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT