ADVERTISEMENT

QB breakdown

Can’t wait to see Gebbia roll with this offense when the season starts. ;)

And how great Martinez will be when he finely takes over when Gebbia finishes up.

If you take a look at that play by Gebbia, pulling that ball was the only play he could make given those circumstances.

I disagree with coach goofball on this one.

The difficult thing in evaluating the performances is that, as fans, we gauge success based on the result of the play. If the play gains 15 yards its a success. But the QB may have made the wrong read, at any point in the progression of the play, where the different read could have resulted in a 40 yard play instead of the 15. Yards left on the field is tough to identify on 1 glance during a game.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Well he tells it like it is.. someone else up front didn't do their job, so you end up with a busted play, having to improvise. I would rather see coach praise the improvisation to get positive yards, than critique him for not letting the play die on the vine because it's someone else's job that failed.

Last edited:
If you take a look at that play by Gebbia, pulling that ball was the only play he could make given those circumstances.

I disagree with coach goofball on this one.

I think the numbers advantage was to the right so in all likelihood the QB would get blown up if he keeps in that situation. So, I think they would rather have the RB take the chance at improvising the busted play in the direction of the numbers advantage and let the QB live to fight another day.

His read didn't include Dixon on that play, so Dixon's actions should have not had any effect on his read.

I posted this in another thread .. just my thoughts and I fully admit I have no real clue

From the little I’ve seen I think the playbook will have to be thinned more for Gebbia than for Martinez and/or Bunch

You can run inside and outside zone reads and if the defense makes an aggregious error Gebbia can make those runs. But beyond that I think the QB run game including the option is off the table. Personally I think Frost would eventually like to have a QB power run game as an option as well with the TEs and RB being lead blockers for the QB- we ran a lot of that when Frost was the QB here. You aren’t going to have that option with Gebbia

I think Martinez and Bunch can make the same throws as Gebbia. I do not have a good sense for the relative accuracy of those throws however.

I have no clue on decision making ability which is always a huge wild card

In short I think Gebbia can scramble and occasionally hurt a defense but I do not believe he is a runner. It is still possible that at this time Gebbia will be the more effective QB - but that will entail a neutered QB run game.

Last edited:

And how great Martinez will be when he finely takes over when Gebbia finishes up.

At this current time I cant say you’ll get to see your vision come to reality.

And you surmised this from watching a spring game? Okie dokes, coach..

If Gebbia wins the QB start, it would mean either (a) he improved tremendously over the summer; or (b) Gebbia starting Game#1 was a condition that Mike Riley insisted upon when negotiating his buyout.

The difficult thing in evaluating the performances is that, as fans, we gauge success based on the result of the play. If the play gains 15 yards its a success. But the QB may have made the wrong read, at any point in the progression of the play, where the different read could have resulted in a 40 yard play instead of the 15. Yards left on the field is tough to identify on 1 glance during a game.

I disagree the play up the middle was going nowhere. Perhapes Gebbia is smarter than we think and will adjust on any given play.

I disagree the play up the middle was going nowhere. Perhapes Gebbia is smarter than we think and will adjust on any given play.

I wasn’t talking just about that one play. In general, we look at the end result and judge success based on if it picked up yardage.

looking at that Gebbia play --- it looks like the H-back or TE blocks down on the defensive player you typically leave unblocked and read ... suspect that this was what Verduzco was referring to when he said the guys upfront didn’t do their job

He caves the outside LB in leaving the safety an open lane to light up the QB. Verduzco points out that the safety blew that play with an incorrect angle. It is interesting he would call the safety out specifically but not the player(s) who blew the blocking upfront.

I may (probably) have the blocking scheme wrong but it looks to me like the Hback/TE should have left the OLB alone and got to the next level to block the safety or a corner

Perhaps Verduzco's point was that Gebbia should have recognized the play was blown up due to the incorrect blocking and in such cases let the RB take the hit rather than the QB

good discussion - interested in other's opinion of who that Hback/TE should be blocking in this inside zone read play

Last edited:
Will defer to Verduzco as to the what should have been what wrt QB play. Frost was championship level QB and coached QBs in this offensive system. Verduzco is the guy he picked to coach our QBs.

Gebbia was all by himself so he made the correct read. The linebackers were all crashing down hard inside so it made sense for him to keep it and run to the outside. Don't know why the coach is nitpicking that particular play, but Gebbia made the right decision.

Reactions: huskerssalts
Gebbia was all by himself so he made the correct read. The linebackers were all crashing down hard inside so it made sense for him to keep it and run to the outside. Don't know why the coach is nitpicking that particular play, but Gebbia made the right decision.

Just a coach trying to find something to improve on.. I thought the read was correct myself..

And you surmised this from watching a spring game? Okie dokes, coach..
No clue which game you watched but yes and no. I thought he did just fine, he definitely didn’t suck even one bit .....and how many times have we seen one player shine in the spring game and so and the nothing afterwards??? How many times my man??? Gebbia will win it, watch and see. A kid with that skill set, whiling to stay after practices to work longer and harder, will not get beat out. Plain and simple.

And I love how you play the douche bag roll and call me “coach” because I feel Gebbia will win out. What ever brotha...I never disrespected you in the years we been on this site...but what ever makes you sleep better at night.

If Gebbia wins the QB start, it would mean either (a) he improved tremendously over the summer; or (b) Gebbia starting Game#1 was a condition that Mike Riley insisted upon when negotiating his buyout.

Sorry but I don’t see how you get this view, even a little bit. Both Gebbia and Martinez did good in the spring game. Gebbia started a little slower but like Frost said, Martinez may have just been in during the good play calls that worked out and vise versa...that’s why he has said over and over again...not to take the spring game to big or by into to much. Gebbia is just as good if not better then Martinez. Martinez has him on the legs and Gebbia has him when it comes to the arm...it will come down to the hardest worker and who picks up the offense faster. With that said, that’s why I’m picking Gebbia, he will not be our worked by anyone.

And I’m sorry but I’m saying this...to many of you guys are so obsessed with getting back to having running’s QBs that your so whiling to throw a talent like Gebbia out and a side. There is a reason every top college wanted him. And normally everyone of use would be drooling over hearing how hard the kid works, staying late and practicing longer and living in film rooms. But that’s my guess, you guys really are whiling to throw away a talented QB in Gebbia just to hurry up and have those running QBs again. It’s almost sad.

Last edited:
And I’m sorry but I’m saying this...to many of you guys are so obsessed with getting back to having running’s QBs that your so whiling to throw a talent like Gebbia our and a side. There is a reason every top college wanted him. And normally everyone of use would be drooling over hearing how hard the kid works, staying late and practicing longer and living in film rooms. But that’s my guess, you guys really are whiling to throw away a talented QB in Gebbia just to hurry up and have those running QBs again. It’s almost sad.
Still think it’s Gebbias to lose but he will watch as AMart makes strides in his game. I hope both guys push each other’s game for the next few years.

And I’m sorry but I’m saying this...to many of you guys are so obsessed with getting back to having running’s QBs that your so whiling to throw a talent like Gebbia out and a side. There is a reason every top college wanted him. And normally everyone of use would be drooling over hearing how hard the kid works, staying late and practicing longer and living in film rooms. But that’s my guess, you guys really are whiling to throw away a talented QB in Gebbia just to hurry up and have those running QBs again. It’s almost sad.

May the best man win the job. If coaches evaluate Bunch or Martinez as giving us the best chance to win games then it's not for Gebbia's lack of talent or work ethic. No one is denying that he has great potential. If it's Gebbia, which is very likely, I will trust in coach Frost's decision. I feel like this is a good problem to have. Not a clear winner for starting QB means competition for it will be at a high level.

And I’m sorry but I’m saying this...to many of you guys are so obsessed with getting back to having running’s QBs that your so whiling to throw a talent like Gebbia out and a side.

No one is throwing Gebbia to the side, they're simply saying that he's going to have some stiff competition if he wants to be the starter in this offense.

There is a reason every top college wanted him.

Top offers mean nothing if a player isn't the best fit for your system.

And normally everyone of use would be drooling over hearing how hard the kid works, staying late and practicing longer and living in film rooms. But that’s my guess, you guys really are whiling to throw away a talented QB in Gebbia just to hurry up and have those running QBs again. It’s almost sad.

Work ethic is nice but that will not guarantee anything. You play the best man for the job, work ethic alone doesn't mean you're the best for the job.

and how many times have we seen one player shine in the spring game and so and the nothing afterwards??? How many times my man???

Who was the last truly consistent unknown in the spring game? Martinez was easily the most consistent player in that game. Sure it was a spring scrimmage but it's not as if he had a couple of exciting plays and people started pimping him. He made plays from start to finish. The skillset he brings is what you want in a QB in this offense. This isn't a pro style spread, it's not an air raid, it's not a power spread. It's a spread option offense. He's big, he's fast, very elusive, good awareness, calm and he was getting the ball to his skill players efficiently. That's not to say he'll be the starter, I don't know who will win the job. It's obvious that he's the most athletic QB we have on our roster and I'm not the only person who would say that.

Sorry but I don’t see how you get this view, even a little bit. Both Gebbia and Martinez did good in the spring game. Gebbia started a little slower but like Frost said, Martinez may have just been in during the good play calls that worked out and vise versa...that’s why he has said over and over again...not to take the spring game to big or by into to much. Gebbia is just as good if not better then Martinez. Martinez has him on the legs and Gebbia has him when it comes to the arm...it will come down to the hardest worker and who picks up the offense faster. With that said, that’s why I’m picking Gebbia, he will not be our worked by anyone.

Why exactly are you so certain that Gebbia is the better player? I just don't get where the certainty comes from..

Who was the last truly consistent unknown in the spring game? Martinez was easily the most consistent player in that game. Sure it was a spring scrimmage but it's not as if he had a couple of exciting plays and people started pimping him. He made plays from start to finish. The skillset he brings is what you want in a QB in this offense. This isn't a pro style spread, it's not an air raid, it's not a power spread. It's a spread option offense. He's big, he's fast, very elusive, good awareness, calm and he was getting the ball to his skill players efficiently. That's not to say he'll be the starter, I don't know who will win the job. It's obvious that he's the most athletic QB we have on our roster and I'm not the only person who would say that.

It isn't even close athletically.....Martinez by a country mile. Gibbia "might" be a better passer but they both looked fine to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT