ADVERTISEMENT

QB Adrian vs Luke

HominidHusker

First Team All-Big Ten
Jun 25, 2018
I know this has been discussed here at length, and the bottom line is: let’s just see what happens.
I’m not an Adrian hater and believe he hasn’t tapped his potential. I’m also not going to accept his level of performance last year and want to see real competition to elevate the position.

So it's far too small of a sample, but.... Luke vs Adrian: Luke only had 69 snaps= 10% of Adrian... while Luke only threw 7% as many yards (3% underperform), he had 26.5% rushing yards (overperform x2.5), 20% passing TDs (overperform x 2), 17.5% total TDs (overperform), and per snap count turnover ratio he had 0 and shouldve had 1.8 (2.7% of snaps is what Adrian had = 18) = overperform.
Completion % Adrian 59.4% Luke 75%.

Small sample isn't fair, but he outperformed Adrian in every aspect except only 3% less passing yards per snap played, made up for with far greater rushing #'s.

Just something to consider as fall camp is upon us.

I like McCaffrey a lot, and think he has a good chance to win the QB job or at least share time there. But, his stats don't really mean anything at this point. He didn't get much of the playbook to work with, which probably held back his passing performance. Conversely, half of his rushing total came against an absolutely dog-crap awful Maryland defense.

By this evaluation, Marlon Lucky should have played a lot of snaps at QB.

I like McCaffrey and he's been effective in specific packages and situations executing a small portion of the playbook. He has a long way to go to be a full-time QB.

I just hope there's a true competition and not just lip service from Frost. Not many like a 2 QB game plan but I would hope they'd throw in a series or two each game with Luke if 2AM won the job.

I know this has been discussed here at length, and the bottom line is: let’s just see what happens.
I’m not an Adrian hater and believe he hasn’t tapped his potential. I’m also not going to accept his level of performance last year and want to see real competition to elevate the position.

So it's far too small of a sample, but.... Luke vs Adrian: Luke only had 69 snaps= 10% of Adrian... while Luke only threw 7% as many yards (3% underperform), he had 26.5% rushing yards (overperform x2.5), 20% passing TDs (overperform x 2), 17.5% total TDs (overperform), and per snap count turnover ratio he had 0 and shouldve had 1.8 (2.7% of snaps is what Adrian had = 18) = overperform.

Small sample isn't fair, but he outperformed Adrian in every aspect except only 3% less passing yards per snap played, made up for with far greater rushing #'s.

. Watched 2018 Ohio state game yesterday. Other than boneheaded backwards throw Adrian looked pretty damn good. Did not look like the guy I remember from 2019

I just hope there's a true competition and not just lip service from Frost. Not many like a 2 QB game plan but I would hope they'd throw in a series or two each game with Luke if 2AM won the job.
Just curious... why do you think there might not be? I know AM looked bad a times last year. But the coaches wanted to redshirt LM (which they did) and NV wasn’t the long term answer last year, not to mention the injuries they all sustained throughout the season.

I know a lot of people are worried about this. But why wouldn’t Frost play the best player? Especially after suffering through 2 losing seasons... I would think he would want to win now more than ever... you do that by playing the best players.

I think he will play the best player, even if it isn’t AM.

It's fun to discuss as long as no one pretends to know the final answer. I don't think the coaches know. Adrian is probably the favorite at this point due to experience.

Some questions I have:
1. How healthy is Adrian now? He wasn't full go when they were starting spring practice. I hope he's 100% healthy and in top condition.
2. What's Adrian's confidence like after last season? Will he have his swag back? Does he have accuracy for the swing passes and the long throws? I thought he did okay with the intermediate and sideline throws, but not so much for the check downs and the deep throws.
3. What can Luke do with the full playbook? He's fast. I think he's a bigger homerun threat with his feet than Adrian. Can he make all the reads? How consistent is he with his arm?

Why do people automatically assume that Frost favors Martinez over LM for nefarious reasons?
Why do people assume he doesnt like LM and won’t give a fair evaluation?
People need to realize he recruited both of them. He likes both of them. He has a relationship with both of them.
He found ways to get LM on the field last year even though they knew they wanted to redshirt him. Which LM also knew.

It wasnt long ago AM was being touted as a Heisman contender and had a great frosh season, just like LM had a good frosh season with a much smaller sample size, I might add. How soon we forget.

AM may have had a classic sophomore slump. He may bounce back and have a good year.
Or not. He may continue to regress, in which case Frost will have to play another option.

One thing is for sure: if AM starts the year, at the first errant throw people will be on this board complaining that there was no real QB competition and frost just picked AM even though LM was the better option in practice.

If there is actual evidence that there isnt a fair competition, lets hear it. I will be angry at frost just like anyone else, but I’ll need some evidence.

Otherwise, as I’ve said before, these posters are hypocrites. They dont want a fair QB competition. They want LM to start...they are the ones with their minds made up, not frost.

If Luke looks the part, I dont think Frost will favor Adrian. It's whoever can make decisions quickly, make big plays and routine ones and be a leader that takes the job.

Last year, Luke needed size and experience. I assume he's now 20 lbs heavier than last year and has had plenty of reps and time in the playbook. Surely he's closing the gap, minus game experience obviously.

Another consideration before throwing AMart into the garbage can.......if you would recall last year our OLine play was at the VERY best...... "marginal". Especially the 1st half of last year. Even worse besides not blocking anybody there was center hikes flying around everywhere.

I seriously doubt there would be many qbs that would have excelled under that scenario. Hey, I like Luke too and think he'll be terrific! However, they "both" are huge assets for NU cfb.

Let first hope the all the quarterbacks stay healthy, Adrians first two years has been plagued with injuries, Luke was banged up a little so was Noah. Actually a lot of especially skilled players have been injured, jd wandale, Caden hell the kicker got hurt last fall. So is it the workout that is the issue or lack there of. I personally believe Luke has a higher ceiling than Adrian but i don’t care Logan can earn the starting job the biggest thing is who ever can get us wins at this point

Just curious... why do you think there might not be? I know AM looked bad a times last year. But the coaches wanted to redshirt LM (which they did) and NV wasn’t the long term answer last year, not to mention the injuries they all sustained throughout the season.

I know a lot of people are worried about this. But why wouldn’t Frost play the best player? Especially after suffering through 2 losing seasons... I would think he would want to win now more than ever... you do that by playing the best players.

I think he will play the best player, even if it isn’t AM.
Perhaps I'm just jaded from his sophomore performance. I get the circumstances behind it, just hope he's more focused this year.

Reactions: timnsun
Perhaps I'm just jaded from his sophomore performance. I get the circumstances behind it, just hope he's more focused this year.

The long and the short of it, assuming that we have a season --

The best QB is going to play this season. Because if we don't get better QB play than we had last season, we will go sub .500 again.

And if that happens, the shine is off the apple in a lot of areas, including recruiting.

Adrian vs Luke, I wonder who would really win?

Rocky-Adrian-Before.png

star-wars-luke-skywalker-facts.jpg

I thought this was going to be like the whole vampires vs werewolf thing a decade ago. Neutral.... what ever all that garbage was. Carry on

we have 3 qbs in the competition and qb no. 3 is faster and can throw all over the field. i am going with no. 3 by the end of the season

Why do people automatically assume that Frost favors Martinez over LM for nefarious reasons?
Why do people assume he doesnt like LM and won’t give a fair evaluation?
Obviously it's because Frost wouldn't make Vedral the starter after those lights-out performances against Minnesota and Indiana. Unforgiveable!

And to be clear, I have nothing against Vedral, who played about as well as you would expect from a backup QB. But the $5 footlongs he gave some of the posters here never ceased to amaze me.

Adrian

Holla

Apples to oranges. The small sample were packages designed for Luke. Adrian ran the whole offense. Not saying Luke is not the better QB option. Just saying stats you are using are not comparable.

Reactions: bshirt73
As we all know if we see the same Adrian as last year and Frost refused to make a change again we are going to be lucky to win 6 games. Granted we didn't get a large sample size from Luke last year, but he seemed like the more confident QB of the 2. Seems like the players rallied around him better. Frost has mentioned many times over the last couple years about AM being a great athlete but that he needs to work on his leadership skills.

Nebraska football threw 12 total TD passes in 2019. That was the lowest TD passing output for Husker football since Frank Solich's last season in 2003.

Adrian Martinez played in 8 1/2 games in 2019. He threw 10 TD passes. The other 2 TD's tossed by Nebraska football were throws on gimmick plays ran by Luke McCaffery. I would actually still use Luke's added versatility in a lot of ways, including gimmick plays.

While most of the morons who think Adrian Martinez sucks will throw all the blame at Adrian, people with even an average understanding of the sport of football can see Nebraska's issues in the passing game had much more to do with personnel at receiver than the QB.

Going into 2019, Nebraska only had 4 game ready Big Ten caliber receiving threats outside of TE (more on the tight end in a second):

- JD Spielman
- Wandale Robinson
- Andre Hunt
- Mo Wasington

By week 2 of Fall Camp, Andre Hunt was kicked off the team for being.... well a rapist.

That means Nebraska only has 3 legit playmaking threats.. If luck is on their side, they can probably make due.

The other option, Jack Stoll, is a viable TE in the Big Ten. He's not really overly dynamic, but he's a good option out of the RPO. The threat of Mo really helped the production of Stoll out of the RPO because it extended the defense.

Going into week 5, Adrian Martinez leads the Big Ten in Passing and is 2nd in Total Offense. But things are going South with Mo quickly. He's not showing up for weights or class. His play is limited starting that week.

So now, Nebraska has to play Ohio State with really only 2 receiving options. Ohio State knows they can totally dominate the right side of the offensive line with Chase Young vs. Farniok. They double JD and pinch on Wandale taking them both out of the game. This means the passing game is a joke vs. the Buckeye's defense.

By Northwestern, Spielman goes down early and is knocked out of the game. That means Nebraska has ONE weapon vs. a very good defense: Wandale.
Martinez is again abused repeatedly, and luckily Wandale was the most talented player on the field.
By the 3rd quarter, after being hit 29 times out of 84 snaps vs. Ohio State and NW, Adrian is knocked out of the game.

Adrian doesn't practice or play for another month. He is literally out of action from early October until early November.

In his absence, Nebraska QBs throw 0 TDs out of the regular offense. Wandale is hobbled, and Spielman is the only option. Mills is not a legit pass catching threat.

Mike Williams, Kade Warner, and Noa are not Big Ten Caliber wideouts. No defense was even remotely concerned about that group.

People can go back to the last 15 years of Husker football:

Only the 2004 team had that little talent at Receiver. The 2009, and 2011 teams with struggling passing games still had much more talent.

So to make a long story short:

Nebraska football needs Omar Manning, Alante Brown, Hickman, Betts, Fleming, Vokolek, Morrison, and Marvin Scott III, a lot more than it needs a new starting QB.

And I will reitterate my earlier point:

Luke McCaffery taking 5 to 7 snaps per game and fitting into another 8 to 10 offensive snaps per game is a much more valuable proposition for Nebraska football than sitting Adrian and making Luke your full time starter.

I think we end up more dependent on Luke's ceiling than Adrian's, the reason being that the next full season Adrian plays will be his first in 4 years.

IMO Adrian is the better raw passing talent when healthy and Luke is the better raw rushing talent when healthy. So in camp mode where they're both healthy, Adrian wins the job.

If he gets hurt again this year and regresses back to the level of play we saw in 2019, I really hope Luke is ready to perform better than that. We're always very sure the #2 QB can do it better until he gets in there and we find out he can't.

Scott really needs a quick decision maker at the QB spot. I know Adrian was injured but he seemed slow in his decision making to me. My opinion is that if Adrian struggles again, he needs a quick trigger. Luke performed well when he was called on.

Reactions: HominidHusker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT