ADVERTISEMENT

Public Institution-Football

-LVhusker-

Walk On
Oct 11, 2018
If there is D1 talent in state that may not be the best fit schematically does Neb take anyway as the only D1 program in state? Is there an institutional obligation to meet the needs of the state residents, justify state funding, maintain community goodwill and pride/support? I’m sure examples abound most recently Riley D line recruiting but just speaking generally not so much specifically.

Get the best for your program and all things equal you take the homegrown player. If it’s close, personality and other factors can come into play. I think the system will always be a for many of the top players in the state but some will want to stay and some will want to go.

Work with the high schools early and often and that helps a ton.

Get the best for your program and all things equal you take the homegrown player. If it’s close, personality and other factors can come into play. I think the system will always be a for many of the top players in the state but some will want to stay and some will want to go.

Work with the high schools early and often and that helps a ton.

I know some of you won't agree, but you are wrong. If Garrett Nelson grows up across the border in Torrington, Wyoming instead of Western Nebraska, he would be the same player, he would just be from Wyoming instead of Nebraska. The homegrown stuff is overused and, in my opinion, is more to make the fans happy than anything else. With that said, if he was from Torrington instead of western Nebraska, he may not have been offered a football scholarship at Nebraska. So it is a double edged sword.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
I know some of you won't agree, but you are wrong. If Garrett Nelson grows up across the border in Torrington, Wyoming instead of Western Nebraska, he would be the same player, he would just be from Wyoming instead of Nebraska. The homegrown stuff is overused and, in my opinion, is more to make the fans happy than anything else. With that said, if he was from Torrington instead of western Nebraska, he may not have been offered a football scholarship at Nebraska. So it is a double edged sword.
Isn’t that just your opinion though? I would have to look it up but I believe that players offered inside the state of NE have a higher success rate of ending up on the two deep than those outside the state.
If I’m mistaken then I’m sure someone will let me know. What are you basing your opinion on? I agree on the second part of your premise but you can’t ignore boarders. Borders matter. The radius IMO is overblown. Radius means that you have a great opportunity within driving distance to secure transportation and arrange visits with prospects. It’s not a mandate as some papers/sports scribes make it out to be, its an opportunity.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I know some of you won't agree, but you are wrong. If Garrett Nelson grows up across the border in Torrington, Wyoming instead of Western Nebraska, he would be the same player, he would just be from Wyoming instead of

I agree with Tuco. Maybe Nelson turns out to be a stud LB, and I hope he does. He seems like he’s ready to put in the work and will take more pride than most wearing the “N”. There’s something to be said for that and over 4 years how much of an advantage does it put this kid over that one in S&C and effort every day.

There's also something to be said about maintaining recruiting pipelines to other states.

True but that does enter into the equation. Helps with the fans boosters and getting young Husker fans to be. You want the 6-16 year olds buying into the program and have"the dream" of becoming a Husker. Don't underestimate the power of sitting in front of the tv and having grandpa say,"Johnny, that could be you someday"

Reactions: saluno22

His mom is still from Cozad Nebraska so there would still be talk that he has a connection to the state.

Isn’t that just your opinion though? I would have to look it up but I believe that players offered inside the state of NE have a higher success rate of ending up on the two deep than those outside the state.
If I’m mistaken then I’m sure someone will let me know. What are you basing your opinion on? I agree on the second part of your premise but you can’t ignore boarders. Borders matter. The radius IMO is overblown. Radius means that you have a great opportunity within driving distance to secure transportation and arrange visits with prospects. It’s not a mandate as some papers/sports scribes make it out to be, its an opportunity.
So borders yes, radius no. Got it.

The point is the player is who the player is. If he turns out to be successful, it will not be because he lived in Cozad or Scottsbluff.
Yes generally that's true. However being from the state and being around most of your life knowing what the program means to the state isn't nothing. It does give you a certain amount of pride and can give you an advantage that out of state players don't have. Sometimes being instate puts you at a disadvantage too. Maybe you're too close to some of the negative influences you had when you were in high school. It works both ways. I agree for the most part it doesn't matter where you're from in determining whether you're going to be successful, but being instate and following the program your whole life can give you extra motivation and that's certainly not nothing.

Yes generally that's true. However being from the state and being around most of your life knowing what the program means to the state isn't nothing. It does give you a certain amount of pride and can give you an advantage that out of state players don't have. Sometimes being instate puts you at a disadvantage too. Maybe you're too close to some of the negative influences you had when you were in high school. It works both ways. I agree for the most part it doesn't matter where you're from in determining whether you're going to be successful, but being instate and following the program your whole life can give you extra motivation and that's certainly not nothing.

And every school has similar players. Kids that grew up dreaming of being Aggies or Sooners or Tigers. So it isn't unique to Nebraska.

I agree on the motivation, but, in my opinion, that ends when you get into the school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT