ADVERTISEMENT

Program Expectations

coolonetoo

Junior
May 12, 2003
I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on what the expectations of the program are. I like to break it out like this:

In a 10 year period, Nebraska baseball should:

1. Make the conference tournament: 10 times
2. Make a regional: 8-9 times
3. Host a regional: 3-4 times
4. Make a super regional: 2-3 times
5. Make the CWS: 1 time
6. Win the conference: I don't care*
7. Win the conference tournament: I don't care*

*OK, I do care about those things. They're nice and they help with #2-5. But conference hardware isn't the thing. Advancing to Omaha is. Playing at Haymarket Park after Memorial Day means much more to me than hoisting a trophy before it.

Regional 10/10
Host 5+/10
National seed 2+/10

Do these things - conference championships and CWS appearances take care of themselves.

Repeatedly, our facilities rank in the top 10 nationally and so does our attendance. This program gets excellent administrative and fan support. The type of support deserving of high level results.

Miami and several other teams have 30+ years of continuous regional appearances. I think Miami has 40+. ASU has 53 straight years of 30+ wins. 53 years. Fullerton hasn't missed a regional since God made dirt.

You can win the CWS and not get a bid the next year (Zona and UCLA, sm*h) but that's unholy. Screw that. Success in this business is marked by regional appearances and advancing. That's the only measuring stick I have.

Reactions: coolonetoo
Here are mine using your list if you don't mind:

3. Host a regional: 4-5 times
4. Make a super regional: 5 times
5. Make the CWS: 3 times
6. Win the conference: 4-5 times
7. Win the conference tournament: 4-5 times

I think its totally doable because we are a northern school in the Big Ten Conference. If we played in the SEC or ACC I would probably drop the numbers a tad.

I totally agree on the postseason being the measuring stick for success at Nebraska. Conference titles are great, but only when you need them to make a regional. If we have a consistent regional team, we'll win some conference titles.

As for what I think are fair expectations, if we're talking about the B1G where only 1-3 teams are even regional worthy, then Nebraska should be one of them 9-10/10 years. If we're talking about this year's B1G where 7-8 teams were in the discussion at different points, 5 were ranked at various times, and the conference ultimately puts in 5, then Nebraska should be one of those teams 8-9/10 times. Our weaknesses during the Erstad era, especially on offense, were exposed this year. But make no mistake about it, we're not in a regional at least in part because the conference caught up in a big way. We've always had offensive slumps. This year may have been our worst on record in the DE era, but even this same slumping Nebraska team in past years would have won several more conference games and would be in a regional.

If 8-9 worthy teams becomes the status quo in the B1G, we'll have no choice but to get better, or DE will be gone. We may learn whether that will be the case as early as next year.

Here are mine using your list if you don't mind:

3. Host a regional: 4-5 times
4. Make a super regional: 5 times
5. Make the CWS: 3 times
6. Win the conference: 4-5 times
7. Win the conference tournament: 4-5 times

I think its totally doable because we are a northern school in the Big Ten Conference. If we played in the SEC or ACC I would probably drop the numbers a tad.
I don't think it's even midly reasonable to expect a conference championship every other year. That's absurd.

I
I don't think it's even midly reasonable to expect a conference championship every other year. That's absurd.
think it is possible, it's not the end all be all but winning 4 times in a decade is not unreasonable in my opinion. The conference is not the strength of say an SEC, ACC, or PAC 12.

Even though the Big Ten had a good year this year I don't see it sticking longterm. Not until the fan support and the conference actually have higher expectations. Great coaches will leave for greener pastures.

I

think it is possible, it's not the end all be all but winning 4 times in a decade is not unreasonable in my opinion. The conference is not the strength of say an SEC, ACC, or PAC 12.

Even though the Big Ten had a good year this year I don't see it sticking longterm. Not until the fan support and the conference actually have higher expectations. Great coaches will leave for greener pastures.
I think this is probably a peak (for now) but the general trend is towards this type of success. I honestly think in a decade 5 teams in will be the norm with the level of commitment some universities are putting into their program.

I

I would have to disagree with your assesment as I think B1G baseball is the on the upswing. You could aruge that had some of the typical one bid conferences not had upsets that MSU might have got it in as well this year. But regardless of this year, I think the B1G will settle into a 4-6 teams/year type league. Fan support still blows but the schools are spending money on facilities, coaching staff's, etc....and that makes me confident baseball is on the upswing and not going away anytime soon in the B1G. Attendance will come as college baseball in general becomes more and more popular and some of the traditionally undersuppported B1G teams start to put more and more money behind their programs.

Now better marketing by the league sure wouldn't hurt and BTN's coverage is pathetic......improvements in both would be very beneficial. But I think the biggest key is to get a B1G team (or two) into the CWS on a frequent basis. Would love to see Illinois make long run this post season.

I think this is probably a peak (for now) but the general trend is towards this type of success. I honestly think in a decade 5 teams in will be the norm with the level of commitment some universities are putting into their program.

If that happens then certainly winning a conference title would be much tougher. I'm still not believing it will after seeing the attendance outside of Nebraska in the BIG and BTN's inability to showcase Big Ten Baseball like it could.

If I didn't think Nebraska had the tools to become another mainstay among the college baseball elite I wouldn't expect it. I think with our facilities and fan support we should expect and receive more success. I also believe its a very attainable achievement, considering the lack of top to bottom competition other conferences face. Even if the Big Ten gets better it still won't match the other major conferences anytime soon, if ever.

I would have to disagree with your assesment as I think B1G baseball is the on the upswing. You could aruge that had some of the typical one bid conferences not had upsets that MSU might have got it in as well this year. But regardless of this year, I think the B1G will settle into a 4-6 teams/year type league. Fan support still blows but the schools are spending money on facilities, coaching staff's, etc....and that makes me confident baseball is on the upswing and not going away anytime soon in the B1G. Attendance will come as college baseball in general becomes more and more popular and some of the traditionally undersuppported B1G teams start to put more and more money behind their programs.

Now better marketing by the league sure wouldn't hurt and BTN's coverage is pathetic......improvements in both would be very beneficial. But I think the biggest key is to get a B1G team (or two) into the CWS on a frequent basis. Would love to see Illinois make long run this post season.

I'm an actions before words guy, you may be right in that its on the upswing and I too see signs of that happening however, sustainability is proven over time and that's what the Big Ten Conference and BTN would have to prove.

Losing a great coach in Smith to ASU is not proof to me. Purdue having a great season and then falling to mediocrity is also not proof it will be sustained. If teams succeed will they keep their staffs? That's what hasn't happened yet for me to assume it will. Illinois graduates their entire team or will lose most to the draft, can they reload and become a mainstay? Time will tell but I hope so.

The conference has made some great moves regarding over-signing and teams have put some cash into facility upgrades but it still has a long way to go as far as fan support and marketing. I see some signs but I'm a skeptic after seeing previous success derail as recently as the last few years.

The conference should be pushing for BIG Ten-SEC showdowns on a neutral site, or broadcasting games outside of BTN if they aren't willing to show games consistently (even though replays of Michigan's Spring Football game are really enjoyable). Schools need to get fan support because nobody will care if the fans don't. A good year is a great start, but sustainability will require more from each university, its conference, and the Big Ten Network. There is a reason The Big Tens best ever year gets 5 teams in and the SEC's down year gets 7.

We will see, but in the mean time as long as Nebraska has the best facilities and the best fan support I expect us to have the best results in a ten year period in this conference.

Illinois graduates their entire team or will lose most to the draft, can they reload and become a mainstay? Time will tell but I hope so.
I hope they fall hard just like Purdue did after their run in 2012. I would like two programs to be consistently strong and the other programs in the league to oscillate between contending for a regional and missing the conference tournament. I would like those two strong programs to be Nebraska and Indiana.

We will see, but in the mean time as long as Nebraska has the best facilities and the best fan support I expect us to have the best results in a ten year period in this conference.

Amen to this. Nebraska's return on investment in the program is pretty low at the moment. Though, as I mentioned in another thread, the Erstad era was on the right growth track until the second half of this season.

As for the recent return on investment in the team that plays in the biggest stadium in Lincoln...

I hope they fall hard just like Purdue did after their run in 2012. I would like two programs to be consistently strong and the other programs in the league to oscillate between contending for a regional and missing the conference tournament. I would like those two strong programs to be Nebraska and Indiana.

Amen to this. Nebraska's return on investment in the program is pretty low at the moment. Though, as I mentioned in another thread, the Erstad era was on the right growth track until the second half of this season.

As for the recent return on investment in the team that plays in the biggest stadium in Lincoln...

I would like to see a top 3-4 teams consistently competing. Iowa, Indiana, Maryland, and Nebraska all seem to have the most potential for a good fan following so that's who I'd pick. If Illinois doesn't have one by now I'm not sure if they ever will.

As far as your 2nd quote I couldn't agree more

I would like to see a top 3-4 teams consistently competing. Iowa, Indiana, Maryland, and Nebraska all seem to have the most potential for a good fan following so that's who I'd pick. If Illinois doesn't have one by now I'm not sure if they ever will.

As far as your 2nd quote I couldn't agree more
I prefer Iowa suck at everything because I know too many Hawkeye fans. But I also want Nebraska to have its pick of the best baseball players in Iowa and a strong(er) team in Iowa City hurts that.

I'm an actions before words guy, you may be right in that its on the upswing and I too see signs of that happening however, sustainability is proven over time and that's what the Big Ten Conference and BTN would have to prove.

Losing a great coach in Smith to ASU is not proof to me. Purdue having a great season and then falling to mediocrity is also not proof it will be sustained. If teams succeed will they keep their staffs? That's what hasn't happened yet for me to assume it will. Illinois graduates their entire team or will lose most to the draft, can they reload and become a mainstay? Time will tell but I hope so.

The conference has made some great moves regarding over-signing and teams have put some cash into facility upgrades but it still has a long way to go as far as fan support and marketing. I see some signs but I'm a skeptic after seeing previous success derail as recently as the last few years.

The conference should be pushing for BIG Ten-SEC showdowns on a neutral site, or broadcasting games outside of BTN if they aren't willing to show games consistently (even though replays of Michigan's Spring Football game are really enjoyable). Schools need to get fan support because nobody will care if the fans don't. A good year is a great start, but sustainability will require more from each university, its conference, and the Big Ten Network. There is a reason The Big Tens best ever year gets 5 teams in and the SEC's down year gets 7.

All fair points. IMO the biggest wildcard is the conference itself (league office, BTN, etc...) are they going to be drug along and finally have to support or will they engage now and help drive the sport to a new level of competition for the B1G?

Losing Smith was a blow for IU but I like their hire and the fact they are back in a regional this year after what they lost last year is a good sign. Especially considering at one point this season it didnt look very favoarable for them to get in. Purdue is a mystery to me but I guess when you look at their entire athletic department they are pretty volatilve in almost every sport. Heller has won everywhere he's been and was an excellent hire for Iowa. I have always thought Michigan's coach was a good one, but they havent done anything until the run this year. I just think it sets up well for the future but I do agree it will require 2 to 3 mainstays to get 5-6 bids every year.

And completely agree we should have the best results over a long period of time. No excuse given the support, facilities, fans, etc...But I don't think its gonna start next year. I see a tough season coming. Hope I'm wrong.

And completely agree we should have the best results over a long period of time. No excuse given the support, facilities, fans, etc...But I don't think its gonna start next year. I see a tough season coming. Hope I'm wrong.

I agree, next year is a mystery.

Honestly, we will need some Freshman and Sophomores both pitching and hitting to mature very quickly in order to have a great year. Anything is possible, but it will need to be proven on the field for sure for me to be sold.

I agree, next year is a mystery.

Honestly, we will need some Freshman and Sophomores both pitching and hitting to mature very quickly in order to have a great year. Anything is possible, but it will need to be proven on the field for sure for me to be sold.

Well I've been told we are loaded with young talent and our pitching will only get better. So next year Erstad doesn't really have any excuse to piss the bed...again.

I actualy think we're going to be just fine. Looks like our Fri and Sat starters will be Burkamper and King, two pitchers who were drafted out of HS so someone saw big potential there, and Meyers showed some skill out of the pen this year. We return plenty of solid outfielders to surround Boldt, including Alvarado and Dilday. We have Christensen and Shrieber at 1B and Schleppy is solid at 2B and Reveles is returning at SS so its 3B and Catcher where we are missing experience. True, some key roles to fill but I think we're going to have some kids step up. These are all Erstad's guys now...

I actualy think we're going to be just fine. Looks like our Fri and Sat starters will be Burkamper and King, two pitchers who were drafted out of HS so someone saw big potential there, and Meyers showed some skill out of the pen this year. We return plenty of solid outfielders to surround Boldt, including Alvarado and Dilday. We have Christensen and Shrieber at 1B and Schleppy is solid at 2B and Reveles is returning at SS so its 3B and Catcher where we are missing experience. True, some key roles to fill but I think we're going to have some kids step up. These are all Erstad's guys now...
Placzek to 3B? He played there 2 seasons ago when Headley was at 1B.

Fish has decent experience at C, but needs ABs against weekend arms.

Think either Christensen or Schreiber could move to 3B? Or maybe move Christensen to full-time pitching only?

I think we need more of a bat at 3rd and if Schreiber can play there it would be ideal leaving Christensen at 1B. I noticed Erstad has 3 SS coming in and generally they can play anywhere - hopefully they can hit and contribute. There are also a couple of catchers coming and I'm not sure Chunn is going to help fish swung it well but the game at Creighton exposed his inability to keep pitches in front of him. For me that's the biggest challenge is replacing Tanner. Strong D and some pop.

Also, anyone see any other teams playing Rawlings bats in the post season? I coached travel ball and never liked the Rawlings bats. Maybe getting away from them would help...

Reactions: saluno22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT