ADVERTISEMENT

price gouging...

If there is any sort of silver lining to this whole thing, I hope that people start to realize that they need to have some stores on hand at all times. When black swan events happen people go wild and start hoarding. Now I’m not some wild eyed prepper type, but I always keep a full pantry and plenty of stock of commonly items. Especially if they don’t expire.

We have been lucky enough to live in a time where shortages on common goods seems inconceivable. Hopefully the general public will realize they need to keep a store room of some sort so craziness like this isn’t so wild next time.

Ya know I would never do it personally and would be disapoointed if any of my kids did it...but this is America and he did what he could to make some money and provide for his family and it isn't illegal...I would personally go without before I paid that much, and nobody held a gun to the people's heads that decided to pay it...

I passed on the last two packages of T.P. my store had Friday so somebody in bigger need might buy them...so again it isn't my thing...but it doesn't really make me angry either. Important to keep in mind this guy is not the reason we're in this place either.

Ya know I would never do it personally and would be disapoointed if any of my kids did it...but this is America and he did what he could to make some money and provide for his family and it isn't illegal...I would personally go without before I paid that much, and nobody held a gun to the people's heads that decided to pay it...

I passed on the last two packages of T.P. my store had Friday so somebody in bigger need might buy them...so again it isn't my thing...but it doesn't really make me angry either. Important to keep in mind this guy is not the reason we're in this place either.

It’s not illegal, but imo prioritizing profit over people is always unethical.

If a person lives in America and doesn't understand, and admit, that big and small businesses have been fleecing American Workers and consumers for decades, then they ARE big and small business execs.

As soon as a sheep starts to act as a wolf, that sheep gets eaten - TINP.

Reactions: kakdawg
What are all of the minimalists and van-gypsies going to do with their limited storage space?

I don't consider this much different than big money shorting the market...for every disaster, somebody is there to take advantage and make money off of it. Sucks...but that's America for ya. Free to do it if you know how.

it might make essential food/supplies more readily available.
so many a$$holes took far more than they need.
at 'arbitrarily' low price levels - empty shelves for everyone else.

Saw a story the brothers have donated the stuff. But if you watch the story. He's not sorry. He looked more upset he got caught.

As soon as a sheep starts to act as a wolf, that sheep gets eaten

This is what came to mind for me. Yeah, the guy was essentially a war profiteer, but how does that separate him from big business? Drug companies regularly fleece sick and dying people with exorbitant prices. Martin Shkreli, the "Pharma Bro," jacked up the price of a drug 5000% on sick people. Or how about the Sackler Family? They are worth $12 Billion, and for years they bribed doctors to over-prescribe Oxycontin, and lied about its addictive qualities, almost single-handedly creating the opioid crisis? Their proposed settlement has only $3 Billion guaranteed payout with legal liability protection guaranteed. I'd say people like that are much more harmful to society than a kid hiding jugs of Dollar Store sanitizer in his bug-infested garage.

This young guy hoarding hand sanitizer didn't seem to have a lot of money. In other words, he's an easy target for prosecutors wanting to make an example out of somebody with no legal defense. Besides, I read where he already donated the bulk of his stuff to a church that promised to distribute it to the poor.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
This is what came to mind for me. Yeah, the guy was essentially a war profiteer, but how does that separate him from big business? Drug companies regularly fleece sick and dying people with exorbitant prices. Martin Shkreli, the "Pharma Bro," jacked up the price of a drug 5000% on sick people. Or how about the Sackler Family? They are worth $12 Billion, and for years they bribed doctors to over-prescribe Oxycontin, and lied about its addictive qualities, almost single-handedly creating the opioid crisis? Their proposed settlement has only $3 Billion guaranteed payout with legal liability protection guaranteed. I'd say people like that are much more harmful to society than a kid hiding jugs of Dollar Store sanitizer in his bug-infested garage.

This young guy hoarding hand sanitizer didn't seem to have a lot of money. In other words, he's an easy target for prosecutors wanting to make an example out of somebody with no legal defense. Besides, I read where he already donated the bulk of his stuff to a church that promised to distribute it to the poor.

I think it's human nature to want to blame somebody when something like this happens, he's an easy target. Most media won't report that he ended up giving it to a church because there's more money in painting somebody the boogeyman....and he has nothing to be sorry about IMO. He took a risk, made a little money on the side, and now it's over.

I doubt if he'll be prosecuted nor should he be, as there are far more serious crimes for law enforcement to be concerned about. But here's a tip on how not to be an easy target: Don't be dumb enough to let The New York Times take your photo standing in front of all the stuff you've hoarded and tried to resell during a state of emergency.

Reactions: tpmcg

I have no issues with this stuff in normal times. However is emergency type situations this type of thing should be illegal. I have heard many places like Amazon are trying to shut this type of thing down.

https://thechive.com/2020/03/16/the-aholes-making-bad-worse-30-photos/
5e6f2bfa093d7_lc9tsocjtom41__700.jpg

We told y’all all about this asshole hoarding hand sanitizer. In the end, he got his. He’s not the only one out there profiteering in these times though. Just look at these other shidiots!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT