ADVERTISEMENT

Preview: NU at Miami

The writer definitely painted us as having the ability to beat them; seems fair to me. Their record from last year, seems to change the tone.

I'm still more concerned about the season opener against BYU then our road trip to Miami Fla.

BYU is at home, but they have a hungry talented qb - will be a great test of our D. Miami and their home field, was a horrible place to play in the past; they have the talent, just very erratic - when not, they play for titles

Their OL vs our DL will decide the game.

I love our chances then.

I watched some highlights from last years game, and obviously Ameer went all Heisman on them, but our OL seemed to open up a lot of holes.

Let's fill that stadium with red people

Reactions: GretnaShawn
I'm still more concerned about the season opener against BYU then our road trip to Miami Fla.
We're going to have to play solid against BYU to get the W. Miami is a dumpster fire. But they have the potential to cause mass collateral damage if left untreated. We just need to make sure we go down there with our heads on straight and ready to play.

I didn't think the article was off base. It does pose an interesting question about our offense, one we have probably discussed before on here.

RB:
Without a proven playmaker at RB, someone is going to have to step up. I personally haven't seen that out of Newby or Cross on a consistent basis. Once in awhile they pop a nice run and Cross can have some nice inside power runs, we are going to either need those guys to become much more consistent threats, or another RB on the depth chart to do so.

OL:
Could be a strength of the Offense this year, and if so, it should help our game tremendously. Giving the backs good holes to run through as well as giving or QB's time to survey the field in the passing game. This position group really needs to be a strength to give the rest of the offense a chance at moving the ball on a regular basis. Who knows how this group will actually perform though.

QB:
In prior times, TA wasn't really allowed to throw over the middle, everything had to be either very deep, or to the sideline. It's not like he can't throw there, but I believe the prior staff was worried about interceptions, and it is a more complicated area to look at when you have crossing routes and linebackers backing off into coverage, it's easy to miss a guy sitting there, and it's an easy turnover. I'm not sure how things are going to be this time around. We have heard that he won't be a running back, and we have heard that we will use his running abilities, so I'm not sure what to make of their plans. If however a similar offensive game plan develops where we don't pass over the middle, it's going to cause us major problems. If Bush or Darlington, is in the game, it probably gives us a more non-restricted game plan, but neither of those two have the experience TA has, which is another reason the OL needs to set the tone for offensive production.

These are areas I'm concerned about and Miami should have a pretty stout defense too.

For those that study this, I'm curious what your thoughts are on what actually makes sense for us to do given our offensive personnel.

RB: We have talent and some young talent that will kill ya - some new speed and moves coming. Newby made big maturity jumps and has good talent that may explode. Cross will kill you on power runs and has spin moves - with the diversity of screens and sweeps , things may open up for him. DPE is really going to hurt some people with his runs from various positions; among others. A much more diversified playbook in what is coming out of the rb area.

OL : Coaches have a great record of developing o-line talent. We are actually rated low, mainly due to inexperience. HCMR has openly stated; you build teams on your lines. I think we have some great young talent. We were physically challenged at some o-line positions at times last year; this will not be an issue this year - hope for a great start with youth; could be outstanding with a diversified offense giving us an edge. There were a lot of good run blocks last year from the returning players

QB : TA had real problems in areas you mentioned. He should take a big jump with these coaches or he will simply be unable : but he can still lead us to 9 wins... Darlington was not really getting the reps before the Spring game, I think it says a lot; and very disappointing. He was much more the " field general ", in the Spring game - depending on summer reports; he could get a real shot in fall camp, ... Bush seems a favorite for the back-up, but needs to mature quickly. Seen as the talent, he had a bit of stage fright in the Spring game; I do thinK his interceptions, included him forcing scripted plays and a great db play; he has the potential - Our home grown N qb looks good to me, can't guess if he is 2nd or 4th. Our qb recruits have a real opportunity in 2016; in the Spring of 2016 we will have a real qb corp ... So TA could be the B1G surprise if he gets progressions and completes 60%; again, these coaches are the real deal and have the ability, if he does. GBR

Reactions: NikkiSixx
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT