ADVERTISEMENT

Pretty good combine for AA

BigBL87

First Team All-Big Ten
Sep 11, 2006
Looks like he was Top 3 in everything except his 40 and bench press. What really impresses me is his 42.5 inch vertical. WOW! Kind of interesting if you look back to 2013, Ameer bested Rex by a little bit in each area, and Rex also was Top 3 in everything except 40 yard dash and bench press.

He did have a very good day. Comparing him to G. Bernard from 2013, who I think was the first back taken, A.A. bettered him (like Rex did) in everything, except the 40, but Bernard didn't do that much better at 4.53. It will be interesting to see where A.A. goes. Kenny put up some pretty solid #'s too. He's going to be a good late-round pick-up for someone.

Originally posted by Shermski77:
4.61 too bad he couldn't get down to 4.55
In a race, when the 4.55 guy finishes his 40, Ameer would be all the way back at the 39 and a half yard line. 18 inches behind. I think we make WAY too much out of really small differences in times. I got a stopwatch and I can't start and stop it in .06 seconds....best I can do is .15.

He was not going to be a first rounder and that didn't change. He had a good combine and could be the 3d back taken assuming Gurley gets good medical reports on his knee. He should be very pleased this morning.

concerns I have for AA....

Small hands and fumbling problems (24). Also am I the only one who thinks Gregory will be a bust?? I don't have facts just a hunch after watching him play a lot

Originally posted by HuskerJag:

Originally posted by Shermski77:
4.61 too bad he couldn't get down to 4.55
In a race, when the 4.55 guy finishes his 40, Ameer would be all the way back at the 39 and a half yard line. 18 inches behind. I think we make WAY too much out of really small differences in times. I got a stopwatch and I can't start and stop it in .06 seconds....best I can do is .15.

He was not going to be a first rounder and that didn't change. He had a good combine and could be the 3d back taken assuming Gurley gets good medical reports on his knee. He should be very pleased this morning.
18 inches can mean breaking one for a long TD, or getting caught from behind.
I think his speed getting to and through the hole will be more important overall, but .06 is not something to scoff at if you're looking for someone who will make big plays.

18 inches is not nothing but this time of year we over focus on measurable numbers that approximate whether a guy can play or not. We have 4 years of tape that says he can play. I think it's wrong to now focus on .06 seconds of 40 time to start building a case that maybe he can't play.

I don't think he can do 20 touches a game for 16 games but I think he can give you 10 good touches as runner or receiver, or even a returner every week. And that too is not nothing.

4.62 is well down the list, but given his other measurables and college career, he's going to get through the door. After that, he could end up riding a bench or becoming a danny woodhead, it will depend on who gets him and what other personnel they have. His personal effort won't be a problem.

Originally posted by RedSea:
4.62 is well down the list, but given his other measurables and college career, he's going to get through the door. After that, he could end up riding a bench or becoming a danny woodhead, it will depend on who gets him and what other personnel they have. His personal effort won't be a problem.
Ameer doesn't have Woodhead's speed. Woodhead is a legit 4.4-4.5 guy. Ameer could find a home as a RB/returner though much like Woodhead. I just grinned as well when I heard that 40 time. I knew it. Most guys knew it. Its funny how many high school backs are 4.4-4.5 guys and then they disappear at the combine.....
laugh.r191677.gif
Guys, 4.7 for a 220 lb high school senior is damned fast. Plenty fast. Of course you want that true 4.4 guy if you can find him, but they are few and far between.

ADVERTISEMENT