ADVERTISEMENT

Pretty good article from ESPN - Forst's challenge of turning around Nebraska

The media and message boards start hyping up names of coaches and over the years people build up a false sense of how great they are even though they actually aren't that great. Campbell is a perfect example of that. He got some upset wins and people use that argument. News flash, Riley got upset wins too. Upsets happen. 6,7, 8 win seasons will never win you championships and that is what Campbell has.

Baylor has a head coach that is legit and the media and message boards don't even talk about him.

The hype is on the wrong coach in the Big 12. It belongs to the guy at Baylor, not Iowa State.

I get it. Everyone's tired of losing. It sucks.

But yes, ISU will only be favored in one game the rest of the way (KU) and will very likely end the year 6-6 (7-6 or 6-7 depending on their bowl outcome). And that's with a national award finalist at QB. They'll continue to never win conference championships, even with almighty Matt Campbell at the helm. Not exactly the turnaround we're looking for.

Iowa State is a 7 point favorite vs Texas this Saturday.

Reactions: Top_Gun_
The media and message boards start hyping up names of coaches and over the years people build up a false sense of how great they are even though they actually aren't that great.

The hype is on the wrong coach in the Big...
Hmmm, this sounds very familiar...

Did you know this is statistically the worst defense in Texas football history?

Statistically Charlie Strong's 2016 defense was worse, giving up 33.3 ppg through 9 games and 31.5 ppg for the season. Now they do have a chance to be worse than Charlie's 2016 team.
Conversely they have their best offensive numbers in 10 years going back to the 2009 Colt McCoy team that made it to the National Championship.

Last edited:
you're right, good call. didn't check the lines, just assumed. my fault.

They will be a dog vs K-State for sure. I don't know how much stock people put in records vs the spread, but ISU is 9-4 ATS under Campbell vs ranked teams as a Dog, with 4 SU wins.

We will see what they do Saturday, but at 5-4 being a touchdown favorite over a ranked Texas team says a little on what Vegas thinks of them. Herman's teams have traditionally been pretty good in the roll as a Dog, so Texas might be a good call Saturday.

Reactions: Top_Gun_
They will be a dog vs K-State for sure. I don't know how much stock people put in records vs the spread, but ISU is 9-4 ATS under Campbell vs ranked teams as a Dog, with 4 SU wins.

We will see what they do Saturday, but at 5-4 being a touchdown favorite over a ranked Texas team says a little on what Vegas thinks of them. Herman's teams have traditionally been pretty good in the roll as a Dog, so Texas might be a good call Saturday.
agreed, seems high but who knows. tough spot coming off emotional loss against OU.

Reactions: ridge222
Campbell took over the worst Power 5 program in the country, and has them competitive in every game, with inferior talent. Dan McCarney only won 8 games one time in 12 seasons, Paul Rhoads never won 8 games in 7 seasons - but Campbell has done it twice in first 3 years.

In the last 3 years, they've beaten 3 Top 10 teams and have only lost one game by more than 10 points, with most of their losses being 7 points or less. At this point, I'd be thrilled with 8 wins and no more blowout losses.

ADVERTISEMENT