ADVERTISEMENT

Pretend Whipple was the interim head coach..

Since he is not an alum, How many would defend him like Mickey? Exactly... None. Move on and find a qualified coach with some history and get this thing moving in the right direction.
Whipple isn't a head coaching candidate any where. He's a candidate or retirement.

MJ has them fighting and believing, even being shorthanded. He gets the BG10 and some just dont and want to impose their will on it.
He has the "salesmanship" to be HC., which is a key element to being a good HC. You have to be able to sell your idea, your vision, your passion and having the players "buy" it and Buy in.
MJ just needs to find the best DC and OC and he would do great and bring in some big time recruits.
I agree with all of this. And it's not like any of the other realistic candidates is the magic answer. If Bill O'Brien had come in as an interim coach, they would be worse than they are now. He's coaching a team of five stars and high fours at Bama with one of the most structured programs in the country and BOB's offense probably has more pre-snap penalties than about anybody in the nation.

Last edited:
Makes it even tougher for new hc when trying to decide whether to keep the IHC on staff. Would it work. It's one thing to keep a couple of asst coaches but a guy that was auditioning for the job??
Agree. It's gonna be awkward keeping MJ with a new coach who probably doesn't even want him. That's why I think NU is bringing in Vance Joseph. It's the only way MJ can stay on staff.

Agree. It's gonna be awkward keeping MJ with a new coach who probably doesn't even want him. That's why I think NU is bringing in Vance Joseph. It's the only way MJ can stay on staff.
I don't think that would work. It would be like the girl you've been dating tells you she likes you, but wants to marry your brother and wants you to stick around as her friend.

he's got great speed. It's not his fault that he's played behind a crappy O line and had QBs who couldn't complete a short touch pass to a RB. He has a 41 yard catch for a TD. So much for the 29 yard career long. He has multiple other TDs as well.

As I recall that 41 yarder was a wheel route where he outran DBs who had the angle on him to the endzone. The guy is probably our fastest back and best in pass pro. He doesn't have Grant's power and wiggle.
His rushing long is 29 yards.

You said he was a threat to take it to the house. I guess I assumed it was rushing you were talking about..

This year, he has caught 1 pass for 7 yards.

Big threat.. :rolleyes:

Success as a coordinator, success as an associate head coach, success as a head coach and success as an interim coach are all things Mickey does not have. Literally the only reason to hire him is he is a former husker and people on here like that even though that same belief didn't workfor Nebraska the last five years.
Frost was only hired because he played for Nebraska?

Pretty clear after reading through this thread that there's a portion of Husker fans that are determined to be unhappy no matter who gets hired.

That must be miserable.

Interim coach has made WI good again. NU looked a little better for 2 games, but have looked the same for the other 4 under Mickey. He may be able to get it done but I need to be sold on it. A solid beating this weekend will probably turn most fans against MJ

Interim coach has made WI good again. NU looked a little better for 2 games, but have looked the same for the other 4 under Mickey. He may be able to get it done but I need to be sold on it. A solid beating this weekend will probably turn most fans against MJ
Except for the fact Thompson was injured and who knows how those 2 other games would have turned out…

With a healthy Thompson we would have beaten Minnesota and the Wisky Ioway games would be more winnable too..

Reactions: leodisflowers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT