ADVERTISEMENT

Press Conference @ 11am to announce new AD

Color me shocked!
He checks all of the boxes IMO. UNO's remaining sports programs and facilities have done very well. I know axing wrestling and football wasn't popular, but man that school has taken off. I continue to be amazed at their progress. One thing is certain. He has the nuts to make tough decisions that he knows some are going to be angry about. That might come in handy some time in the future regarding coaching decisions.

He checks all of the boxes IMO. UNO's remaining sports programs and facilities have done very well. I know axing wrestling and football wasn't popular, but man that school has taken off. I continue to be amazed at their progress. One thing is certain. He has the nuts to make tough decisions that he knows some are going to be angry about. That might come in handy some time in the future regarding coaching decisions.
Agreed. I teach HS and we have a ton of kids go to UNO over UNL now.

Also, the fake outrage over wrestling and football getting cut, when no one ever went to the meets or games, was comical at best.

And why not? They literally have not even had a football team for most of his tenure. If you can be an AD of a whatever-the-f**k division college UNO is that doesn't even have that many sports why can't you be the AD of one of the top revenue universities in D1?

The noise will be loud on this one. Think he will do well there but missteps will be loud as well. Overall, think he wasn’t the first choice but he is a good choice.

Reactions: dinglefritz

Also, the fake outrage over wrestling and football getting cut, when no one ever went to the meets or games, was comical at best.
I don't think it was fake but the number of UNO boosters pissed about it is I think over estimated. The "fanatics" were very unhappy. Trev shouldered the blame for doing what their administration felt had to be done.

I know why he had to do those things if UNO wanted to be able to play in the NCAA division 1 basketball tournament they had to get in the Summit conference because they have no Wresting in that conference…

I don't think it was fake but the number of UNO boosters pissed about it is I think over estimated. The "fanatics" were very unhappy. Trev shouldered the blame for doing what their administration felt had to be done.
Oh no, there were a few fans that were pissed, but most of it was just fake noise.

Omaha is not what it used to be. It was long known as a commuter campus with little to no student life or activities. Now its in the middle of one of the hottest areas of Omaha in Aksarben with access to tons of bars, restaurants, and businesses to intern at. I wouldnt be at all surprised to see Omaha eclipse Lincoln as the largest public university in the state in the next 10 years.

Omaha is not what it used to be. It was long known as a commuter campus with little to no student life or activities. Now its in the middle of one of the hottest areas of Omaha in Aksarben with access to tons of bars, restaurants, and businesses to intern at. I wouldnt be at all surprised to see Omaha eclipse Lincoln as the largest public university in the state in the next 10 years.
Yeah, that could happen.

I know why he had to do those things if UNO wanted to be able to play in the NCAA division 1 basketball tournament they had to get in the Summit conference because they have no Wresting in that conference…
I don't know what the conference alignment timing or anything had to do with the whole deal. UNO previous to hiring Trev had started a complete evaluation of their finances and sports programs. Trev I believe knew that was in the works when he took the job. When the administration presented the results of that to Trev it was pretty obvious where they needed to go. No doubt the move to D-1 one was a good move. I think SDSU and USD still have wrestling and they obviously still have football so I don't think it had anything to do with moving to the Summit. I think those schools have dual conference affiliation and play football in the Missouri Valley Conference

Reactions: saluno22
One, and I mean, one NCAA March Madness appearance by UNO basketball would trump all the wrestling and football titles at UNO...and a first round upset as a 15 seed or 14 seed, well, that is all that would matter.

Reactions: scarletred
Agreed. I teach HS and we have a ton of kids go Also, the fake outrage over wrestling and football getting cut, when no one ever went to the meets or games, was comical at best.
I was a student from fall '07 to spring '11, and agree. My first semester football was #1 and undefeated, students were excited, before they ended up shitting their pants in the playoffs as usual. After that, games were sparsely attended despite free student admission. And not a damn soul ever mentioned wrestling. When the decision was made to go D-1, I overheard maybe 2 or 3 people talking about how it sucked. It was an awkward situation but after some scandals in the dept, change was needed.

I was a student from fall '07 to spring '11, and agree. My first semester football was #1 and undefeated, students were excited, before they ended up shitting their pants in the playoffs as usual. After that, games were sparsely attended despite free student admission. And not a damn soul ever mentioned wrestling. When the decision was made to go D-1, I overheard maybe 2 or 3 people talking about how it sucked. It was an awkward situation but after some scandals in the dept, change was needed.
Dude, thank you!

The people that went to UNO games were family members and girlfriends, that was about it for the most part.

Come Saturday, it was/is all about the Huskers. And as for wrestling, no one was attending that or talking about it.

Reactions: scarletred
I don't know what the conference alignment timing or anything had to do with the whole deal. UNO previous to hiring Trev had started a complete evaluation of their finances and sports programs. Trev I believe knew that was in the works when he took the job. When the administration presented the results of that to Trev it was pretty obvious where they needed to go. No doubt the move to D-1 one was a good move. I think SDSU and USD still have wrestling and they obviously still have football so I don't think it had anything to do with moving to the Summit. I think those schools have dual conference affiliation and play football in the Missouri Valley Conference
There are only 2 teams that wrestle in the Missouri Valley.

North Dakota State and South Dakota State..I’d bet there all money losers..…

He could have at least told the Coach face to face that he was canceling the program instead of telling him over the phone after winning the Division 2 National Title..

There are only 2 teams that wrestle in the Missouri Valley.

North Dakota State and South Dakota State..I’d bet there all money losers..…

He could have at least told the Coach face to face that he was canceling the program instead of telling him over the phone after winning the Division 2 National Title..
The worry was that Denny would find out BEFORE Trev could talk to him face to face, it is not like Trev did this all on his own without another single person knowing what was about to happen.

This "face to face" idea is sort of nice and romanticized but if I was about to basically get canned, dumped, or get any really bad info, i would be more than fine getting that over the phone. Texting, not so much because it is super annoying to read something bad over text, reply and then have to wait.

I think it was the timing and the way he announced he was cutting those programs that pissed people off more than anything. Trev literally called the wrestling coach a few hours after they won a national championship, and told them they were cutting the program and they wouldn't be able to get into the facilities when they got back. Pretty classless IMO. He could have at least waited a few days and told them in person.

I think it was the timing and the way he announced he was cutting those programs that pissed people off more than anything. Trev literally called the wrestling coach a few hours after they won a national championship, and told them they were cutting the program and they wouldn't be able to get into the facilities when they got back. Pretty classless IMO. He could have at least waited a few days and told them in person.
Again, by then Denny would have heard about it from someone else. That would have been worse in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT