ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason 3 deep please

Here is how I see the offense shaking out. I am very high on the potential of our offense this year. So much more depth on the OL and an influx of young talent at WR. In this offense it comes down to QB play and now we seem to have alot of good pieces around the QB, let's hope AM tears it up.

OFFENSE:

QB:
AM
Luke
Smothers

As AM goes, so goes this team, I think he's in for a big year. Losing Vedral hurts, because we will not be able to play LM all over the field as much as we would probably like.

RB:
Mills
Johnson/Morrison/MS3

Mills is a workhorse. No idea who steps up behind him, my guess is Morrison. Mo Washington is gone. He was a talented kid, but I think having that circus out of town will only help.

(X) WR:
Manning
Betts
Falk/Hickman

Not sure where to put Hickman. I think he would be best served to focus on TE, as our 3 deep there are all Jr/Sr and we have some young talent at WR.

(Z) WR:
Warner
Brown
Nance

Sounds like Brown is a pretty talented guy. Warner won't give up the spot easily, but I wouldn't be surprised if Brown is getting the majority of the snaps at this spot pretty quick.

(R) WR:
Robinson
Fleming
Houston

Going to be fun to see this spot being used. We all know what Robinson brings to the table. Fleming can fly and Nixon will be here too, when he comes back.

TE:
Stoll
Volek/Allen
Hickman

Stoll is a returning starter, but reports are that Volek is the real deal. With Volek and Allen as Jr's and Stoll as a Sr, it would make sense for Hickman to work his way back to the TE room.

OL (1st Team):
LT: Jaimes
LG: Piper
C: Jurgens
RG: Farniok
RT: Benhart

I think four of these spots are pretty certain, with RG being an all-out competition. Hixon and Wilson have starting experience. Bando has earned PT and Nouili was a starter at CSU. Even Corcoran played OG in the Army All-American game and many think that is where he projects best at the college level. I went with Piper, as I think he is the most talented.

OL (2nd Team):
LT: Banks
RG: Hixon
C: W. Farniok
LG: Wilson
RT: Bando

Alot of depth on the OL all of the sudden, I went with Hixon and Wilson as Guards, but that leaves off Nouili, who is an absolute beast and could be a starter. I also left off Corcoran, who is one of the highest rated recruits in Nebraska history and could easily be in the 2-deep by seasons end at either OG or OT.

OL (3rd Team):
LT: Corcoran
LG: Nouili
C: Miller
RG: Lynn
RT: Sichterman

OL depth has come along way on paper. Nouili and Corcoran on the 3rd steam are both super talented kids. Gaylord could fit in here somewhere, if he is all the way back from his knee injury. If so he could be the RT and Sichterman could slide inside to RG.

Wow.....what an excellent post. Nothing makes me a happier camper than reading big, ugly animals on our OLine is ready to explode.

YES!!

Reactions: headcard
I think they work everyone at Duck R, and yes Hickman will play there a bit especially as he can flex inside to TE or and back as a shift and they can use guys like Wandale outside a bit as well, but he's still primarily a big target on the perimeter IMO. Expecially considering the lack of depth outside and the sheer numbers of slot type guys we have.

You may be right about Ty as a starter, but if he starts it's going to be at DE. DT is a lot deeper and we have too many issues creating pressure to stick him at nose.

Smothers may be amazing, but he's going to redshirt. Eligibility will have some fluidity this season but I haven't seen anything that says they are completely ignoring redshirt rules, especially for freshmen. They are going to not want to be dealing with covid induced roster expansion to that extent 5-6 years from now.
This is a free year, as no one loses eligibility.

Reactions: huskerssalts
This is a free year, as no one loses eligibility.

Has that actually been confirmed? Or is it just relative to this season for non redshirt players? Opening that up to redshirts would put schools in a position where they would still have bloated rosters 5-6 years from now.

WR Manning, walk-on, Betts
WR Robinson, Brown, Nance
WR Warner, Fleming, Houston
TE Stoll, Volkolek, Hickman, Allen
LT Jaimes, Banks, Gaylord
LG M. Farinok, Hixon, Sichterman
C Jurgens, Piper, Miller
RG Wilson, W. Farinok, Bando
RT Benhart, Corcoran, Fritchke
RB Mills, Johnson, Thompkins
QB Martinez, McCaffrey, Smothers

DE Stille, Thomas, Rogers
NT Daniels, Green, Riley
DE Robinson, Payne, Wildeman
OLB Domann, Gunnerson, Snodgrass
MLB Miller, Reimer, Mauga
MLB Honas, Henrich, Hannah
OLB Nelson, Tannor, Cooper
CB Bootle, Clark, Joseph
SS Williams, Farmer, Gifford
FS Dismuke, Pola Gates, Wright
CB Taylor, Newsome, Delancey

Typical starters most have, but I think Nelson wins that OLB spot. I think he's a much better player than Tannor. I also think putting Robinson at DE gets our best 3 DL on the field with Daniels holding down the NT spot.

That's pretty close to what I'd say. I'll just use your work and start from there :)

M. Farniok was moved to RG at one point in the summer (so it would be easier for him to go back to RT if needed), and I haven't heard that's changed. I'd put Piper at the LG spot. That would give us 5 starters on the OL that arguably are genuine NFL prospects, and I don't know when was the last time we could say that.
I'd pick Nelson ahead of Tannor at this point as well.
I thought Riley was impressing during the very short spring. Not sure Daniels is ever going to have the conditioning to play major snaps. Daniels may end up as the default starter, but I think his playing time will be very situational. He'll be out for passing downs, and rested often when facing the power run teams. I'd guess Riley as the starter at NT.
I'd love to see Henrich and Reimers (and maybe Magua) get playing time at MLB, I think they would offer better speed and quickness, but I can't see the coaches abandoning the experience altogether. Maybe Henrich could sneak in as a starter at the beginning of the year.
I think you have the 4 top DBs as starters, but Taylor I think fits best as the Nickle. I know some have Pola-Gates or even Bootle there, but I like Taylor there. I could see Taylor focused on the nickle leaving an open spot at CB for someone like Newsome or one of the other youngsters.

Reactions: oldjar07
Has that actually been confirmed? Or is it just relative to this season for non redshirt players? Opening that up to redshirts would put schools in a position where they would still have bloated rosters 5-6 years from now.
The NCAA in August mandated that no one loses their eligibility this year.

Reactions: huskerssalts
What ended up being the deal with him? Broken arm? If it's an arm he should for sure be ready unless there was nerve or connective tissue damage I'd assume.

sounds of it, it was all gossip. I believe he did wreck his ATV but never got hurt. If I remember correctly, it was a friend of his that got hurt, not him. So unless I heard completely wrong, we was never injured. Which makes sense because he’s been full go in practices.

Reactions: HominidHusker
I’m not sure overall how it’ll play out, but I’m far more confident in depth this year than I can remember for a long time. If nothing else, it should mean players aren’t complacent in their starting roles.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT