ADVERTISEMENT

Predictions can be fun and screwy

konaki

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Oct 18, 2002
I worry when most every prediction other than the Northwestern prognosticators picks Nebraska this Saturday. I think Nebraska wins only because we have revamped critical spots on the defense and have added better coaching on the offense. What I worry the most about is the lack of depth especially on the OL, it's critical that we see some improvement from back ups.

It is imperative that Nebraska stay healthy this year and build the depth early on because the BIG is a black and blue conference and you are going to see some players get nicked up. You want to know why the OSU's and Michigan's of the BIG are so dominate, they have depth up and down their roster. I don't want to keep bringing up the teams of the 90's for Nebraska but they were dominate because they had such depth and we need to get that back.

I think Nebraska is getting depth back on the Defensive side of the ball and is getting depth at the skill position on the offensive side but the OL is still a work in progress and those players behind the starting five need to step it up and push the starters. We don't have the luxury of depth on the OL right now that we can confidently say they won't skip a beat.

I feel the OL will get sorted out in the coming years provided we don't keep going to the coaching carousel, but as of now we lack depth. If we can finally get some stability with our position coaches who are much better than the previous group especially on the offensive side I think Nebraska can be a very good football program once again. We may never be 90's good but good enough to challenge each week regardless of who we play.

Just for fun I looked at the mess that is the BIG12 and they feel Baylor and Kansas St. are the tops in that conference. I had a chuckle when one prognosticator had this to say about K State:

Kansas State: "The Wildcats are just 2-10 against Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas in coach Chris Klieman's tenure so far, but Year Four under Klieman should bring a couple more victories against that group. The Wildcats boast an elite defensive front and one of the country's top offensive playmakers in running back Deuce Vaughn. Nebraska transfer Adrian Martinez is a wild card at quarterback, but he should improve now that he's in a stable program with proven playmakers around him." -- Cobb (also Jeyarajah)

Yeah right, Toure, Austin, Manning were not playmakers. I'm still not convinced Martinez is not prone to making mistakes at critical times during a game. He may prove many of us wrong but I kind of doubt it. I will say K State does have a better OL and that may save Martinez this year.

Last edited:
K state has proven playmaker?

big-lebowski-wow.gif

ADVERTISEMENT