ADVERTISEMENT

Pre spring Qb's and RB's

Sims will be the only healthy QB with extensive starting experience...not a gambling man but if I were, that's where I'd lay my cabbage.

It's at least possible CT never takes another snap in football.

The rest?? Good gawd I hope Simms can stay healthy. That's the rest in a nutshell for me.

Last edited:
it seems people still misunderstand my stumping for Haarberg to start the 2021 season

my reasoning had nothing - NOTHING - to do with my thinking he is a star in the making

it had everything to do with the fact the 2021 record did not matter, frost was going to be our coach in 2022 regardless, and starting AM (losingest player in NU history) was setting the team up for failure both in 2021 (3-9) and 2022 (4-8, whole staff fired)

my point was, and still remains: start Haarberg to see if he has an "it" factor worth building on beyond 2021 when AM would be gone and wins/losses would matter more than they had in frost's entire tenure

posted that in July of 2021. I was right on all counts.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Regardless, spring is gonna set the pecking order minus the injured players.
Obviously, Sims’ job to lose out of spring, then will see how Thompson enters the fold when he’s ready.

I’d be more than happy to have one of the others emerge as viable. We need at least three who can actually run plays.

Good news is we can relax about setting up for 2024… assuming a certain legacy wants to take the reigns. I’d let him drive this repaired vehicle on day one. He can also marry my daughter, once she’s of age.

Last edited:
Casey - Known ability and can be a good/great QB during this time of transition
Sims - Exciting to think about what "could be" While he has D1 experience there are question marks but he definitely has the talent
Smothers - Still really like this kid, he's doing the surgery thing just like Casey, not sure how that would effect him... his ability to run the ball is key... I think he could excel in the new system
Chubba - Just not impressed at all... He had his opportunities and just never showed much
HH - Not much more to add that hasn't been mentioned above... I'm intrigued
Torres - The Great unknown, was brought on with a lot of excitement, he's stuck with Nebraska through all the turmoil and from all I've heard could be a really good QB

In the end, I think Sims will get the nod, Casey backs up with Smothers as Q3 and we lose Torres & Chubba to the Portal... HH will stick around hoping for a Turman moment at the least

and yes, as stated above, if the Legacy commits next year then everything changes moving forward...

Just like other positions on the team there's going to be a thinning after spring ball and QB is going to lose two or three from that group in my opinion.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Just like other positions on the team there's going to be a thinning after spring ball and QB is going to lose two or three from that group in my opinion.
Probably. I just hope we’re giving Synek enough NIL to keep him around as a walk on.

Reactions: huntered
King Kong's reasoning was sound. It would have been hard to do worse than we did in 2021.
people refuse to admit this, instead opting to actively root against players on their favorite team in order to save face on an anonymous message board

sad

Which isn't saying much. If you apply Hong Kongs diluted reasoning might as well start Torres and build from there
except there is exactly nothing similar to today's situation compared to pre-season 2021

maybe learn how to read & reason before sharing your opinion. you'll look markedly less stupid.

• Haha
Reactions: USNHusker
AM's final season, at KSU, showed why he was our starter. He was the best QB on our roster. Normally you play the best QB. His biggest prob was his head coach, which he finally fixed, and in doing so proved he wasn't really the problem like a lot of us thought. Me inc.

AM's final season, at KSU, showed why he was our starter. He was the best QB on our roster. Normally you play the best QB. His biggest prob was his head coach, which he finally fixed, and in doing so proved he wasn't really the problem like a lot of us thought. Me inc.
my point in July 2021 also stated AM's best position was that of supportive teammate, not starting QB

his season at KSU proved me correct there, too

sorry you somehow lack both vision & hindsight. perhaps stick to being a perv?

Here’s my thing on Smothers, all with the understanding of a small sample size:

The good:
I love his commitment and dedication. We need more guys who are willing to work and wait for their chance and be humble along the way.
He had a 69% comp rate as a RS frosh on 33 passes.
He supposedly has some speed.

The bad:
In 11 games played he’s thrown 0 TDs with 1 INT and only rushed for 2 TDs, both as a RS frosh.
As a sophomore, scored 0 TDs and his comp% dropped 14% to 55% on 18 throws- the equivalent of 1 mediocre to bad game.
He didn’t do enough in practice to be the CLEAR #2 QB last year in his third year of college. Coaches barely trusted him to run a passing play at all.
In his total of 49 rushes, he’s fumbled several times, whether or not it was a turnover.
Other than some speed, getting through an open hole, I’ve not noticed rushing “skills” like evasiveness or raw power to fight for yards.
I don’t mind his calm demeanor, but I don’t see the eye of the tiger who can be a real gamer.

Summary:
If he want’s to always be fighting for a number 3 spot that he may lose, then he’s worth keeping. Otherwise, I’m just not seeing any signs of him being anywhere near what you want in a 3 deep.

The good:
I love his commitment and dedication. We need more guys who are willing to work and wait for their chance and be humble along the way.

The bad:
In 11 games played he’s thrown 0 TDs with 1 INT and only rushed for 2 TDs, both as a RS frosh.
As a sophomore, scored 0 TDs and his comp% dropped 14% to 55% on 18 throws- the equivalent of 1 mediocre to bad game.
He didn’t do enough in practice to be the CLEAR #2 QB last year in his third year of college. Coaches barely trusted him to run a passing play at all.
In his total of 49 rushes, he’s fumbled several times, whether or not it was a turnover.
Other than some speed, getting through an open hole, I’ve not noticed rushing “skills” like evasiveness or raw power to fight for yards.
I don’t mind his calm demeanor, but I don’t see the eye of the tiger who can be a real gamer.

Summary:
If he want’s to always be fighting for a number 3 spot that he may lose, then he’s worth keeping. Otherwise, I’m just not seeing any signs of him being anywhere near what you want in a 3 deep.
he also hasn’t gained an ounce in 3 years on the team

I agree - he is a Masker-esque fallback option if fallback options 1 & 2 & 3 go down

We could have gone 0-12 as opposed to 3-9.
one could reasonably argue 0-12 would've been better than the season that spawned your screen name

would've forced frost out then and there

but, we would have a diff coach now, so who knows how those sliding doors would've gone

Reactions: bshirt73

The good:

The bad:

Summary:
He was a better fit for the Frost offense than the Whip offense for sure. How well would he fit into Rhule’s offense remains to be seen. He supposedly really loves Nebraska in general so I could see him staying as ‘best of the rest’ experienced backup while he starts preparing to be a future coach.

There is this probably fantasy that Sims will resemble Randall C

The good:

The bad:

Summary:

I knew Smothers had a tendency to turn the ball over but fumbling 15 percent of the time? You just can't have that on the field. If you are not a talented passer you'd better have something going for you. Unfortunately, he hasn't shown good decision making skills either.
Just doesn't bring much to the table. Might want to consider a position switch and he is in a good situation for that. Is he willing to hit?

There is this probably fantasy that Sims will resemble Randall C

I knew Smothers had a tendency to turn the ball over but fumbling 15 percent of the time? You just can't have that on the field. If you are not a talented passer you'd better have something going for you. Unfortunately, he hasn't shown good decision making skills either.
Just doesn't bring much to the table. Might want to consider a position switch and he is in a good situation for that. Is he willing to hit?
I could see him switch positions and I think Rhule could convince him to do so. I think Smothers has some good moves and would make a pretty good wildcat if Rhule decided to use a wildcat. Smothers is a good player, he just needs to find a place in Rhules offense other than QB. jmo

We will have 3 4-star QBs from the 2020 recruiting class taking snaps this spring. 4 if Hornsby ends up here some how. (Is he still listed as a student?)

Eventually they all can’t be busts right? I think Sims is one most likely to be a star. I think Purdy’s issues are mental. And I think Logan’s arm is weaker then people thought.

Also We have the #1 TE recruit from 2020 & 2021. Chances are one of those guys is going to show up in 2023z

Could see Satterfield having Gilbert run the ball much like he had Bell do in SC?

Reactions: HominidHusker
I can barely breathe when Smothers goes into the game, just waiting for the turnover or potential turnover that is about to happen. I think he is more suited for FCS as a qb, not the BIG.

Or HH isn't that good and ended up behind several QBs on the depth chart.
Or maybe HH found out how much work it takes to become a big time college QB and decided not to put the time in. It was obvious NONE of the back up qbs put in enough work last year.

no, it's based on many actual posts that have been published on this very site

they will deny deny deny

I have receipts
People may be expressing their doubts. I for one like to tease you about your over-the-too enthusiasm for HH. But actively cheering against him? I haven’t seen it.

If he should get the chance, I would absolutely cheer for him and hope he proves me and all his doubters wrong. And then we can all worship Ding Dong forever.

Reactions: dinglefritz
People may be expressing their doubts. I for one like to tease you about your over-the-too enthusiasm for HH. But actively cheering against him? I haven’t seen it.

If he should get the chance, I would absolutely cheer for him and hope he proves me and all his doubters wrong. And then we can all worship Ding Dong forever.
I don’t mind the ribbing one bit

And again, my calling for him to start in 2021 had everything to do with our situation (correct and little to do with him as a player

Though he was coming off a 4th quarter comeback win in his only ever game action - something our starter hadn’t pulled off since 2019

Last edited:
I don’t mind the ribbing one bit

And again, my calling for him to start in 2021 had everything to do with our situation (correct and little to do with him as a player

Though he was coming off a 4th quarter comeback win in his only ever game action - something our starter hadn’t pulled off since 2019
I mean not really. They gave him an extra play after time had run out. Total lame a$$ Scott Frost move

Casey - Known ability and can be a good/great QB during this time of transition
Sims - Exciting to think about what "could be" While he has D1 experience there are question marks but he definitely has the talent
Smothers - Still really like this kid, he's doing the surgery thing just like Casey, not sure how that would effect him... his ability to run the ball is key... I think he could excel in the new system
Chubba - Just not impressed at all... He had his opportunities and just never showed much
HH - Not much more to add that hasn't been mentioned above... I'm intrigued
Torres - The Great unknown, was brought on with a lot of excitement, he's stuck with Nebraska through all the turmoil and from all I've heard could be a really good QB

In the end, I think Sims will get the nod, Casey backs up with Smothers as Q3 and we lose Torres & Chubba to the Portal... HH will stick around hoping for a Turman moment at the least

and yes, as stated above, if the Legacy commits next year then everything changes moving forward...
torres stays, chubba hits the bricks.

ADVERTISEMENT