ADVERTISEMENT

Practice videos

Husker.Wed.

Athletic Director
Feb 13, 2004
Omaha Metro
I watched several practice videos this morning. I know it is two days before the game and I know they have had a long fall camp and I know we can't have any injuries, but damn, there seemed to be a lot of dancing around and standing around in those videos. I mean, I don't expect them to be running gassers like Bear Bryant had his team doing in Junction, Texas, but it just struck me as a little loosey goosey. Maybe the coaches are trying to get the players looser than the opener last year.

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
I watched several practice videos this morning. I know it is two days before the game and I know they have had a long fall camp and I know we can't have any injuries, but damn, there seemed to be a lot of dancing around and standing around in those videos. I mean, I don't expect them to be running gassers like Bear Bryant had his team doing in Junction, Texas, but it just struck me as a little loosey goosey. Maybe the coaches are trying to get the players looser than the opener last year.
Where did you see these videos?

Well todays is considered an “open practice “ for the first 30min with the media. Do they really go all out for those?..
My other issue with their practices is that it’s next to the stadium in the open surrounded by some “houses,” maybe they won’t do much since they’re in front of people? IDK

Well todays is considered an “open practice “ for the first 30min with the media. Do they really go all out for those?..
My other issue with their practices is that it’s next to the stadium in the open surrounded by some “houses,” maybe they won’t do much since they’re in front of people? IDK
From a PR perspective, wouldn't you want to put your best foot forward when you know video is going out all over the world?

Good points

So which is it? Frost and staff are loosey goosey with practice and allow the players to slack off, or... Frost and staff are pushing them so hard they are puking buckets of vomit during practice?

None of this matters. Saturday matters. Biggest game of Frost's five year tenure at NU. It is just lowly Northwestern. But last year we opened with lowly Illinois and lost. Frost's teams have made a habit of losing to teams with lesser talent. That trend either begins to be reversed this Saturday or it will continue. We will see...

So which is it? Frost and staff are loosey goosey with practice and allow the players to slack off, or... Frost and staff are pushing them so hard they are puking buckets of vomit during practice?

None of this matters. Saturday matters. Biggest game of Frost's five year tenure at NU. It is just lowly Northwestern. But last year we opened with lowly Illinois and lost. Frost's teams have made a habit of losing to teams with lesser talent. That trend either begins to be reversed this Saturday or it will continue. We will see...
LETTTSSSS GOOOOOOO. WE READY

It "could" be a combination of some players responding physically to the long flight and prolonged jet lag with others. Who know?

At this point, these kids should be physically ready to perform. If some of their legs or energy level is less than optimal, I don't see an issue with those affected having another soft day to recover. Nothing matters till Saturday anyhow.

Reactions: keilwitzg
Media only gets access to the first part of practice where they are mainly warming up. I think the coaches want to keep the bulk of the scheme drills from the public. Also they're limited to how much tackling they can do.

But I do wish they would do scrimmage type drills more or do live drills without the tackling. Don't see much of that in the videos but do see it in other teams btn videos.

I don't think there have been any major injuries it seems besides decoldest (he probably wasn't going to play much anyways) so that's a plus.

So you think players and coaches should have a different intensity level when the ‘cameras are rolling’? You serious Clark?
GBR!
I didn't say that. There are obviously times in the normal practice routine that are more intense than others. If you know video is being taken to be published, from a PR perspective, one might consider which drills are done at that time.

I didn't say that. There are obviously times in the normal practice routine that are more intense than others. If you know video is being taken to be published, from a PR perspective, one might consider which drills are done at that time.
The PR aspect is, do the players seem to be enjoying this overseas trip? Are they having enough cultural exposure to take something away from the trip? Have they prepared physically and mentally to be ready to play a real football game in 2 days?

Other than loosening up, getting acclimated to the time difference, and getting their legs back under them, refueling their energy level, if they aren't ready to play Saturday, the people making the decisions didn't do a good enough job of preparing for the most important part, which is the game.

How's NW faring with their preparation? Are they fresher? More prepared? More tired or less tired? The answers start to reveal themselve in a couple days.

We took teams to Mexico and Brazil and it took about 2 days and the kids were back to "normal."

The team being made to stay up all day long when they got there was a great move. It almost guaranteed they would have a really good, long sleep their first night. Kudos to whomever made that happen.

Yes the coaches know the media is filming. Why would they put any video out for opponents to scout? Let them film jumping jacks!

Yes the coaches know the media is filming. Why would they put any video out for opponents to scout? Let them film jumping jacks!
Yeah, I never said to run our playbook, but how about show the team engaged in some serious activity or intensity? Programs need to always be recruiting and promoting.

ADVERTISEMENT