ADVERTISEMENT

Practice observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

inWV

Offensive Coordinator
Sep 22, 2007
Sports scribes got 30 minutes. Jojo, Stille, Honas, Manning, Step and Rahmir not fully dressed. Morrison MIA. Peter and Foreman at practice. Javin Wright at OLB in place of Jojo, Newsome occupyinig Bootle's vacated spot, opposite of CTB.
Adrian had a nice deep ball to Betts. Haarberg had a nice throw to Alante Brown.
Parker described Ru'Quan Buckley, Gunnerson and Jimari Butler as "big kids".
Also

Last edited:
Blaise G looks the part. Man, we have some good looking athletes, just need to play like it.

I'm actually really excited to see Alante Brown and what he looks like after a full year in the system. Kid has all the tools and I would love to see it all come together for him. He could be a nightmare to guard if AA, Fidone, Toure and some of the other skills positions play well.

Blaise G looks the part. Man, we have some good looking athletes, just need to play like it.

I'm actually really excited to see Alante Brown and what he looks like after a full year in the system. Kid has all the tools and I would love to see it all come together for him. He could be a nightmare to guard if AA, Fidone, Toure and some of the other skills positions play well.
The WR spot needs a true number 1. Brown or Betts, take the reins.

Sports scribes got 30 minutes. Jojo, Stille, Honas, Manning, Step and Rahmir not fully dressed. Morrison MIA. Peter and Foreman at practice. Javin Wright at OLB in place of Jojo, Newsome occupyinig Bootle's vacated spot, opposite of CTB.
Adrian had a nice deep ball to Betts. Haarberg had a nice throw to Alante Brown.
Parker described Ru'Quan Buckley, Gunnerson and Jimari Butler as "big kids".
Also
Me trying to remind myself it's just one practice in the spring and not to freak out that Sevion and Omar didn't participate AGAIN...

tenor.gif

Evan Bland article - Frost didn’t specify Stepp’s injury but said it was something that existed prior to his arrival in Lincoln. Neither Stepp nor Nebraska had been aware of it.
If this is true, sounds like something minor yet limiting that stemmed back when he was on the USC roster. Doubt the staff there had chasing down Stepp's problem as a priority item after he portaled. As for Stepp, how does one not sense a problem that requires surgery. Some kids have a high tolerance for pain, which isn't always such a good thing.

Frost didn’t specify Stepp’s injury but said it was something that existed prior to his arrival in Lincoln. Neither Stepp nor Nebraska had been aware of it. If this is true, sounds like something minor yet limiting that stemmed back when he was on the USC roster. Doubt the staff there had chasing down Stepp's problem as a priority item after he portaled. As for Stepp, how does one not sense a problem that requires surgery. Some kids have a high tolerance for pain, which isn't always such a good thing.
Sports hernias, for example, can be deceptive. Often seems like a groin pull or abdominal strain, until weeks go by and you realize it's just not getting any better. Not to say that's what Stepp had, but it's one possibility.

Nikko Cooper looked the part too. Who knows, i'm choosing to consume Kool aid though.

Frost has recruited really well by star rankings. Best in the division? simply put....he has the players

Nikko Cooper looked the part too. Who knows, i'm choosing to consume Kool aid though.

I'm not consuming any koolaid at this point. He was just one of them that really stood out that look like he changed his body quite a bit.

I am excited to see Ervin as well. Good looking running back. just hope he plays the part.

Me trying to remind myself it's just one practice in the spring and not to freak out that Sevion and Omar didn't participate AGAIN...

tenor.gif
Yeah, this early in spring practice, that’s a pretty big list of important talent to be missing.
JoJo Stille and Honas at least are more experienced, but having Manning, Morrison Stepp and Rhamir all out? That’s 3 RBs and an important WR at a thin position?

Sports hernias, for example, can be deceptive. Often seems like a groin pull or abdominal strain, until weeks go by and you realize it's just not getting any better. Not to say that's what Stepp had, but it's one possibility.
Ankle/foot

with 2 freshmen starting at offensive tackle spots where do Brant Banks and Teddy P fit in the next 4 years. they are definitely tackles. Once a player takes over the starting spot it is usually very difficult to beat them out. There are a lot of OT types on the roster and no openings for playing time in the next 4 years

little to early to be worried about that. And I wouldn’t say they don’t seem impressed, the man is doing his first ever spring camp and....

lol .. preaching caution about being too hasty in one's eval from the guy who declared that Betts would be one of the best ever at WR for neb. ... RollingLaugh

Well it’s definitely Irving Fryer for best so far.

Then I’m going to say Zavier Betts,

Reactions: SWIowahawks
lol .. preaching caution about being too hasty in one's eval from the guy who declared that Betts would be one of the best ever at WR for neb. ... RollingLaugh

And let me help you out here since you cut off most of my post. Appears you wanted to take things out of context...this is the key part of that post...”he has the potential to be the best WR we have had in the most recent years. That’s assuming Betts breaks out this season coming up and plays up to his potential.”

here’s my actual post...nice try though...

“Well it’s definitely Irving Fryer for best so far.

Then I’m going to say Zavier Betts, he has the potential to be the best WR we have had in the most recent years. That’s assuming Betts breaks out this season coming up and plays up to his potential. We have never pulled in a WR of his caliber and skill set, probably ever.”

Last edited:
What are you taking about? Betts is in good shape to break out this year and I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if he doesn’t leave being one of the Huskers best WR....the man has all the tools you want at WR.

now second, why do you always seem to have me in your cross hairs? Is it because of your obsession over my brother because we have the same last name? Huskersalts??? No genius, we are NOT the same person.

You are brothers? I just assumed you were one and the same.

You both write exactly the same way. Odd indeed 😉

And let me help you out here since you cut off most of my post. Appears you wanted to take things out of context...this is the key part of that post...”he has the potential to be the best WR we have had in the most recent years. That’s assuming Betts breaks out this season coming up and plays up to his potential.”

here’s my actual post...nice try though...

“Well it’s definitely Irving Fryer for best so far.

Then I’m going to say Zavier Betts, he has the potential to be the best WR we have had in the most recent years. That’s assuming Betts breaks out this season coming up and plays up to his potential. We have never pulled in a WR of his caliber and skill set, probably ever.”
Betts has long speed and is sizable. He looked decent for a freshman last year and will at least be a player opposing Ds have to account for.

with 2 freshmen starting at offensive tackle spots where do Brant Banks and Teddy P fit in the next 4 years. they are definitely tackles. Once a player takes over the starting spot it is usually very difficult to beat them out. There are a lot of OT types on the roster and no openings for playing time in the next 4 years

They will play the best 5 OL. If one of those guys are better than an OG they will move him into that spot and sit the OG down. That's the purpose of them cross training OL. That's the reason when Meredith went out last year for a game they didn't play young Farniok even though he was listed as back up center. They moved older Farniok over from OT to center. So they will still get a shot if they can play.

Holla

They will play the best 5 OL. If one of those guys are better than an OG they will move him into that spot and sit the OG down. That's the purpose of them cross training OL. That's the reason when Meredith went out last year for a game they didn't play young Farniok even though he was listed as back up center. They moved older Farniok over from OT to center. So they will still get a shot if they can play.

Holla
maybe temporarily but i wouldn't anticipate that scenario long term with a couple of these kids. there is a HUGE difference in draft stock between players who spent their careers at guard versus tackle. 4/5 star OTs should stay at OT for the benefit of their careers rather than moving to guard. Even if they are capable of playing OT they will be significantly penalized in the draft for not spending their time in college playing at the tackle spot.
Teddy P and Banks would be hurting their futures by agreeing to move inside. If corcoran appears to be as good at LT as advertised he would be crazy to agree to move inside as well. OT is where you want to be if you have the ideal attributes to play there. You dont move inside. OT bodies are unique and rare. You dont throw away your best attribute by moving inside. anybody can play inside
the numbers at that position that Frost recruited is going to result in a bunch of really good OLs sitting on the bench. Thats good for NEB. But these kids were so highly rated i would be stunned if they accept the bench. I would advise them to find playing time somewhere that needs them. Frost has his 2 starters and they have 4 years left to play. Anyone else on the roster is going to end up disappointed

maybe temporarily but i wouldn't anticipate that scenario long term with a couple of these kids. there is a HUGE difference in draft stock between players who spent their careers at guard versus tackle. 4/5 star OTs should stay at OT for the benefit of their careers rather than moving to guard. Even if they are capable of playing OT they will be significantly penalized in the draft for not spending their time in college playing at the tackle spot.
Teddy P and Banks would be hurting their futures by agreeing to move inside. If corcoran appears to be as good at LT as advertised he would be crazy to agree to move inside as well. OT is where you want to be if you have the ideal attributes to play there. You dont move inside. OT bodies are unique and rare. You dont throw away your best attribute by moving inside. anybody can play inside
the numbers at that position that Frost recruited is going to result in a bunch of really good OLs sitting on the bench. Thats good for NEB. But these kids were so highly rated i would be stunned if they accept the bench. I would advise them to find playing time somewhere that needs them. Frost has his 2 starters and they have 4 years left to play. Anyone else on the roster is going to end up disappointed

Haha I hear bro. You won't get any argument out of me from the pro value of an OG vs that of a LT. I absolutely get it. I'm not sure how it will work long term. Maybe you have a point or maybe not.

At the end of the day if Corcoran is your STARTING LT and Benhardt is your STARTING RT and Banks and Teddy P can't beat them out then that's on them. If they are better than other guys at other positions then coaches can give them a shot to see the field and START at said position. If they don't wanna do that I guess they could always hit the portal but at the end of the day the best player plays.

Another thing to realize when these guys make these decisions is that NFL teams absolutely loves OL with versatility. Maybe they play OG a couple years and a guy like Benhardt or Corcoran moves on and then the kick out to OT for a year or two. Now they have position flexibility on their resume.

Many guys like Sterup, Qvale, Lewis,etc have played OT in college and then moved inside and had NFL careers at OG. I guess I feel like guys should know that the NFL will probably use them at their best position to be successful regardless of where guys play in college.

If I'm a RS Frosh or Soph and a coach gives me a chance to get on the field and START at OG when I came in as an OT I'd jump at the chance to play. I think more times than not these kids would rather play than not. But of course if they don't there is always the portal.

As a coach you should love to be in position to have a chance at having 3-4 year starters at a position. If that creates a log jam then so be it. I think most coaches would take that every day of the week.

Holla

I hope Stepp can contribute but right now he looks like a recruiting bust. Same with Manning. Even when they both “recover” from their injuries it won’t matter. New injuries will arise. They are both too physically fragile for college football. Ditto with Sevion.

Haha I hear bro. You won't get any argument out of me from the pro value of an OG vs that of a LT. I absolutely get it. I'm not sure how it will work long term. Maybe you have a point or maybe not.

At the end of the day if Corcoran is your STARTING LT and Benhardt is your STARTING RT and Banks and Teddy P can't beat them out then that's on them. If they are better than other guys at other positions then coaches can give them a shot to see the field and START at said position. If they don't wanna do that I guess they could always hit the portal but at the end of the day the best player plays.

Another thing to realize when these guys make these decisions is that NFL teams absolutely loves OL with versatility. Maybe they play OG a couple years and a guy like Benhardt or Corcoran moves on and then the kick out to OT for a year or two. Now they have position flexibility on their resume.

Many guys like Sterup, Qvale, Lewis,etc have played OT in college and then moved inside and had NFL careers at OG. I guess I feel like guys should know that the NFL will probably use them at their best position to be successful regardless of where guys play in college.

If I'm a RS Frosh or Soph and a coach gives me a chance to get on the field and START at OG when I came in as an OT I'd jump at the chance to play. I think more times than not these kids would rather play than not. But of course if they don't there is always the portal.

As a coach you should love to be in position to have a chance at having 3-4 year starters at a position. If that creates a log jam then so be it. I think most coaches would take that every day of the week.

Holla

If I’m Banks and I can’t start at Tackle, but I’m better than at least all but one Guard, I’m playing guard, instead of waiting around for Benhart or Corcoran to get hurt.i

I hope Stepp can contribute but right now he looks like a recruiting bust. Same with Manning. Even when they both “recover” from their injuries it won’t matter. New injuries will arise. They are both too physically fragile for college football. Ditto with Sevion.
Stepp was injured last season, and the surgery was for something that dates back to when he was on the USC roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT