ADVERTISEMENT

Potential Portal QBs

Dog Dont Look At Me GIF by michaelmarczewski

You get the feeling there are alwayas going to be multiple previously very highly rated H.S. QB's in the portal, forever?
I do. But among them, you have to choose the right one.

I used to be impressed by the elite QBs coming out of camps. Now I realize they are a dime a dozen.

Reactions: king_kong_
McNamara would be pretty interesting

not too often a QB transfers in conference, but also not unprecedented
Without doing a lot of research, I think overall, QBs transferring to different schools have shown them to have better seasons at their new school.

DeVitto from Syracuse to Ilinois. Nix from Auburn to Oregon. Williams from OU to USC (a great year at OU and an even greater year at USC). Rattler loses their job at OU and moves to South Carolina.
Herndon from Va Tech? to Tennessee and monster year prior to the injury. Daniels from U Ga to W Va and decent season. Thompson from Tx to NU for a solid year.

I know there are others, just throwing this out off the cuff. I think, all in all, a transfer/portal QB who started part/full time at one school has done as well or better with a change in schools.

I'm not sure if a QB was a backup at his previous school and transferred to another school has fared that much better, not talking about the Joe Burrow type here.

Do I think NU needs another proven QB along with or instead of CT? Absolutely. NU can't be stuck with an injury-prone QB and the type of backups they currently have and still try to get this thing off the ground.

100% want CT back, but there is definitely concern over his arm injury and how much he'll be able to do during the offseason. I almost feel bad for bitching about how many times he underthrew guys deep. Not easy to play with a labrum injury. Love the toughness.

100% want CT back, but there is definitely concern over his arm injury and how much he'll be able to do during the offseason. I almost feel bad for bitching about how many times he underthrew guys deep. Not easy to play with a labrum injury. Love the toughness.
Going to be hard to get an experienced, game ready QB with CT in the fold

Similar to last year - if Martinez stays at NU - CT isn’t at NU

CT injury is rough and puts the staff in a difficult spot

Some intriguing names on the list…I do wonder what Rhule can do with the current guys on the roster…I’m a big fan of the potential for Haarberg and Torres…Rhule will have the luxury of being patient with a QB if he goes with a less experienced guy

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...entially-could-enter-the-transfer-portal/amp/
There isn't a need for additional QB transfers. There is a need for the QBs on the roster to play better. All of them suck. Need better coaching

Going to be hard to get an experienced, game ready QB with CT in the fold

Similar to last year - if Martinez stays at NU - CT isn’t at NU

CT injury is rough and puts the staff in a difficult spot
Yep, agree. It's weird having confidence that the new staff will actually handle this situation competently. No doubt they'll upgrade if they like what's available.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Yep, agree. It's weird having confidence that the new staff will actually handle this situation competently. No doubt they'll upgrade if they like what's available.
I looked at all 3 years Rhule was at Baylor and the way he managed the roster. It was an ever-changing position group as each year passed.

When I get done with the compilation, I will post it to see what others think. He is not a static guy.

He also consistently carried 19 OL whereas NU has carried 25. So something has to give.

He also settled on 15 WRs whereas NU has had 21.

Even at TE, he was at 5 and NU carries 12 on their roster.

Rhule also had mostly OLmen that are listed from 6'3" to 6'5".

OL that was 6'6" and 6'7" were only 2 and 1 total in Year 3.

Along the defensive front, he did seem to alter the position groups from year to year may be due to the style of play in the Big 12.

And he started in Year 1 with only 6 DTs and in Year 3 he had moved that total to 10.

It's likely his Big Ten totals on DL will increase to meet the demands of the running teams in the conference.

Last edited:
I looked at all 3 years Rhule was at Baylor and the way he managed the roster. It was an ever-changing position group as each year passed. When I get done with the compilation, I will post it to see what others think. He is not a static guy.

He also consistently carried 19 OL whereas NU has carried 25. So something has to give. He also settled on 15 WRs whereas NU has had 21. Even at TE, he was at 5 and NU carries 12 on their roster.
Rhule also had mostly OLmen that are listed from 6'3" to 6'5". OL that was 6'6" and 6'7" were only 2 and 1 total in Year 3.

Along the defensive front, he did seem to alter the position groups from year to year may be due to the style of play in the Big 12. And he started in Year 1 with only 6 DTs and in Year 3 he had moved that total to 10. It's likely his Big Ten totals on DL will increase to meet the demands of the running teams in the conference.
Schitts Creek Wow GIF by CBC

Is there any other way?

I have a spreadsheet on forum members. You're in the "m" section. LOL
j/k

My largest group is in the "I" section for Ignore Hopper.
RollingLaugh

A spreadsheet on members ??

I suspect the echoes are deafening in the cozy little chamber that he has painstakingly created

Without doing a lot of research, I think overall, QBs transferring to different schools have shown them to have better seasons at their new school.

DeVitto from Syracuse to Ilinois. Nix from Auburn to Oregon. Williams from OU to USC (a great year at OU and an even greater year at USC). Rattler loses their job at OU and moves to South Carolina.
Herndon from Va Tech? to Tennessee and monster year prior to the injury. Daniels from U Ga to W Va and decent season. Thompson from Tx to NU for a solid year.
I think it is often called maturity. Some of these kids need a dose of humility after reading all the clippings and they often get it their first year. I don't blame some of them for wanting to hit the reset at a different school. Some also find out things are not what they thought they would be with coaches. A QB, probably more than any other position has to deal with many variables in coaches.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
I looked at all 3 years Rhule was at Baylor and the way he managed the roster. It was an ever-changing position group as each year passed.

When I get done with the compilation, I will post it to see what others think. He is not a static guy.

He also consistently carried 19 OL whereas NU has carried 25. So something has to give.

He also settled on 15 WRs whereas NU has had 21.

Even at TE, he was at 5 and NU carries 12 on their roster.

Rhule also had mostly OLmen that are listed from 6'3" to 6'5".

OL that was 6'6" and 6'7" were only 2 and 1 total in Year 3.

Along the defensive front, he did seem to alter the position groups from year to year may be due to the style of play in the Big 12.

And he started in Year 1 with only 6 DTs and in Year 3 he had moved that total to 10.

It's likely his Big Ten totals on DL will increase to meet the demands of the running teams in the conference.
Rhule’s emphasis on O linemen is athleticism over high school size. A story I read said that he was known for developing undersized athletic high school kids who could move. I’ve said for years that we need to try to build OTs from high school TEs.

Rhule’s emphasis on O linemen is athleticism over high school size. A story I read said that he was known for developing undersized athletic high school kids who could move. I’ve said for years that we need to try to build OTs from high school TEs.
The size of his OLmen at Baylor was on the smaller side, but Rhule said as much in his analytics piece that was on here.

I remember kids like Travis Toline from Wahoo who played for the Huskers.
The big kid in high school, small for an OL coming out of high school, but got bigger, and had great feet even as a low post guy in basketball.
Not an Outland type, but solid and he could move.

Even now, of the recruits, the Sledge kid seems tailor-made for the type of OL that Rhule looks for.

Other than the 10 or so who we watched at NU, the kids that have been on the pine, but MIGHT be able to really move, could start to make a move up the depth chart. We shall see.

Reactions: dinglefritz
The size of his OLmen at Baylor was on the smaller side, but Rhule said as much in his analytics piece that was on here.

I remember kids like Travis Toline from Wahoo who played for the Huskers.
The big kid in high school, small for an OL coming out of high school, but got bigger, and had great feet even as a low post guy in basketball.
Not an Outland type, but solid and he could move.

Even now, of the recruits, the Sledge kid seems tailor-made for the type of OL that Rhule looks for.

Other than the 10 or so who we watched at NU, the kids that have been on the pine, but MIGHT be able to really move, could start to make a move up the depth chart. We shall see.
Great points.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
There will be plenty of QB's in the transfer portal. Nothing worse than being second string behind the starting QB because you get almost no playing time (unless of course the starter is injury prone). QB's typically have big egos and don't like to ride the pine. The challenge is sorting thru all the potential transfers and identifying which ones can make your offense sing.

Reactions: HominidHusker
there are a lot of G5 and FCS QBs that can chuck it
I'm sure P5 schools have ways of messaging these kids with the message:

"if you enter the portal we've got a spot"

these QBs aren’t transferring to sit.
It's obvious Smothers, Purdy, Haarberg aren't capable of doing the job. Also, with CT, he may be having to have another surgery on his shoulder. No guarantee that type of surgery will heal in time.

We already tried that gig with the backups we currently have and it didn't play out very well.

I'd be more than happy to have Sims compete with CT for the starting job because at least the kid has shown he can play at this level. Of course, if CT leaves, the idea of having Sims at least gives NU a starting point with an experienced QB.

I think a lot of the QBs in the portal have had a history of injuries and missing games. It's the nature of the position.

ADVERTISEMENT