ADVERTISEMENT

Potential game changer in helmet technology?

newAD

Head Coach
Oct 14, 2007
Omaha
Saw a national news story on this a couple days ago. I'm no doctor, and I can't see concussions being eliminated (and they don't claim they can), but maybe just maybe this might reduce the chances. I find the softer shell intriguing. The news story said they'd be testing this helmet in the NFL in the 2016 season, and IIRC possibly D1 colleges. If it works, someone is going to be rich.

That's awesome, wonder if this goes mainstream how much these will cost for youth, high school etc.

latest

this is better.

I often wonder about what kind of damage is done from the players all smacking each other in the head all the time too. Guy makes a big play and goes back to the sideline, FORTY dudes are clubbing him on the head like "GOOD JOB! LET ME BUST YOU IN THE SKULL!" Can't be helping...

And I bet the NFL would gladly pay that.
Only because of the negative press they have been receiving for far too long. Otherwise those bastards wouldnt spend a dime on players as they see them as disposable commodities.

Bill Simpson (Simpson Safety Products - aka the guy that killed Dale Earnhardt - allegedly) has been working with NFL teams on a next gen helmet - although it looked more like a typical out shell with much different padding internally. The company is called SG Helmets - has tested very well but not really taken off with any of the major leagues.

Last edited:
The helmet taps drove me crazy when I played... You can get kicked out in a game for helmet to helmet contact, but other players can punch you in your helmet as a show of support. Go figure.

GBR

People are nuts to not think the helmet manufactures do not care about the safety of the players. Their liability is huge which is why there are fewer manufacturers than in the past. There are many rules and regs for how a helmet fits and it if is so old it has be sent in for reconditioning and it all adds up to safety versus costs. I did this at the HS level and we always had considerable expense just for helmets even at a small high school. The entrepreneurial spirit being what it is clamors for the first company to build a better helmet. They can charge whatever they want because players, coaches, parents, AD's etc will want them.

ADVERTISEMENT