ADVERTISEMENT

Postseason Baseball Chat re: Nebraska (5/20)

Alum-Ni

Administrator
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2004
Link: https://d1baseball.com/chats/d1baseball-weekly-chat-may-20/

Posting questions involving Nebraska and the Big Ten and others of interest:

Q: I hate what ifs, but if Creighton sweeps through the Big East tournament is there still a shot they can host? I know it's a weak conference but if they end the season with an RPI in the 16-23 range is that enough? At least to be in the discussion?

Aaron Fitt:
Yes, they'd definitely be right in the discussion if they can win the Big East tournament, coupled with their regular-season crown, good RPI and a respectable 6-2 record against the RPI Top 50. It would depend on what the other host candidates do, though. Creighton can only control its own games, it has no control over what a Miami or Texas A&M do, for instance. And those teams still have better resumes.

-------------------------------------------------

Q: Is Nebraska a lock for the tournament now that they won the Michigan series?

Kendall Rogers:
You never want to go 0-2 in your conference tournament, but I tend to think Nebraska is in strong shape no matter what right now. Solid RPI, made a point to play (and win) games out of conference, finished strong in their league. A lot of things to like right now, IMO. Kudos to Coach Erstad and Co. for turning things around when their situation looked a little bleak.

Q: Which championship does the committee take into consideration more, a regular season or tournament championship?

Aaron Fitt:
Definitely the regular season, as it should. One weekend should not overshadow a season-long body of work. Teams can still help or hurt their cases in the conference tournaments, but I think it's telling that the committee considers overall conference record including regular-season and conference tournament games. That shows you how they view the conference tournament: just an extension of the overall body of work, rather than a crucial championship of its own.

Q: I think four Big Ten teams make the NCAA Tournament, what do you think? My four teams are Indiana, Illinois, Michigan and Nebraska.

Kendall Rogers:
That's the right four, though, I would keep an eye on Michigan if it doesn't play well in the Big Ten Tournament. Michigan might meet the eye test and have a solid league record, but it lacks meat on its resume.

===================================

Link: https://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/?1558352127

Q: Does the committee take into account the regular season championship more or less than a tournament championship?

Teddy Cahill:
I think about the same. Like I said earlier that Texas Tech's Big 12 title is a separator from Georgia Tech. But the Yellow Jackets can negate that by winning the ACC Tournament.

----------------------------------------------

Q: Can Indiana host a regional if they win the Big Ten Tournament? Do they have to win it to host?

Teddy Cahill:
I think so and definitely. I think Indiana would need a bit of chaos around it to pull this off even with a tournament title. The Hoosiers are No. 30 in RPI now and jumping closer to 20 won't be easy. And even then, if NC State and LSU turn in strong weeks in Durham and Hoover, it'll be hard to jump them. So, I think there's a chance, but I think it's a small one.

----------------------------------------------

ADVERTISEMENT