ADVERTISEMENT

Post MAG trivia...

spartanhusker

College Football Hall of Fame
May 29, 2001
Ranker.com has ranked by fan vote the top 30 quarterbacks in Nebraska history,,,2 trivia questions:
1. who are the top 4 in order?
2.Who was the first qb of color to start for NU?

Total guess but I'll say Tommie Frazier, Scott Frost, Eric Crouch and Jerry Tagge, and for question 2, Nate Mason.

I believe Earl Everett was the first person of color to play QB at Nebraska, but I'm not sure if he ever started a game. He was backup to Dave Humm for a while, then moved to wingback.

I believe Earl Everett was the first person of color to play QB at Nebraska, but I'm not sure if he ever started a game. He was backup to Dave Humm for a while, then moved to wingback.

I agree. Just remember Everett coming in for Humm early in the 74 loss to Wisconsin but not starting. The next would be Nate Mason against FSU in 81 until the bone spurs in his ankle took him down and opened the door for Turner Gill.

Last edited:
No Van Brownson, Bruce Mathison, Randy Garcia, Terry Luck, Craig Sundberg, Travis Turner, Nate Mason, or Mark Mauer. All starters on solid team sans Mathison. Hell, they put Ryker on the list for his Maryland and Tennessee performances?

I thought Nate Mason was the first player of color to start QB at Nebraska..

#2 IS Mason.....Gill right after...Earl the first qb of color to PLAY....Sorry for the delay...was at a dermatologist appt...being out in the sun, you know...:)

Earl had a tough go in his first game action against Wiscy. Came from a Veer offense in KC and threw the ball little if any. Most forget that Tom liked to throw the ball around in his early years as a HC with Humm/Ferragamo. Took him until the 79 season and Quinn to make the transition to a QB run game.

Earl had a tough go in his first game action against Wiscy. Came from a Veer offense in KC and threw the ball little if any. Most forget that Tom liked to throw the ball around in his early years as a HC with Humm/Ferragamo. Took him until the 79 season and Quinn to make the transition to a QB run game.
Yes I always felt like TO was leaning toward moving to a more dual threat QB when he recruited Everett, then Ferragamo became available and that got postponed by a few years. Ferragamo was enormously talented, but didn't really put it all together until he hit the NFL.

Reactions: scarletred
ADVERTISEMENT