ADVERTISEMENT

Post-game interview...Riley really sounds like

SEMO_yogi

Walk On
Jan 16, 2007
a coach with absolutely no passion or intensity for his job. As much as anything, that would explain his past performance at OSU and now at NU:
3-8
5-6
8-5
7-5
5-6
10-4
9-4
9-4
8-5
5-7
3-9
9-4
7-6
5-7
3-5
96-85
Help me, where can you find optimism in that?

a coach with absolutely no passion or intensity for his job. As much as anything, that would explain his past performance at OSU and now at NU:
3-8
5-6
8-5
7-5
5-6
10-4
9-4
9-4
8-5
5-7
3-9
9-4
7-6
5-7
3-5
96-85
Remind me again why people thought all that would change here?

oh, they had all sorts of bs reasons. of course, those same people now will say that they didn't defend riley. it's comical. he was a decent coach who got worse over time and now has continued to get even worse here.

3-8
5-6
8-5
7-5
5-6
10-4
9-4
9-4
8-5
5-7
3-9
9-4
7-6
5-7
3-5
96-85
He wanted to find a desperate/numbnuts AD that would give him some extra $ for his retirement. He scored.

And those of us who questioned the hire were shouted down on this board over and over again. Where are those guys now?
Waiting until the next win (if there is one) so they can start a thread gloating about a win over a hapless opponent that brought the Nebraska record to 3-4 (as opposed to 2-5, yipee).

Reactions: GammaxuvirHusker
Clemson 58 Miami 0. We are lacking talent.

I never get this talent debate. There are over 13 million American males between the age of 18-24 in the USA. With 128 FBS schools and 44 for a two deep, that is 5,632 players. You can't tell me that out of 13 million that there are less than 5,632 players that are at some talent level way above everyone else in the world. I mean that is less than 1/2%. It's amazing how great coaches always seem to have great talent.

It`s not like this team has all stars all over the place. Heck our OL was dominated today. Let that sink in.

Quit making excuses for Riley. The play calling took the air out of the stadium for awhile there in the first half. any competent OC would had us up by 10 points at half. Sure Tommy makes mistakes, but don't keep putting him in drop back passing situations.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I never get this talent debate. There are over 13 million American males between the age of 18-24 in the USA. With 128 FBS schools and 44 for a two deep, that is 5,632 players. You can't tell me that out of 13 million that there are less than 5,632 players that are at some talent level way above everyone else in the world. I mean that is less than 1/2%. It's amazing how great coaches always seem to have great talent.

We can't blow Illionis, NW, or anyone else off the ball. We don't have a single complete running back that can do half of what AA did. We have an ineffective QB and apparently no one behind him who can make him sit on the bench. We have WRs with a bad case of the drops.

On D, we are lacking a difference maker off the edge. We have some young and potentially good LBs. We apparently don't have any lockdown corners.

On special tems, we can't return kick offs.

So yes we lack talent. There are criticisms of coaches that are justified, but we are not top 25 talented.

Pass defense is beyond addressing... No idea why we can't improve that.

Offensively we dropped (or missed) two sure TD passes. We're running well in the first half but got that taken away in the second. Forced to throw too much and as long as Tommy looks long I am nervous... Sometimes he does great things, but I'd rather he look to the intermediate routes more...

Don't really know what to say. We are so close to winning in every game, and find ways to lose. Is that coaching? Probably, I guess. But I still say we need to give them time.

If Riley makes changes to our defensive staff I wouldn't be upset but if he doesn't we either continue to support the team and coaches or we just stop watching. Simple as that.

Reactions: Crushinator
We can't blow Illionis, NW, or anyone else off the ball. We don't have a single complete running back that can do half of what AA did. We have an ineffective QB and apparently no one behind him who can make him sit on the bench. We have WRs with a bad case of the drops.

On D, we are lacking a difference maker off the edge. We have some young and potentially good LBs. We apparently don't have any lockdown corners.

So yes we lack talent. There are criticisms of coaches that are justified, but we are not top 25 talented.

Top 25? We aren't in the Top 75? Why aren't these kids making plays? I think a lot of it is on them, but I never discount good coaching. Players like to get on a role. Be put in positive situations.. When has this staff ever put the Huskers in a favorable situation?

LOL. Give me superior talent to every team that I play and I am sure that I can coach to a 75%+ plus win percentage. So, where is all this talent that we don't have? Not playing college football? At the FCS level? Division II? On Northwestern's, Wisconsin's, Illinois', BYU's rosters?

LOL. Give me superior talent to every team that I play and I am sure that I can coach to a 75%+ plus win percentage. So, where is all this talent that we don't have? Not playing college football? At the FCS level? Division II? On Northwestern's, Wisconsin's, Illinois', BYU's rosters?

And that ought to tell you something.

We have enough talent to be better than 3-5 against 8 unranked teams. Riley was gifted a ridiculously easy schedule this year and yet has managed to lead us to our worst start in almost 60 years.

Plenty of other coaches (McElwain, Harbaugh, Herman, Narduzzi) are putting in new systems and still winning a lot of games.

And Miami isn't a very good team. Clemson would run circles around us.
You're correct. Really bad football teams run circles around our really, really, really bad football team.

That should tell you just how bad things actually are. Keep hanging on to your crucifix, though.

Top 25? We aren't in the Top 75? Why aren't these kids making plays? I think a lot of it is on them, but I never discount good coaching. Players like to get on a role. Be put in positive situations.. When has this staff ever put the Huskers in a favorable situation?

Was Banderas put in a bad situation when he was expected to tackle a mediocre running qb? How about the blatant drops of wide open recievers, again, bad situation. I guess TA is put in a bad situation with all the screens and 2 yard passes. These are all glaring examples of lack of talent and you see it time after time every game. You're one of those posters that cracks me up with the "call the plays that work" bs...

We have enough talent to be better than 3-5 against 8 unranked teams. Riley was gifted a ridiculously easy schedule this year and yet has managed to lead us to our worst start in almost 60 years.

Plenty of other coaches (McElwain, Harbaugh, Herman, Narduzzi) are putting in new systems and still winning a lot of games.

Name me a coach who had a worse "buy in" situation than Riley walked into.

Im.not defending Riley, but there is no way those coaches you mentioned faced the sell job to the players Riley faced and is still facing.

You're correct. Really bad football teams run circles around our really, really, really bad football team.

That should tell you just how bad things actually are. Keep hanging on to your crucifix, though.

Have no idea what the hell you are talking about. Have another beer.

Im.not defending Riley, but there is no way those coaches you mentioned faced the sell job to the players Riley faced and is still facing.
This, the ghost of Bo will haunt this team for awhile.

Reactions: kikdakan

He's got a team with 5 losses by a combined 13 points after playing terrible football, he don't have it that bad..

Harbaugh didn't really put in a new system on offense or defense. Still has some of the same defensive coaches.

Was Banderas put in a bad situation when he was expected to tackle a mediocre running qb? How about the blatant drops of wide open recievers, again, bad situation. I guess TA is put in a bad situation with all the screens and 2 yard passes. These are all glaring examples of lack of talent and you see it time after time every game. You're one of those posters that cracks me up with the "call the plays that work" bs...[/QUOTE

If the coaches would put Tommy in better situations; roll outs, options on the edges, maybe 2 out of 3 run plays in a series, we could get some momentum. Score a few TDs so we are not always playing from behind. Then maybe when Banderas whiffs on the first long QB run and Gerry takes a bad angle on the second one we will have a little cushion and will not play so tight. I am 1600 miles away and I can see from here that the Huskers lose confidence and breakdown badly in the 4th quarter.

Pass defense is beyond addressing... No idea why we can't improve that.

Offensively we dropped (or missed) two sure TD passes. We're running well in the first half but got that taken away in the second. Forced to throw too much and as long as Tommy looks long I am nervous... Sometimes he does great things, but I'd rather he look to the intermediate routes more...

Don't really know what to say. We are so close to winning in every game, and find ways to lose. Is that coaching? Probably, I guess. But I still say we need to give them time.

If Riley makes changes to our defensive staff I wouldn't be upset but if he doesn't we either continue to support the team and coaches or we just stop watching. Simple as that.
These kids are playing hard and the games are close and fun to watch from a fan excitement standpoint - I think these players just need to relax and try and have some fun - as far as the fan base I say support these players and dont get on their twitter acct or something stupid

But I do think its a cop out to not address the job the highly paid employees of this program are doing - they are simply not earning their keep - That goes for Eichorst on down - as far as just sucking it up - That would be what Eichorst wants he knows making a change puts him out in the cold himself. I think he stalls for time until WI ad job comes open and then hopefully he gets that next year - My only hope is that by the time another AD is to be hired its not Harvey doing it - he has proven to be an incompetent also as far as hiring an AD goes and athletics in general

Reactions: Wasker77
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT