ADVERTISEMENT

Possible B1G expansion candidate: Colorado

Both are politically attached to their in-state brothers

Living in Kansas...I am not so sure that is the case. The University of Kansas will get what it wants...especially from the influential politicians on the eastern side of the state...trust me. Winking

Living in Kansas...I am not so sure that is the case. The University of Kansas will get what it wants...especially from the influential politicians on the eastern side of the state...trust me. Winking
There are no stipulations/agreements holding the schools together and there is nothing the legislature can do to prevent KU from going wherever they want without KSU. If the Big 12 were to dissolve, which as times change (cable cutting - college playoff etc.) it increasingly looks like it will not) KU will act in it's own best interest with no ties at all to consider regarding KSU.

There are no stipulations/agreements holding the schools together and there is nothing the legislature can do to prevent KU from going wherever they want without KSU. If the Big 12 were to dissolve, which as times change (cable cutting - college playoff etc.) it increasingly looks like it will not) KU will act in it's own best interest with no ties at all to consider regarding KSU.

I agree...other than sentiment, there is nothing holding the 2 universities together.

Again, outside of Texas, what school/market does not dilute the current revenue structure?

There aren't many. They have to bring a bunch of TV sets from a major market the B1G doesn't already occupy or be a major get for competition/profile reasons. Or both ideally.

Off the top of my head, here's a short list of schools that satisfy at least one of the above requirements, are reasonably in or near the B1G's footprint and have the academic credentials. In rough order of desirability...

1a Texas (they bring everything but you gotta keep the prima donna happy)
1b Notre Dame (the TV market isn't unique but they bring ratings and everything else)

The rest...

Oklahoma (weak TV/okay academics, but an all-time blue blood to balance the divisions)
North Carolina (bball royalty, solid TV markets and a crippling blow to the ACC)
Georgia Tech (great academics, ATL market and a chance to occupy SEC territory)
Boston College (great academics, BOS market and further eastward expansion)
Missouri (solid fit geographically and academically, STL market)
Colorado (okay fit geographically and academically, DEN market)

I've also heard Virginia's name at times, but that ship likely sailed when Maryland joined. There may be others I'm not thinking of, but I omitted schools like Florida State that have only been mentioned in dart throw articles at times of expansion fever.

I'm not sure all of the above are truly on Delany's radar and several probably aren't viable unless the landscape shifts again, but in the absence of a thorough revenue opportunity analysis, those would appear to fit the basic criteria for expansion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I agree...other than sentiment, there is nothing holding the 2 universities together.
In 2011 the then Chancellor of the University of Kansas, Bernadette Gray-Little, made a public statement to that effect just to make the matter clear once and for all. It may have been around the time that Scott (PAC) made an offer to Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Kansas (after pulling his offer to Oklahoma St.). Texas backed out and everyone (Big 12) signed a 13 year GOR instead.

I’m all for a one in, one out approach. More than 14 teams in a conference just gets too complicated and waters down rivalries. If we can get rid of Maryland and Rutgers, whose tradition aren’t worthy of the Big Ten and whose cultures don’t match in the least, then I’d be in favor of adding someone new like Notre Dame or Mizzou. I don’t think Oklahoma, Texas, or Colorado make any sense from a cultural standpoint - not Midwestern states, not close geographically.

I’m all for a one in, one out approach. More than 14 teams in a conference just gets too complicated and waters down rivalries. If we can get rid of Maryland and Rutgers, whose tradition aren’t worthy of the Big Ten and whose cultures don’t match in the least, then I’d be in favor of adding someone new like Notre Dame or Mizzou. I don’t think Oklahoma, Texas, or Colorado make any sense from a cultural standpoint - not Midwestern states, not close geographically.
That would be difficult to do as Big Ten membership also has an academic coalition.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten_Academic_Alliance

Both are politically attached to their in-state brothers
It's a huge myth that has been around forever. IF a big, rich, lucrative conference were to offer membership to one of the in state schools but not the other, it would be politically impossible for the politicians to ultimately deny that opportunity to one of the schools. They're just not going to penalize a school that gets such an invite in the end. They'll make noise at the beginning but will cave like a house of cards if there is any serious hint that the deal will fall through as a result of them imposing a condition.

While Maryland and Rutgers are not good football schools themselves it has helped the B1G with regards to enlarging its football recruiting grounds and its no coincidence PSU is getting closer back to blue blood status with them in the league. Either of these recruiting areas can be the 2nd best area next to Ohio in any given year. Go back and look at some of the monster ratings PSU has generated in some of the games they were involved in. Mich. vs PSU pulled in 7M last year while the ND vs USC game in the same time slot didn't even hit 3M, and a lot of people thought the ND vs USC game could have playoff implications if the winner ran the table. The PSU vs OSU game just missed 10M. they even pulled in a respectable 5.3M against Iowa.

Colorado would likely never be an expansion team going to 16 because they don't help this league's recruiting enough. The B1G has the weakest recruiting area of any of the P5 leagues, and have to rely on their brand/fan support to get recruits. The next addition needs to add improved recruiting grounds again.
You basically have 3 options:
1. Atlantic coastal states with NC/Va. and possibly dipping into Georgia with Ga. Tech
2. Texas- but I think they require more geographical partners than just OU. Being the southern most school in a northern league would really hurt their recruiting against Texas A&M and other SEC schools. The B1G doesn't like TT academics so it becomes a problem. I think the B1G should bit the bullet and take TT with UT & OU if that's what it takes. For that matter if UT wanted 2 in state schools and Houston was desired I would take them also to add 4 schools.
***A lot of internet fodder but if the B1G could pull A&M away from the SEC to go with UT & OU that would be a grand slam and the best the B1G could do IMO. Let UT & A&M pick the 4th. HMMM, could that be one of the rumored schools the above poster mentioned the SEC wouldn't be happy about?
It also wouldn't hurt that it removes TT, TCU & Baylor and to a lesser extent even OSU as P5 challengers for recruits. It would also greatly reduce the SEC haul of recruits in Texas.
3. California- offer all 4 California schools from the PAC. If it required adding Washington & OU to do it and go to 20 I would seriously think about it as the B1G. If this ever happened what league could offer ND a league schedule with more of its traditional rivals in USC, Stanford, Mich., MSU, & Purdue?

I think I like #2 the best of all the options.

Last edited:
Missouri and Oklahoma. Cool.

The SEC would give the B1G a huge thank you if they took Missouri, especially if it was in an expansion of two teams going to 16 which would never happen because its too valuable of a spot. Missouri is a bad fit for the current SEC.

Reactions: Quix0te
The SEC would give the B1G a huge thank you if they took Missouri, especially if it was in an expansion of two teams going to 16 which would never happen because its too valuable of a spot. Missouri is a bad fit for the current SEC.
Mizzou is also a bad fit for the B1G. You do understand that their race riots have decreased enrollment by 35%, right? Mizzou has also closed seven dorms.

http://thefederalist.com/2017/07/12/student-riots-slashed-mizzou-enrollment-35-percent-two-years/

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local...cle_6e951473-8ee3-5c50-858b-adf1783ad81e.html

Last edited:
Kansas and Colorado? wow...those are horrible programs (Kansas bball is different). You need to get into Florida and get UCF and FAU. Huge markets and a ton of potential. Think Frost would like coming to Florida once or twice a year during the season to recruit? YUP. I don't think anyone in Florida has tuned in for a CU or KU game.

Kansas and Colorado? wow...those are horrible programs (Kansas bball is different). You need to get into Florida and get UCF and FAU. Huge markets and a ton of potential. Think Frost would like coming to Florida once or twice a year during the season to recruit? YUP. I don't think anyone in Florida has tuned in for a CU or KU game.
Yuck. For a truly national audience, the B1G would add Army, Navy, Air Force and Notre Dame.

Yuck. For a truly national audience, the B1G would add Army, Navy, Air Force and Notre Dame.

Yuck? Dude they are the largest school in the nation in Orlando with a top 10 market. Army and Air Force? lol How many national Air Force games have you watched? ND ya pipe dream. Glad your not a commish of a conference.

I really doubt that Colorado will ever be in the B1G (or anyone from the Mountain or Pacific time zones). I think Oklahoma and Texas are much more likely candidates IF the B1G ever expands again.
You might think you would want Texas and Oklahoma, but would you? Dealing with Texas is a dance without an end or any pleasure in it. With the new blood in KUs athletic department-and a world class Football Coach, 315 million dollars Our Chancellor has approved in updates to Old Memorial KU should be ready for Big 10 competition in short order. Add Missouri to that plate, and the Big 10 has a combination much better for the spirit of the Conference than Oklahoma or Texas. Look at the map and see if you don't agree.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9and4
You might think you would want Texas and Oklahoma, but would you really? Dealing with Texas is a dance without an end or any pleasure in it. With the new blood in KUs athletic department-and a world class Football Coach, 315 million dollars Our Chancellor has approved in updates to Old Memorial KU should be ready for Big 10 competition in short order. Add Missouri to that plate and the Big 10 has a combination much better for the spirit of the Conference than Oklahoma or Texas. Look at the map and see if you don't agree. This one comes with Pictures folks.
article174926821.html

what we want is irrelevant, what will the BIG want:

1. Texas
2. Notre Dame
3. Oklahoma
4. ??

Reactions: dpnavy
Vernshel
I don't think the bylaws as they are presently configured in the Big 10 would allow for Oklahoma and Texas as members. Jim Delany would rue the day they let them in. The Big10 would have nothing but trouble. By adding KU and a partner the Big would have
16 Members-Great for Basketball and other sports
One of the Nations most loyal fan bases
NO Drama. And that Partner would naturally be Mizzou.

The SEC would give the B1G a huge thank you if they took Missouri, especially if it was in an expansion of two teams going to 16 which would never happen because it's too valuable of a spot. Missouri is a bad fit for the current SEC.
MU is trying its hand at being a Southen State again. It cannot keep up SEC for long. Oklahoma and Texas fit much better in the SEC

You might think you would want Texas and Oklahoma, but would you? Dealing with Texas is a dance without an end or any pleasure in it. With the new blood in KUs athletic department-and a world class Football Coach, 315 million dollars Our Chancellor has approved in updates to Old Memorial KU should be ready for Big 10 competition in short order. Add Missouri to that plate, and the Big 10 has a combination much better for the spirit of the Conference than Oklahoma or Texas. Look at the map and see if you don't agree.
It's now about TV eyeballs and time zone matching. Kansas and Colorado don't bring enough TV eyeballs for their football programs. Colorado has the added problem of being in the wrong time zone to mesh with the eastern teams. We may hate Texas but there is no denying the financial clout they would bring any conference.

A
MU is trying its hand at being a Southen State again. It cannot keep up SEC for long. Oklahoma and Texas fit much better in the SEC
Agree, Missery and Notre Dame better fit, but BIG may want to just maximize $, and to get Texas OU would come along too. Just Texas and Notre Dame would be a financial windfall.

I would like to see CU in our division of the B1G. Personally, I would like to see the conference expand to 18 teams with 9 in a division. You would then play all other 8 teams with no crossovers, thus determining a true division champ. Return to 4 non conference games

Hmmm.....that's a damn good idea. It would remove "schedule" as a huge factor in determining the division champion. I like that!

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Hmmm.....that's a damn good idea. It would remove "schedule" as a huge factor in determining the division champion. I like that!
Thanks. But there are two problems with my idea. First, where are we going to find four more teams to add? We could raid the Big 12 I guess and try and get CU, OU, Texas, and Kansas. But that is a stretch. It will probably never happen. Second, if there are no crossover games between divisions in what sense is this a real unified conference and not two separate conferences who have a playoff game in December? Crossover games are hard to avoid therefore.

It's KU and Oklahoma.

According to an article on 247sports from December 5, a source within the Big Ten states that the BIG is targeting OU and Texas for the next round of expansion. A similar article from July of this year stated that the Big Ten Network and Fox have already approached OU regarding their tier 3 rights, which so far, OU has not extended to the Big 12. I’m not sure how it works, but the GOR in the Big 12 goes through 2024, but OUs tier 3 rights are up for negotiation in 2021.

As much as I would prefer KU and OU, that’s not happening. It OU and Texas. That makes the Big Ten a juggernaut and basically guarantees Big Ten financial dominance of college football for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: dpnavy
In my opinion the Big Ten made a mistake when they didn't go after Kansas and Missouri when the picked up Nebraska. This would balance out the west and give them 2 additional good basketball, 1 average football (Missouri) and 1 poor (for now) football schools. The would also pick up the St. Louis and Kansas City television markets.

Reactions: briarmaster
Texas won't join the SEC for academic reasons. They're a bit prideful that way. It would tarnish their image.
Bingo. No way we would ever consider the SEC. B1G and Pac? Absolutely but never the SEC.
As for our coming to the B1G and trying to run the show? I doubt it. Those guys (powers/dodds) and long gone. The new AD seems far more concerned with creating a great experience for the fans than how much money we can make. It's a refreshing change.

Reactions: bigboxes and 9and4
I don't see any real benefit in adding CU. CU spent years and years advertising itself as a west coast school until they finally were admitted to the Pac-12. There was a very obvious superiority complex apparent among the CU/Boulder elite toward the rest of the Big 8 and later Big 12 (except Texas which managed to surpass it). The school even alienated itself from much of the state of Colorado (as a resident of Colorado I know this all too well and its a big reason local talent looks elsewhere before considering CU). If they don't like the Pac-12, I say tough luck.
I do think expansion is inevitable for the Big 10, but I would hope this round favors established football programs with a following, rather than TV markets. I don't believe Maryland and Rutgers brought in a sizable TV audience even if they are located by massive television markets. My preference, in order, would be 1) Oklahoma (national following, reinstates a long-time rivalry, evens out the east-west power structure) 2) Florida St (national following, expansion into Florida recruiting territory) 3) Texas A&M (re-entrance into Texas market but might be difficult to pull out of SEC) 4) Georgia Tech (not a major power but could become one, Georgia recruiting territory) 5) North Carolina (SE territory)

If it was Texas & Oklahoma. Talk about a balanced conference!

Oklahoma Ohio State
Texas Michigan
Nebraska Penn State
Wisconsin MSU
Northwestern Purdue
Iowa Maryland
Minnesota Indiana
Illinois Rutgers

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT