ADVERTISEMENT

Positivity reigns in Nebraska under new coach Mike Riley

thanks. im hopeful for mr's staff this year, but know its always a bit uphill getting your system in place 1st year. his personality should help.

thanks. im hopeful for mr's staff this year, but know its always a bit uphill getting your system in place 1st year. his personality should help.
His personality won't hurt, but his organization is what is going to help him the most.

Reactions: tpmcg
that could all change rapidly after the first game, just a heads up

The rats will come out of their holes screaming "I told you so" the first time NU trails in a game. Just the way it is. The only way they won't is if we go undefeated.
The ones that do are simply hypocritical. They thought Bo needed 30 years because Osborne hired him, or they got to meet and talk to him for a couple minutes. Sheep

The ones that do are simply hypocritical. They thought Bo needed 30 years because Osborne hired him, or they got to meet and talk to him for a couple minutes. Sheep

Those same people will do the same thing with Riley if he's about a 9-win coach. Those people will think until their dying day that every so-so coach will win 3 national titles in 4 years and play for a 5th if you just stick with them for a few decades.

The others will freak out every time there's a loss or an ugly win, and suggest that we should hire Urban, it's just a matter of backing up the Brinks truck because Goddamn it, this is Nebraska and everyone wants to be the coach here whether they admit it or not.

The recruiting is instantly better. Could be a couple painful years while we're waiting for the new QBs to grow up. If either Armstrong or one of the RBs doesn't really break out this year, it could be painful to watch on offense. Can you imagine last year's team with just a mediocre running back?

Those same people will do the same thing with Riley if he's about a 9-win coach. Those people will think until their dying day that every so-so coach will win 3 national titles in 4 years and play for a 5th if you just stick with them for a few decades.

The others will freak out every time there's a loss or an ugly win, and suggest that we should hire Urban, it's just a matter of backing up the Brinks truck because Goddamn it, this is Nebraska and everyone wants to be the coach here whether they admit it or not.

The recruiting is instantly better. Could be a couple painful years while we're waiting for the new QBs to grow up. If either Armstrong or one of the RBs doesn't really break out this year, it could be painful to watch on offense. Can you imagine last year's team with just a mediocre running back?

Amen on the QB's. I know everyone wants to point to year 2 or maybe even 3, but can you imagine beating OSU and Oregon, or it might be a stretch to go 1-1, with a true frosh QB next year?

Unless Armstrong does his best Superman transformation, there doesn't look to be any B1G championship caliber QB play for a few years until those new guys get some experience on them.

I read an Oregon State article yesterday that brought me back down to earth a bit. "OSU had a coach who won 29 games in 5 years leave and hired a coach who won 30 in 3." I'm still on board with Riley, but yeah, that kind of took me back to day 1 a bit.

I'm just saying it's a possibility is all. I'm hopeful that he does well. But you have to be realistic too. Some guys are overly negative, while others are overly positive. The facts are:

Mike Riley:
CFL winning percentage of 56%
NFL winning percentage of 29%
NCAA winning percentage of 54%

Bo Pelini
NCAA winning percentage of 71%

Bill Callahan
NFL winning percentage of 47%
NCAA winning percentage of 55%

Frank Solich:
NCAA winning percentage of 63%

Tom Osborne
NCAA winning percentage of 84%

These are just stats, but it does give me caution when i look at the season to not be too overly optimistic.

I read an Oregon State article yesterday that brought me back down to earth a bit. "OSU had a coach who won 29 games in 5 years leave and hired a coach who won 30 in 3." I'm still on board with Riley, but yeah, that kind of took me back to day 1 a bit.

Comparison without context means nothing. Anderson is a great coach so OSU definitely punched above their weight. If we were looking simply for wins, we coulda just bopped on Omaha North's door and asked for Martin and Benning. If context doesn't matter.

I hear ya, but what stretch are we talking about? Was it Riley the first 5 years then Erickson? If so Riley had to right the ship... Erickson was a good coach for sure, and it wasn't just because Riley changed the culture. But that did need to happen when Riley first arrived...

I don't know if Riley will be a great coach for us. He could flame out. But I do believe we are in for an infusion of talent over the next couple of years, and I think he will prove to be a better than average coach. Will that be enough? We'll find out...

EDIT: totally misread the post from St. Anger. The above makes little sense now... My bad.

Last edited:
I'm just saying it's a possibility is all. I'm hopeful that he does well. But you have to be realistic too. Some guys are overly negative, while others are overly positive. The facts are:

Mike Riley:

Bo Pelini

Bill Callahan

Frank Solich:

Tom Osborne

These are just stats, but it does give me caution when i look at the season to not be too overly optimistic.

I'm generally of the opinion that a move was necessary even if MR doesn't win a title. I don't think he's going to do any worse than Pelini and we have a host of other intangible benefits. I think MR is totally capable of winning a title, but I don't think we're looking at a Bob Stoops year 2 type of progression for this administration. Not with the QB situation being what it is timing wise, and OSU sitting in that other division.

I'm generally of the opinion that a move was necessary even if MR doesn't win a title. I don't think he's going to do any worse than Pelini and we have a host of other intangible benefits. I think MR is totally capable of winning a title, but I don't think we're looking at a Bob Stoops year 2 type of progression for this administration. Not with the QB situation being what it is timing wise, and OSU sitting in that other division.
Yeah, I don't really think Riley was a long term hire, but a short term deal to fix the problems in the program.

Mike Riley:

Bo Pelini

Bill Callahan

Frank Solich:

Tom Osborne

I hear you... Not meant to be a dig at you. I'm one of those optimistic guys, so the wait is tough... This is a dead horse for me to beat, but I do think location plays a part in a coach's success, to a certain extent.

At least I hope so.

Amen.

The accusation that some fans remain "in denial" (made in this thread, although as to what was unclear) I believe is best fitting for those who act like the hiring of a barely-plus .500 sexegenerian coach cannot be questioned. I'm firmly of the belief that Eichorst and Perlman were too much focused on replacing Bo's attitude than purely looking for the best coach, and were gleeful when Riley said he'd listen. It may just turn out they hit the coaching home run, but Riley's numbers alone certainly do not support that expectation.

Amen.

The accusation that some fans remain "in denial" (made in this thread, although as to what was unclear) I believe is best fitting for those who act like the hiring of a barely-plus .500 sexegenerian coach cannot be questioned. I'm firmly of the belief that Eichorst and Perlman were too much focused on replacing Bo's attitude than purely looking for the best coach, and were gleeful when Riley said he'd listen. It may just turn out they hit the coaching home run, but Riley's numbers alone certainly do not support that expectation.
You are absolutely correct… Riley's numbers alone do not support the expectation. So why are you holding him to the numbers alone?

Your basing his ability to coach on numbers alone.

Amen.

There's certainly room to be doubtful, but Riley hasn't earned some of the hate that is sometimes thrown his way.

At least on this board we went through the exercise of listing the top 25 coaches with the best active winning records. The top 3 candidates who would probably move and were on this list were Bob Stoops (who is being thrown out of OU for not getting it done since Blake's players left), Mark Hudspeth, and some other dude, I forget his name, from a very small school as well. And Tressel. I'm pretty sure the reception for Hudspeth and some guy at NW Kentucky State probably wouldn't move the needle for Husker fans from a promotional/big name stand point. Tressel was a no go for half the dudes on the board it seemed.

The entire concern for MR can't be record related as Frost was a major contender in the board realm. Frost has no record, let alone a sterling championship caliber one. I would have been happy with Frost too, but we would have to admit that hiring him would be hiring a coach on hype and hope/change rather than some proven ability at the D1 level to orchestrate an entire program.

Reactions: arf_man
You are absolutely correct… Riley's numbers alone do not support the expectation. So why are you holding him to the numbers alone?

Your basing his ability to coach on numbers alone.
No, I'm not. I'm stating that the numbers alone negate blind faith in the guy or the hire. Don't pin on me what you cannot see or refuse to admit.

Nobody would doubt that Bill Parcells was a great coach, and even he was quoted as saying, "You are what your record says you are." They're paid to win games, not to be nice guys or have "positivity reign." Face it, he was a nice guy in Corvallis and his record there is worse than the guy Nebraska fired; was worse than Bill Callahan's.

Let's see how that 30 win guy does once he's at Oregon State and how the 29 game winner in 5 years does at Nebraska for a true comparison.

Let's see how that 30 win guy does once he's at Oregon State and how the 29 game winner in 5 years does at Nebraska for a true comparison.

I'm also interested to see how Pelini does. He may not be terrible, but I don't know what kind of competition YSU plays either. Who knows, he may dominate.

No, I'm not. I'm stating that the numbers alone negate blind faith in the guy or the hire. Don't pin on me what you cannot see or refuse to admit.

Nobody would doubt that Bill Parcells was a great coach, and even he was quoted as saying, "You are what your record says you are." They're paid to win games, not to be nice guys or have "positivity reign." Face it, he was a nice guy in Corvallis and his record there is worse than the guy Nebraska fired; was worse than Bill Callahan's.
So what you're saying is numbers don't lie. I get it. My apologies, I did misunderstand your previous post.

I'm gonna play the game with you that has already been played. How did saban become a better coach after leaving Michigan state? He was a .500 coach for four years with one 9 win season. What about Les Miles? 28-21 after four years at Oklahoma state. Dan Hawkins, who before going to Colorado went 93-22... Why did he suck at Colorado then? Numbers don't lie...

You see, there may be some things I cannot see or refuse to admit, but without question, the same holds true for you as well.

Reactions: arf_man
I'm just saying it's a possibility is all. I'm hopeful that he does well. But you have to be realistic too. Some guys are overly negative, while others are overly positive....

I'm more than happy to hold off making a decision about this hire until we have something to judge. And I am cautiously optimistic that things will get better.

The 30 win guy doesn't have a qb that has taken even one snap. How's that for depth. But, if you would like to make a comparison between the two, I would read it.

Do you think Oregon State and Nebraska are the same "type" of job? Based on Oregon State's football history Riley peaked and then some in Corvallis. If Riley took the Bama or USC job and his record was inflated just based on the differences between those programs and Oregon State would that have made him a better coach?

How did saban become a better coach after leaving Michigan state? He was a .500 coach for four years with one 9 win season. What about Les Miles? 28-21 after four years at Oklahoma state. Dan Hawkins, who before going to Colorado went 93-22... Why did he suck at Colorado then?
I think location does play a part in one's success. Do you think if TO had to play in a tougher conference his numbers would have been down? Instead of just playing a team the caliber of OU once a year vs say being in the SEC today where you might have to face 3-5 tough caliber teams each year, then one's record is going to be affected. For years Tom could not win the big one (OU, Miami, Florida State, etc) but we racked up plenty of wins because we had a fairly easy conference schedule.

I think location does play a part in one's success. Do you think if TO had to play in a tougher conference his numbers would have been down? Instead of just playing a team the caliber of OU once a year vs say being in the SEC today where you might have to face 3-5 tough caliber teams each year, then one's record is going to be affected. For years Tom could not win the big one (OU, Miami, Florida State, etc) but we racked up plenty of wins because we had a fairly easy conference schedule.
Absolutely! He is still one of the greats but if the old Big 8 were stronger year in and year out his record would have been different. Location does matter...

Do you think Oregon State and Nebraska are the same "type" of job? Based on Oregon State's football history Riley peaked and then some in Corvallis. If Riley took the Bama or USC job and his record was inflated just based on the differences between those programs and Oregon State would that have made him a better coach?
Depends on what you mean by "type of job." Yes - he's a football coach. But same with regard to facilities or institutional adavantages? Of course not. Hopefully the easier-opened doors of the red N translate to a better record; I'm totally in a wait and see mode. But after watching a few games of recent vintage on the dvr and BTN, and thus reminded of the systemic mistakes by Nebraska, I do expect that the team will be in better position to win winnable games than Bo's were.

Your mention though of USC's and Alabama's interest in Riley I find instructive too - but maybe for a different reason. Let's accept that neither you nor I truly know what the level of interest was - discussions only or did Riley turn down offers?

Even if one posits that Riley is a worthwhile coach because USC and Bama (schools with as good as if not better tradition than Nebraska) were once interested in him as head coach, then if he turned down those jobs in the past, schools with which he actually had a history and to which recruiting is "easier" than probably both N and OSU, why would he take the foreign-concept Nebraska job later in life? He was so comfortable in Corvallis to turn down those schools, yet felt the "time was right for a change" later on. What in Corvallis made 2014 "the time right for a change, a last challenge?"

Was it the pressure he was feeling for his recent record? We've all read that it was brewing in the background.

So I don't know how turning down those jobs back when he was feeling little pressure at OSU translates to when he took an offer from Nebraska when he was feeling more later on.

I've got nothing against Riley. He appears at all turns to be a friendly and genuine guy, a knowledgeable coach capable of winning games in Corvallis and Lincoln. I just don't think that because he's the personified anti-Bo makes him impervious to questioning whether he was the best candiate for the opening - or why he was, apparently, Eichorst's focused candidate without much inquiry as to any other candidate.

Im good with the hire, but the nice guy/positivity conversation means absolutely nothing to me. Lets win consistently and recruit well year round and then I will allow the giddiness to soak in a bit.

Depends on what you mean by "type of job." Yes - he's a football coach. But same with regard to facilities or institutional adavantages? Of course not. Hopefully the easier-opened doors of the red N translate to a better record; I'm totally in a wait and see mode. But after watching a few games of recent vintage on the dvr and BTN, and thus reminded of the systemic mistakes by Nebraska, I do expect that the team will be in better position to win winnable games than Bo's were.

Your mention though of USC's and Alabama's interest in Riley I find instructive too - but maybe for a different reason. Let's accept that neither you nor I truly know what the level of interest was - discussions only or did Riley turn down offers?

Even if one posits that Riley is a worthwhile coach because USC and Bama (schools with as good as if not better tradition than Nebraska) were once interested in him as head coach, then if he turned down those jobs in the past, schools with which he actually had a history and to which recruiting is "easier" than probably both N and OSU, why would he take the foreign-concept Nebraska job later in life? He was so comfortable in Corvallis to turn down those schools, yet felt the "time was right for a change" later on. What in Corvallis made 2014 "the time right for a change, a last challenge?"

Was it the pressure he was feeling for his recent record? We've all read that it was brewing in the background.

So I don't know how turning down those jobs back when he was feeling little pressure at OSU translates to when he took an offer from Nebraska when he was feeling more later on.

I've got nothing against Riley. He appears at all turns to be a friendly and genuine guy, a knowledgeable coach capable of winning games in Corvallis and Lincoln. I just don't think that because he's the personified anti-Bo makes him impervious to questioning whether he was the best candiate for the opening - or why he was, apparently, Eichorst's focused candidate without much inquiry as to any other candidate.

I don't believe all jobs are created equal. A 55% win percentage at OSU may be equivalent to winning 75% at Nebraska. We will find out...but based on Oregon State's history before Riley....winning 55% there probably didn't seem likely when he took over. Like I said, if he left OSU for greener pastures would some be complaining about his record at a doormat program? Maybe, I can't say if he would have been a success at Bama/USC but I would argue that his winning percentage would probably be better than it is now. You can question as to if Bama/USC really offered him the job and if so, why did he turn them down? I can only take Riley and others at their word...and it doesn't take much to research the subject(see below). The nice guy thing means nothing to me...im sure it's nice for some. Just win baby....I just don't buy this Riley's winning percentage at Oregon St as a knock on him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/colleges/us...-former-trojans-coaching-candidate-mike-riley

http://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/u...mike-riley-hired-nebraska-20141204-story.html

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/sec/2002-12-13-riley-alabama_x.htm

that could all change rapidly after the first game, just a heads up

Even if he loses some games which he will, he and his staff are a breath of fresh air over the toxicity that permeated Nebraska the last 7 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT