ADVERTISEMENT

Positives for the season

NYC-Husker

Walk On
Mar 8, 2007
The first great thing is that we are having a season! Secondly, I actually like the schedule. Playing the tough teams early will give us an early look at how much progress the program has made over the last several months.

I also like that Nebraska hasn't had tk shut down practices that I know of due to the pandemic. Add to that the fact that Gaylord is back, and Farniok is inside, and I feel way more confident in the OL this year. I was thinking that if Benhart struggles, they'll have to move Farniok back out to RT, and they still may have to, but a player like Gaylord should provide some flexibility.

I like that the team got in some summer conditioning, and they have been on campus for a while now, should have a better understanding of our schemes.

The staff did a really nice job in the offseason of trying to fix the issues from last year, bringing in transfers at kicker and WR, as well as recruiting some good talent at OLB. I suspect Cooper will get on the field a lot this year, and am looking forward to see how Graham, Tannor and Nelson have progressed, not to mention Domann.

In short, while I'm annoyed by the media ripping on the program, I'm grateful to have football back, and I think this could be a really good season, especially with low expectations going into the year.

The first great thing is that we are having a season! Secondly, I actually like the schedule. Playing the tough teams early will give us an early look at how much progress the program has made over the last several months.

I also like that Nebraska hasn't had tk shut down practices that I know of due to the pandemic. Add to that the fact that Gaylord is back, and Farniok is inside, and I feel way more confident in the OL this year. I was thinking that if Benhart struggles, they'll have to move Farniok back out to RT, and they still may have to, but a player like Gaylord should provide some flexibility.

I like that the team got in some summer conditioning, and they have been on campus for a while now, should have a better understanding of our schemes.

The staff did a really nice job in the offseason of trying to fix the issues from last year, bringing in transfers at kicker and WR, as well as recruiting some good talent at OLB. I suspect Cooper will get on the field a lot this year, and am looking forward to see how Graham, Tannor and Nelson have progressed, not to mention Domann.

In short, while I'm annoyed by the media ripping on the program, I'm grateful to have football back, and I think this could be a really good season, especially with low expectations going into the year.
Positivity for a change. How refreshing !

Positivity for a change. How refreshing !

Haha, I'm trying to bring it!

I was also reading over the roster and was pleased to see how many 2019 freshmen saw time in games and preserved their redshirts. Benhart, Banks, Piper, Snodgrass, Farmer, Johnson, McCaffrey to name some.

I also noticed that Ty Robinson, Casey Rogers and Keem Green all logged time at DL vs Wisconsin, so they've gained valuable experience against a key opponent. Because of that experience, the fact that Wisconsin is starting aginst Illinois, which beat them last year, and several other factors, I'm calling it now. We beat the Badgers in week 2 and destroy Northwestern in week 3.

I will admit I got super negative late last season, but I'm in full on kool-aid drinker mode now, hope more jump on the train!

Last edited:
Reactions: CBurns05
Need the offense to be efficient and score TDs - logged a lot of yards the past 2 years without them converting to the expected amount of points

the front 7 on defense particularly the 2 deep on the DL is a major concern particularly late in the season when it can be frigid and stopping the run will be at a premium

will someone please post what they imagine the 2 deep at the def line to be

I think a positive could be found in the big wanting the NU vs osu, wis, penn state, match-ups to make some money. Nebraska put eyes on tv....alot more then osu vs. rutgers...and in a covid reality, folks need to make as much as they can

Reactions: huskerfan66
Need the offense to be efficient and score TDs - logged a lot of yards the past 2 years without them converting to the expected amount of points

the front 7 on defense particularly the 2 deep on the DL is a major concern particularly late in the season when it can be frigid and stopping the run will be at a premium

will someone please post what they imagine the 2 deep at the def line to be

My guess for DL depth chart below. Tough because I believe at least a few guys may play both DE and NT. I feel like i'm missing someone, but here's what I'm thinking about a month out:

DE:
Stille
Green
Newsom

NT:
Daniels
Riley
Green
Hutmatcher

DE:
Thomas
Robinson

Year 3 we should be starting to seeing some significant improvement under Frosts team. Covid or not, tough schedule or not. It is time to start seeing results. Going 3-6 or worse would be devastating for Frost, recruiting and the program as a whole.
I fully expect to be 1-3 after those first 4. Depending how tough NW is a real shot at being 0-4. Now the good news I think those first 4 make us tough as nails and fully expect to see improvement the back half of the year. So much so I could see us winning those next 5 and build some real momentum going into next season. If we could even go 2-2 those first 4 that would be huge. Anything 4-4 or above I would consider a huge success this year.

Reactions: bshirt73
ADVERTISEMENT