ADVERTISEMENT

Position Group Grades

St. Anger

Assistant Head Coach
Dec 13, 2007
QB: B. Tommy played efficiently and had a pretty solid game but is still so hit or miss on his throws. Threw a pick too.
RB: C. They obviously didn't have a ton of chances but man that position group looks average.
OL: D. Utter got blown up several times. Lewis too. If they don't improve by leaps and bounds going forward we are in a lot of trouble.
WR: B+. Probably the most solid position group we have. Westerkamp making plays. Moore getting in the action as well.
TE: Inc. Did a TE record a catch?
DL: C. Gangwish is so slow it's hard to watch. McMullen is average too. Reminds me of Cameron Meredith. Seems to be there just to take up space.
LB: C+. I thought Bando played well. Gifford obviously left a lot to be desired. MRI will be a welcome return.
DB: C+. Gerry is a bright spot. Davie was hot and cold.

This is the most "average" looking Nebraska team I can remember watching in some time. I'm not on the ledge and realize there's a lot of season left, just basing what I saw on 1 game.

QB: B. Tommy played efficiently and had a pretty solid game but is still so hit or miss on his throws. Threw a pick too.
RB: C. They obviously didn't have a ton of chances but man that position group looks average.
OL: D. Utter got blown up several times. Lewis too. If they don't improve by leaps and bounds going forward we are in a lot of trouble.
WR: B+. Probably the most solid position group we have. Westerkamp making plays. Moore getting in the action as well.
TE: Inc. Did a TE record a catch?
DL: C. Gangwish is so slow it's hard to watch. McMullen is average too. Reminds me of Cameron Meredith. Seems to be there just to take up space.
LB: C+. I thought Bando played well. Gifford obviously left a lot to be desired. MRI will be a welcome return.
DB: C+. Gerry is a bright spot. Davie was hot and cold.

This is the most "average" looking Nebraska team I can remember watching in some time. I'm not on the ledge and realize there's a lot of season left, just basing what I saw on 1 game.

Dude caught a raccoon for cryin out loud. Can't be that slow.

Reactions: timnsun
I agree with this assessment. Hard to judge the TE situation, due to Carter's suspension and Sutton getting injured so early. Unfortunately that returned the position to legacy status for the rest of the game.

Totally agree about the OL play. Not that I'm doing cartwheels over the talent level at skilled positions, but OL is the single biggest area of need that will have to be addressed before NU gets back to competing for conference titles. Not blaming Riley or his staff for how awful it is, but it's on them to fix it going forward.

I'll relate it to coaching or what I perceived to be coaching

QB (B+) - Armstrong looked good when he had time to throw. The 2nd QTR he was not being protected, the mechanics broke down. When he had time to throw you could see the coaching coming though, he had solid mechanics and footwork.

OLine (C-) not substituting was a head scratcher. Stupid penalties, lack of push on the run game, avg pass pro. BYU would be a middle of the pack BIG DLine. They have some work to do.

WR (A) - The routes were crisp, clean, players catching with their hands, and man did they block like crazy. Best position group on the field and it was not because of sheer talent.

TE (C) - I have no idea what the TE motion behind the QB and then back to the same spot does, the defense did not react to it at all. They did not provide an extra push in the run game, nor did they add too much in pass pro, did catch one TD. Foster looked good, will be interesting to see how they progress with Carter back.

RB (D) - hate the committee approach. The substitution pattern was baffeling to me. When it seemed like a guy had some rhythm he was yanked.

O coordinator - (B+) - the offense looks like it can move the ball - can we score points and not stall in the red zone, yet to be determined. Need to turn Reilly loose to stretch the field. Hated the short yardage calls late in the game. Go big and thump it.

DLine (D) - all that talk about Collins and Valentine owning the offense in camp, was really our Oline is not good. They did ok on the run, no push on the pass.

LB (B+) almost an A for me. They made plays and were in position. With what he had to work with for game 1, a sold game.

S (D) Gerry played ok, I failed to understand playing 3 safeties (4 if you include Cockerell) in max pass defense. Both Williams, Gerry, and Cockrell on the field a lot. Just wasn't impressed.

CB (D) Putting guys on an island, that are not good enough to be on an island.

D Coordinator - Callahan 2.0 - brought my best friend in as d coordinator - I did recognize the simplicity of the defense, however, I think BYU did as well. We don't have the athletes for it to be too simple. The attacking scheme does not exist. The only pass rush will come from blitzing. Played way too soft in the secondary. Another form of bend but do not break.

Special teams coordinator (F) - blame the players if you want, but what a waste of a staff position, This would be a one year contract for me. No need to bring this guy back.

Saw some positives, hopefully we can build on them. Saw that we have talent gaps at key positions, which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. The coaches have a lot of work to do.

Last edited:
Say what you want about us being favored, BYU being a "mid-major", or whatever, their defense was huge, mean and #90 is an animal. They stacked the box big time and it is obvious the plan was to take away the run at all costs. People worried we abandoned the run for a "west coast offense" have to think about Langsdorf was taking what they gave us. Our linemen were outnumbered in the trenches and I think the staff did a decent job of calling around it.

Whoever said Kondolo had a bad game was wrong in my opinion. There was a sweep where he looked inside and a LB or safety blew by his outside and made the play on Wilbon from the back side. Kondolo was standing there lost with no one to block and was like "oh oh". But that was the only gaff I saw on him. The right side seemed to do a good job. The left side had issues. Utter got owned a few times on pass pro. Besides the usual false start and holding, Lewis' man blew by him untouched on the play Armstrong threw the sidearm intentional grounding late in the half. On a designed sweep by TA Lewis didn't get on the DT's outside to turn him in and blocked him right into the hole to blow up the play. Reeves had a lot of off snaps. The fumble was caused (in my opinion) by a low snap to the left, which was where Wilbon was coming from. TA was having trouble securing the ball, then Wilbon was right there. Hard to put the fumble on TA. The single most disturbing thing about this staff is not rotating the OL. Lewis should have sat a series after the false start and Thurston should have gotten a shot. Not to mention them playing all the snaps in the heat.

TA did not appear to "go back to bad habits" in the second quarter. He missed wide open receivers because he had people in his face. It appears an adjustment was made to keep the back in to block, which helped later in the game. He was throwing off his back foot again, but got the ball there most of the time.

Wilbon should start next week. I saw a time or two where a hole was there for a short time and Newby's hesitation caused the hole to collapse before he got through. Wilbon seemed to hit what was there faster.

Receivers did a good job and caught some balls that we dropped last year.

Not only should the hit on Sutton have been flagged, but it should have been reviewed and the corner ejected. It was an attempt to injure and he went in head first. I have seen players get ejected for a lot less. There was an illegal formation with 5 in the backfield. I chalked that up to growing pains and Riley was jawing Langsdorf about it on the sideline. I think the hands to face was a blunder on the official. Maurice didn't touch the OL's face. The OL was shoving 55's head back the whole play. The ref called hands to face on the offense #55, then changed it to defense. I really think he screwed up. The late hit on Williams was a shove and a rookie mistake. Williams was jawing a lot and needs to ramp that down and play the game. Other than the hit on Sutton, I considered BYU to be tough, but not dirty as some have suggested.

I thought the LBs played pretty well. Young is a stud and Gifford held up his end. I disagree that Gifford didn't do well. It would be hard to ask more from 2/3 guys playing their first games.

Hard to get a read on the DL since BYU's OL was old, experienced and big. While there was no pass rush, Hill was mostly stopped from running ala Texas, so kudos to lane control. Gangwish could have had a couple sacks, but had bad angles. That happens with a QB like Hill. I guess I would give them a C or B-, noting great, nothing too bad.

We all saw what we saw with the secondary. I wonder if Kalu was not feeling well or nicked. He just seemed to be a step slow, or hesitant for some reason. Cockrell seemed a step slow too. BYU confused us some by their schemes of overloading an area and sending the receivers out by crossing each other and stuff like that. Hopefully we will get better with those kind of patterns when the secondary gets more comfortable playing together.

Brown's PATs looked OK, I think one hooked. If NU can't make crunch FGs, the staff needs to rethink who is kicking. Both attempts were from the hash, so Langsdorf could have done Brown a favor there, but still. I consider the second missed FG (due to failure to make the first down) to be the key to the game, not the Hail Mary.

I'm not ready to throw Banker under the bus yet. A senior QB and huge receivers with years in their system passed us silly, but the defense held BYU enough to win.

Looking at it a couple days later with less emotion there were some good intangibles. It was mind-blowing nearing the half and end of game with timeouts left (which may not have been a good thing at the end of the game). It was nice seeing the D get set and go. The huddle seemed to work well. The general "feel" seemed to be that of organized football without panic when we were down. I think Langsdorf needs to go back to the box. Riley looked shell-shocked after the game. Welcome to Nebraska, the highs are higher, but the lows are lower.

All in all, after watching the tape with my slo-mo clicker, I feel better. Taking care of business handily next week and a decent win at Miami will get us back on track.

Reactions: P0werofRed
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT