ADVERTISEMENT

Portal

to the completion percentage crowd:

Jarrett Guarantano has the same career completion percentage at Tennessee as Peyton Manning did.

the stat means nothing. so very fitting it's what AM 'excelled at' last season.

Pros:
-I don't think it's possible to have a quicker release.
-Best spiral I've seen since Chris Leak.
-CANNON of an arm!

Cons:
-Looks less athletic than Tanner Lee.

I have a hard time believing someone who started games for LSU as a Freshman would leave to be a back up at NU.

To be fair, Bo Pelini was running the unit on the other side of the ball, and they gave up more than 34ppg avg. in his starts. Maybe Trevor Lawrence overcomes that, but I doubt it.

To be fair LSU ONLY played with like 66 scholarship players most of the year due to Covid and opt-outs for the NFL. Also they had over 30 players at one time due to covid last summer.

That being said they still went .500 including beating Florida last reg season game on their home field when FLA still had a chance for a national title.

Meanwhile we didn't have a covid hit, practiced and trained almost whole year, had ALL our scholarship players and can barely win 40% of our games......

Pros:
-I don't think it's possible to have a quicker release.
-Best spiral I've seen since Chris Leak.
-CANNON of an arm!

I have a hard time believing someone who started games for LSU as a Freshman would leave to be a back up at NU.

I agree......let's make him the STARTER then!

to the completion percentage crowd:

Jarrett Guarantano has the same career completion percentage at Tennessee as Peyton Manning did.

the stat means nothing. so very fitting it's what AM 'excelled at' last season.

if AM is a bad as some say, and he very well may be, then if he continues to start going into year 4 it can only be viewed as a massive failure by the staff

one could argue that coming out of the spring game and heading into year 4 - Neb is in the worst possible position when it comes to having a viable option to replace AM of any year since that coach from UCF took over the program

the failure to secure any reasonable alternative options to challenge AM going into year 4 at the most important position in any team sport is a shining tribute of just how underprepared and ill-equipped this head coach and staff from UCF is to lead a power 5 program

Last edited:
To be fair LSU ONLY played with like 66 scholarship players most of the year due to Covid and opt-outs for the NFL. Also they had over 30 players at one time due to covid last summer.
Agreed. Supports the point I made.

That being said they still went .500 including beating Florida last reg season game on their home field when FLA still had a chance for a national title.
Yes, they sucked. Agreed.

Meanwhile we didn't have a covid hit, practiced and trained almost whole year, had ALL our scholarship players and can barely win 40% of our games......
Has nothing to do with TJ Finley. However, it does support the argument that we need to be looking for a portal QB. No idea if that's Finley or not.

Reactions: Mack In Motion
We need a starter. Not a backup. Our current #1 did a great job in the backup role last season.

But it doesn't look like Finley had much interest in leaving the south during his recruitment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mack In Motion

To be fair, that is a lot of excuses for a QB and team.

And we still lost to a Minnesota team that was decimated with guys out... that one hurt the most in recent years for me....

Reactions: vs540husker
Would be a better backup option than we currently have. I'd certainly take him. It's highly unlikely we're going to get anyone better in the transfer market that will unseat Martinez.

Yes we want a cannon arm like that.
Yes, I’d be fine spending 6-7 schollys on QBs until we find a real gamer.
Competition at the QB position is important when we’re losing each year.

Not saying we could get 6-7 QBs worth anything on our roster, but we cannot continue down the path of poor QB play.

@John_J_Rambo Give me yards and TDs over completion % any day.

if AM is a bad as some say, and he very well may be, then if he continues to start going into year 4 it can only be viewed as a massive failure by the staff

one could argue that coming out of the spring game and heading into year 4 - Neb is in the worst possible position when it comes to having a viable option to replace AM of any year since that coach from UCF took over the program

the failure to secure any reasonable alternative options to challenge AM going into year 4 at the most important position in any team sport is a shining tribute of just how underprepared and ill-equipped this head coach and staff from UCF is to lead a power 5 program
its hard to get a young kid to commit to a program that has a multi year starter. the great thing about martinez was he had 4/5 years to start and improve. the bad thing is that scares away QB recruits. You might think he's bad but i think he's actually dangerous as hell when healthy

Reactions: Can o' corn
I never had a chance to see Peanut or Nance play but I know they both are plenty fast based on their track careers. I wonder if either of them could have made it playing Corner for Fisher.

Yet somehow all 3 kids he recruited at UCF could be starters for their respective programs come this fall: Milton (@FSU), Vedral (@Rutgers), and Mack (@Old Dominion).

Dillon Gabriel is at UCF because of Milton (I don't think it mattered who the coach was going to be), so you might say he's a Frost recruit as well.

It's a real head-scratcher that Frost can't find QB talent at Nebraska because the QBs all seemed to play well for him @UCF (especially with the transfer portal). Willie Taggart @FSU went two entire recruiting classes without even getting a QB to commit to that program. Now with Norvell there he has to turn QBs away. Some people have the knack to find talent, some develop talent, and others find and develop talent. Maybe Frost just stumbled into talent @UCF and the stars aligned (The 2017 team did put 7 grads on NFL 52-man rosters...not practice squads but rosters...team was loaded). Wouldn't be the first time in human history

Reactions: dinglefritz
How would you go about recruiting an above average, experienced QB to NU for this season?

What's in it for the portal QB?

Why would we be a better fit than all the other QB rooms in the country?

What portal QB would you want to start over Adrian?

I ask these questions because I've felt finding another option to back up Adrian or take his job is unrealistic. There seem to be enough posters who believe it is realistic though so I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Reactions: dinglefritz
How would you go about recruiting an above average, experienced QB to NU for this season?

I ask these questions because I've felt finding another option to back up Adrian or take his job is unrealistic. There seem to be enough posters who believe it is realistic though so I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Playing anybody else (transfer, Masker, anybody) would be addition by subtraction.

Frosts best B1G win came last year starting a kid many say has no business even taking snaps, much less looking as good or better (on paper) than AM.

Reactions: NikkiSixx

if going into year 4 you have no other viable options already in the program and you have subsequently allowed a very limited QB to be so firmly entrenched that no competent portal QB would touch the program then one has failed miserably as a coaching staff

I don't expect to find a portal QB for the above reasons - the staff have had years to recruit someone who could play this year other than AM and failed

given the huge question mark Neb has in a 4th year starting QB - the fact that in year 4 the current state of viable options to replace or give him any competition is the worst it has ever been going into a season shows just how ill equipped this staff from central florida is to lead a program

Last edited:
Reactions: Husker_AMG63
It continues to blow my mind that Haarberg was the only QB they took last year after having Gebbia leave and then having Vedral leave. They have this love of signing projects and athletes who need work on their accuracy at the QB position and it's gonna cost them their jobs if they don't capture the magic again with HH or Smothers.

It's a failure never to get good competition in for your starting QB....I don't care how good he is. Iron sharpens IRON and when you are scared that getting a quality transfer QB over 4 years, starting with Burrow, says what type of coach you are and how it's more about players feelings than TALENT!

Oklahoma, Alabama, Miami, Michigan, Georgia, Auburn, FSU, Washington, Missouri, hell even Northwester and Illinois are just some of the programs who have utilized transfer QB's for competition and starting QB's.
You can't be scared, especially when your QB aint done sh!t.......

Reactions: NikkiSixx
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT