ADVERTISEMENT

Portal QB's

I don't think it would hurt to bring a kid in who has not been coached by this staff and see what he does... Could answer some questions about the staff.
I thought a talented QB transfer with some playing experience and 3 years of eligibility left might be a good idea BEFORE Luke left. I just don't think some people understand the jump in competition level it is for MOST QBs from high school to college. Luke really hadn't played enough to make too many sweeping judgements in his ability IMO but a transfer who has proven he can manage the speed of the game wouldn't hurt to have in the QB room.

That said, I don't think you bring a guy in just to make sure you have enough bodies. That's what walk ons are for. IF you can't find the right guy this cycle then you damned sure have to find a stud for the next cycle. This new transfer rule is a nightmare for coaches.

Reactions: HominidHusker
I’ve posted about Ruder before. I’d be shocked if he’d warrant a ‘ship to Nebraska unless he had a glowing endorsement from Coach Brown. Ruder has also been in the Portal for awhile, it’s as though he’s waiting for a spot at certain school to open up. Interesting.
GBR!
Maybe he wants to walk on for a semester..Winking

Why do you keep saying that? He benched him for Luke and he is terrible.
same reason you keep saying that.

I'm over it. Luke is terrible, yet posted numbers that were 1% worse than 3-year starter AM.

I cannot post enough about how much martinez sucks, is not a leader, is not capable of leading us to a winning season.

we go round and round on this stupid topic over and over. aDRIAN mARTINEZ SUCKS AND IS THE NUMBER ONE REASON WE ARE WHERE WE ARE.

hope one day you get the help you need for the worst case of Stockholm Syndrome ever recorded.

I would rather see us direct snap it to an offensive lineman than martinez touch the ball ever again.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I thought a talented QB transfer with some playing experience and 3 years of eligibility left might be a good idea BEFORE Luke left. I just don't think some people understand the jump in competition level it is for MOST QBs from high school to college. Luke really hadn't played enough to make too many sweeping judgements in his ability IMO but a transfer who has proven he can manage the speed of the game wouldn't hurt to have in the QB room.

That said, I don't think you bring a guy in just to make sure you have enough bodies. That's what walk ons are for. IF you can't find the right guy this cycle then you damned sure have to find a stud for the next cycle. This new transfer rule is a nightmare for coaches.
this is all just baloney.. freshman have come in and won national championships on good teams, though we are not a good team right now.

if a guy is this or that or meets some criteria blah blah blah.. it's all bs.

get someone in here who has some of that it factor to win some GD football games.

I'm still kinda bummed we didn't recruit Cole Payton.
seriously.

what on earth would we do with a capable QB, though?

and who in their right mind would choose to play for this shitty program over NDSU?

same reason you keep saying that.

I'm over it. Luke is terrible, yet posted numbers that were 1% worse than 3-year starter AM.

I cannot post enough about how much martinez sucks, is not a leader, is not capable of leading us to a winning season.

we go round and round on this stupid topic over and over. aDRIAN mARTINEZ SUCKS AND IS THE NUMBER ONE REASON WE ARE WHERE WE ARE.

hope one day you get the help you need for the worst case of Stockholm Syndrome ever recorded.

I have never disagreed that AM is not good. I am disagreeing that Frost will not bench him, if we have someone better, as he already did for someone much worse. Not 1% worse, MUCH worse in every statistic. Why would he not do it again, if we actually have someone good?

this is all just baloney.. freshman have come in and won national championships on good teams, though we are not a good team right now.

if a guy is this or that or meets some criteria blah blah blah.. it's all bs.

get someone in here who has some of that it factor to win some GD football games.
What freshmen have come in and won national championships other than one guy for Clemson? Trevor Lawrence isn't in the portal chief nor is there ANYBODY in the portal who is remotely half the QB he is. Time to relax. We can't scream our way in to a better QB via the portal. We're likely going to have to recruit one in this next class unless somebody drops in our laps. That usually doesn't happen to teams with a 3 year returning starter.

I have never disagreed that AM is not good. I am disagreeing that Frost will not bench him, if we have someone better, as he already did for someone much worse. Not 1% worse, MUCH worse in every statistic. Why would he not do it again, if we actually have someone good?
because frost is emotionally compromised.. he knows what it is like to be told he is not a QB, and then got to win a championship, and then had to become a safety...

this whole thing with guys who are not QB's is built into Frost at the deepest level.

I think there is a desperate need for new blood in the QB locker room, a fresh set of eyes to look through. I think there is a severe case of tunnel vision.

What freshmen have come in and won national championships other than one guy for Clemson? Trevor Lawrence isn't in the portal chief nor is there ANYBODY in the portal who is remotely half the QB he is. Time to relax. We can't scream our way in to a better QB via the portal. We're likely going to have to recruit one in this next class unless somebody drops in our laps. That usually doesn't happen to teams with a 3 year returning starter.
dude, you come up with so many levels of criteria, it's amazing.. the guy has to have 3 years of this or that or some other thing in order to fit. Frost has to win Now.

the whole point about Freshmen who have come in and won national championships is to show that you don't have to build this or that or some other crooked timing thing like you are thinking. You way over think this stuff. Get in a guy to do it right now.

He doesn't have to win a national championship either.. I'm just asking Frost to go get someone who can win some football games. Regardless of who you got on the roster.

Frost has this biggest chip on his shoulder because he was an EX QB, who was told he was not a QB, and by god he is going to prove it, even if he destroys the program he loves in doing so.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
I don't care anymore

huskers are dead and frost is holding the murder weapon (AM)

I've already posted the stats. the difference is marginal. <1 yard/attempt, <1 yard/carry, something like 7 or 8 % completion percentage difference.

AM threw a TD pass in garbage time vs Ill, 2 of Luke's INTs came in relief of AM.

on paper, you wouldn't know one is a 3-year starter and the other isn't fit to play QB.

based on everything we've seen to date, frost is unwilling to give anyone else any rope while at the same time hanging himself and all of us with AM.

it blows and isn't changing this year. hopefully AM wants to start his career following yet another putrid season.

Would it be best for Nebraska to wait until the FCS and JUCO seasons happen to look at brining in another qb if they decide to? That gives you spring to see what you have in Smothers as a backup and if you feel comfortable with him as the main guy behind Martinez or if you'd need someone else.

because frost is emotionally compromised.. he knows what it is like to be told he is not a QB, and then got to win a championship, and then had to become a safety...

this whole thing with guys who are not QB's is built into Frost at the deepest level.

He’s aleready benched him once and that was without a good second option. No reason at all to think he won’t do it again.

I don't care anymore

huskers are dead and frost is holding the murder weapon (AM)

I've already posted the stats. the difference is marginal. <1 yard/attempt, <1 yard/carry, something like 7 or 8 % completion percentage difference.

AM threw a TD pass in garbage time vs Ill, 2 of Luke's INTs came in relief of AM.

on paper, you wouldn't know one is a 3-year starter and the other isn't fit to play QB.

based on everything we've seen to date, frost is unwilling to give anyone else any rope while at the same time hanging himself and all of us with AM.

it blows and isn't changing this year. hopefully AM wants to start his career following yet another putrid season.

Imagine thinking these two stat lines are equal:

CMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGRTG

If a coach will bench a QB for the second guy, he won’t take much for him to do it again.

Imagine thinking these two stat lines are equal:

If a coach will bench a QB for the second guy, he won’t take much for him to do it again.
like I said, the difference here is marginal. "<1 yard/attempt, <1 yard/carry, something like 7 or 8 % completion percentage difference." both committed 8 turnovers in 5 games.

one is a 3-year former phenom starter, the other was in his first games and literally will never play QB again.

thank you for proving my point. this is so f'ing sad.

like I said, the difference here is marginal. "<1 yard/attempt, <1 yard/carry, something like 7 or 8 % completion percentage difference." both committed 8 turnovers in 5 games.

one is a 3-year former phenom starter, the other was in his first games and literally will never play QB again.

thank you for proving my point. this is so f'ing sad.

You are so lost on this it’s crazy. Those stat lines are no where near equal and LM turned the ball over at twice the clip AM did.

I wish we had a better option than AM and Frost has shown he will bench AM. But let’s stop pretending LM was anything other than an athlete pretending to be a QB.

But since you will never let it go, I will just ignore you when you keep claiming they are the same (despite the evidence) and Frost won’t bench AM (despite the fact he already has).

You are so lost on this it’s crazy. Those stat lines are no where near equal and LM turned the ball over at twice the clip AM did.

I wish we had a better option than AM and Frost has shown he will bench AM. But let’s stop pretending LM was anything other than an athlete pretending to be a QB.

But since you will never let it go, I will just ignore you when you keep claiming they are the same (despite the evidence) and Frost won’t bench AM (despite the fact he already has).
what about 'marginally different' do you constantly comprehend as being 'equal'?

I said they're marginally different (they are). 3-year starter AM marginally outperformed a project who'd played 1 year of high school quarterback and will never take another snap in the B1G.

whoop-de-f*cking-do

what about 'marginally different' do you constantly comprehend as being 'equal'?

I said they're marginally different (they are). 3-year starter AM marginally outperformed a project who'd played 1 year of high school quarterback and will never take another snap in the B1G.

whoop-de-f*cking-do
If it weren't for a 40 yard jet sweep to Zavier Betts that counted as a pass, McCaffrey would've had a 0:6 TD to INT ratio, while completing 8% fewer passes and turning the ball at a significantly higher rate. Tell me how that is "marginally different". You got proven wrong and won't admit it lol.

seriously.

what on earth would we do with a capable QB, though?

and who in their right mind would choose to play for this shitty program over NDSU?
I realize you're just wallowing in your own pity and misery, but literally ANYONE in their right mind would rather play for Nebraska than NDSU. This is not up for debate, it's fact.

I realize you're just wallowing in your own pity and misery, but literally ANYONE in their right mind would rather play for Nebraska than NDSU. This is not up for debate, it's fact.
not Payton, who was offered by frost the day after winning the state title and told him, simply, no thanks

NDSU has produced 3 NFL quarterbacks (2 top 5-10 picks) since we've been to a bowl game. one was from Omaha.

get real.

If it weren't for a 40 yard jet sweep to Zavier Betts that counted as a pass, McCaffrey would've had a 0:6 TD to INT ratio, while completing 8% fewer passes and turning the ball at a significantly higher rate. Tell me how that is "marginally different". You got proven wrong and won't admit it lol.
quick note:

when the word 'if' is necessary to add in order to prove a point, it's probably a bad point.

hope this helps in future posts!

not Payton, who was offered by frost the day after winning the state title and told him, simply, no thanks

NDSU has produced 3 NFL quarterbacks (2 top 5-10 picks) since we've been to a bowl game. one was from Omaha.

get real.
I realize there's no arguing with you since you went full banana a few months ago, so whatever. No one wants to play FCS football if they have a P5 offer. I don't give a shit what you are mumbling about. Which QB from Omaha was a top 5-10 pick?

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I realize there's no arguing with you since you went full banana a few months ago, so whatever. No one wants to play FCS football if they have a P5 offer. I don't give a shit what you are mumbling about. Which QB from Omaha was a top 5-10 pick?
Easton stick (Creighton prep) was drafted and is still in the league. The top 5 pick was Wentz, their qb this year will be top 10.

How can you say nobody would want to play for NDSU over NU when literally that’s exactly what Payton is choosing to do??

Reactions: WHCSC
Easton stick (Creighton prep) was drafted and is still in the league. The top 5 pick was Wentz, their qb this year will be top 10.

How can you say nobody would want to play for NDSU over NU when literally that’s exactly what Payton is choosing to do??
Nebraska never offered him, by the time they reached out to him his feeling were already hurt because literally zero p5 teams offered him. Had Nebraska offered it wouldn’t have been as a QB. Even his HS coach thinks he’s an NFL tight end or a linebacker. If Nebraska had offered before he swore a blood oath to NDSU because they believed in him, he’d be headed to Nebraska. Because no one would rather go FCS than P5. He’s not at NDSU because he had an apples to apples choice between Nebraska and NDSU and chose FCS.

Last edited:
The key word in your post is PLAY. A kid can go to NDSU and likely start versus walking on at NU, paying your own way, and never getting in a damned game. IF we're going to get QBs to walk on we need to start finding ways to get them in the game whether it's as a holder on field goals and extra points as an option for a trick play or something.

There are a lot of times a person could cherry pick plays for Martinez as well. For being a 3 year starter, he sure doesn't have a lot of wins under his belt. Most Losing QB in Nebraska history. Not a competitive type of person either. You people that somehow think he is good for this program are so upside down, it's not even funny.

As I recall, Stick was very skinny and considered a pro style QB. As it turned out at NDSU he used his feet very well in the run game and showed he was strong enough to take some hits. We often times for whatever reason downgrade area talent in favor of the shiniest new toy coming out of far flung places. I've heard the same thing from guys who played at other colleges where guys would get recruited out of distant cities and then be crowned a starter over other area guys who they thought were better players. It isn't unique to Nebraska.

Nebraska never offered him, by the time they reached out to him his feeling were already hurt because literally zero p5 teams offered him. Had Nebraska offered it wouldn’t have been as a QB. Even his HS coach thinks he’s an NFL tight end or a linebacker. If Nebraska had offered before he swore a blood oath to NDSU because they believed in him, he’d be headed to Nebraska. Because no one would rather go FCS than P5. He’s not at NDSU because he had an apples to apples choice between Nebraska and NDSU and chose FCS.
TE or linebacker? IF I recall correctly, he was pretty skinny coming out of high school. He's 6' 210lbs now.

Too bad... But he went to NDST for a reason and one of those was to play QB on a winning football program..

Payton looked like the better QB than Haarberg most of the year , but I had opportunity to watch Payton play high school games on TV this fall..

He would have been a good QB running this offense looking forward how successful he will do in Fargo..

Too bad... But he went to NDST for a reason and one of those was to play QB on a winning football program..

Payton looked like the better QB than Haarberg most of the year , but I had opportunity to watch Payton play high school games on TV this fall..

He would have been a good QB running this offense looking forward how successful he will do in Fargo..
Unfortunately I think Frost and Verdusco get a little too enamored with measurables like 40 times when they're looking at QBs. Yes an athletic QB makes it tough on a defense but man success playing the position against a higher level of high school competition matters IMO regardless of how tall or how fast you are.

I think the problem for Payton was that we were in on a bigger name national recruit and by the time he eliminated us Payton had already decided on NDSU.

Last edited:
According to an article on The Athletic he's 6'3" 215. I dunno.
Wiki says 6'1" 217lbs I guess now. I think coming out of high school he was listed at 6' 180 lbs. In other words he was my size and there's no way in hell I was going to get big enough to play TE or linebacker. I think he could have played WR for sure with his quickness. Good player. QB recruiting is a crap shoot.

I totally agree with this. Rambo, who is busy crapping on everything Nebraska as his main hobby, is arguing stridently that no player in his right mind would choose to play for Nebraska over NDSU. Which, if you follow that logic, means that every guy who just signed with us would RATHER play for NDSU if only they'd gotten an offer from the Bison. And... that's just dumb. But hey, if I'm gonna spend time debunking every dumb thing Rambo says I'll have to quit my job. So I'll move on.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I totally agree with this. Rambo, who is busy crapping on everything Nebraska as his main hobby, is arguing stridently that no player in his right mind would choose to play for Nebraska over NDSU. Which, if you follow that logic, means that every guy who just signed with us would RATHER play for NDSU if only they'd gotten an offer from the Bison. And... that's just dumb. But hey, if I'm gonna spend time debunking every dumb thing Rambo says I'll have to quit my job. So I'll move on.
please continue to believe what you want

I'll take it from his coach and father, each who were part of the phone call the day after the title game when he told frost thanks but no thanks on the scholarship

thanks for reading. always nice to have a fan. even if you twist my words into something they're not and never have been.

you're the one who said nobody in their right mind would pick NDSU over NU. I simply stated the fact Payton did just that. sorry it made you cry into your cheerios.

also NDSU would be favored in Lincoln. and they'd cover.

please continue to believe what you want

I'll take it from his coach and father, each who were part of the phone call the day after the title game when he told frost thanks but no thanks on the scholarship

thanks for reading. always nice to have a fan. even if you twist my words into something they're not and never have been.

you're the one who said nobody in their right mind would pick NDSU over NU. I simply stated the fact Payton did just that. sorry it made you cry into your cheerios.

also NDSU would be favored in Lincoln. and they'd cover.
The attention and offer came too late. He clearly was a back up plan for NU. Time will tell if that was the right thing or not. There is no doubt that an offer from NU doesn't hold the same value that it did 20 years ago.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
ADVERTISEMENT