ADVERTISEMENT

Portal QB's

headcard

Nebraska Legend
Feb 2, 2005
Since we are all thinking it and we even have a thread on the great Tathan Martell, we might as well have a transfer portal QB thread. I will start with this kid.

Was a Duel Threat with solid numbers at MTSU. His highlights remind me a lot of Mckenzie Milton.

Since we are all thinking it and we even have a thread on the great Tathan Martell, we might as well have a transfer portal QB thread. I will start with this kid.

Was a Duel Threat with solid numbers at MTSU. His highlights remind me a lot of Mckenzie Milton.

I liked what I saw here.. a determined guy out there making things happen and fighting for it.

Jace Ruder is a guy from Norton Kansas who I believe Nebraska tried to recruit out of H.S. He is a dual threat. Played for UNC, not a lot of experience as he has battle injuries in the past.

Maybe they get a Juco Qb. I think the jucos are playing this spring.

Last edited:
O'Hara is a hard no.
Robison would be a maybe.
Tathan is a never.
No clue on Ruder.
I’ve posted about Ruder before. I’d be shocked if he’d warrant a ‘ship to Nebraska unless he had a glowing endorsement from Coach Brown. Ruder has also been in the Portal for awhile, it’s as though he’s waiting for a spot at certain school to open up. Interesting.
GBR!

Reactions: dinglefritz
I think we should be. Only one QB on the roster that has taken a live snap in college and he has missed games injured every season.
They might be very confident in Smothers and fine with Masker as 3#. We've got another walk on QB who has been in the program for a couple of years. Brayden Miller will be in his 3rd year in the program and made the travel roster to Rutgers. He was an honorable mention all-state QB for Kearney. We've got some options without grasping at straws from the portal. My guess is we might be better off with a kid who has worked in the system for over 2 years than to go out and take a scholarship guy just to provide depth. Smothers needs to be good and we need to land a stud this next cycle.

The fact that O'Hara's own highlight video doesn't include a single clip of him completing a pass from the pocket seems a little concerning to me.

They might be very confident in Smothers and fine with Masker as 3#. We've got another walk on QB who has been in the program for a couple of years. Brayden Miller will be in his 3rd year in the program and made the travel roster to Rutgers. He was an honorable mention all-state QB for Kearney. We've got some options without grasping at straws from the portal. My guess is we might be better off with a kid who has worked in the system for over 2 years than to go out and take a scholarship guy just to provide depth. Smothers needs to be good and we need to land a stud this next cycle.
All these Kearney QBs are awesome, but isn't there someone in Columbus, Schuyler or North Platte?

From the article on Robison:

"FAU did not provide a reason for Robison's departure when reached for comment.

Robison has been in trouble several times in his career. He was dismissed from Oklahoma during his freshman year for a violation of team rules. That dismissal came a few months after he was arrested for public intoxication. FAU held Robison out of the entirety of spring football in 2019, months after he was investigated sexual battery probe, according to the Palm Beach Post. Robison was never charged in that case."

Gets kicked out of Oklahoma then leaves FAU without giving a reason. In trouble with the law several times. Sounds exactly like the kind of guy you want to bring in to potentially lead your program.

I think the best fit will be someone who was part of the 2019 recruiting class, meaning someone with four or five years of eligibility left, but someone also who may have seen the field the past year or two — not a direct threat to take over Martinez's spot immediately, but also someone slightly more seasoned than Smothers for when Martinez takes his first hit to whichever shoulder will be injured this year.

Reactions: dinglefritz

Robison has been in trouble several times in his career. He was dismissed from Oklahoma during his freshman year for a violation of team rules. That dismissal came a few months after he was arrested for public intoxication. FAU held Robison out of the entirety of spring football in 2019, months after he was investigated sexual battery probe, according to the Palm Beach Post. Robison was never charged in that case."

Gets kicked out of Oklahoma then leaves FAU without giving a reason. In trouble with the law several times. Sounds exactly like the kind of guy you want to bring in to potentially lead your program.
yeah. I think I'm fine with Masker and Miller backing up Adrian and Smothers for now. Those kids know the offense and both I believe are better passers than Luke. Was Haarberg going to be in Lincoln for spring practice?

Reactions: WHCSC

Yep, pass on him. Zebras don't change their stripes.

yeah. I think I'm fine with Masker and Miller backing up Adrian and Smothers for now. Those kids know the offense and both I believe are better passers than Luke. Was Haarberg going to be in Lincoln for spring practice?
Have you ever seen Masker or Miller even throw? I'm betting you haven't, so how would you know?

Frost will start martinez at 60%

I’ll be stunned if we get another qb

I’ll be stunned if we win more than 4 next year

And the question goes right back at you.Have you ever seen Smothers throw since stepping foot in Lincoln?

And yes Haaberg is expected to participate in spring football..
Not since he stepped foot here in Lincoln, but I'm not the one making blind statements about our QB room like Fritz is. He's literally pulling that crap out of thin air.

I like that one kid from Millard North. Couch, was it? Something like that.
yeah not exactly a walk on. Crouch only completed just over 51% of his passes at 7.4 yards per attempt for his career. His senior year was slightly better than that. Not exactly Joe Montana considering how defenses crowded the LOS to try to stop our run game.

Reactions: 9and4
Not since he stepped foot here in Lincoln, but I'm not the one making blind statements about our QB room like Fritz is. He's literally pulling that crap out of thin air.
What crap out of thin air? The only thing I've typed has been factual. Miller was an all-state honorable mention QB at a class A school. Miller in fact made the travel roster to Rutgers.

What crap out of thin air? The only thing I've typed has been factual. Miller was an all-state honorable mention QB at a class A school. Miller in fact made the travel roster to Rutgers.

I think I'm fine with Masker and Miller backing up Adrian and Smothers for now. Those kids know the offense and both I believe are better passers than Luke
How do you know those guys are better passers? How do you know that they know the offense? You're making assumptions, or just making stuff up.. We should be replacing a scholarship QB with another scholarship QB.. Nebraska is not going to get back to greatness with walk ons at QB.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
The fact that O'Hara's own highlight video doesn't include a single clip of him completing a pass from the pocket seems a little concerning to me.
Maybe, but he did throw for over 2,500 yards in 2019.

Last edited:
Would bringing in transfer than get Smothers thinking about transferring since it seems kids are so quick to jump to the portal if they don't play as soon as they feel they should? If they brought in a guy that could fill in if Martinez got hurt or really struggled I think is the best solution.

How do you know those guys are better passers? How do you know that they know the offense? You're making assumptions, or just making stuff up.. We should be replacing a scholarship QB with another scholarship QB.. Nebraska is not going to get back to greatness with walk ons at QB.
Don't be so stupid. I was talking about having a body who can run the offense if both Adrian and Smothers go down with an injury.

Don't be so stupid. I was talking about having a body who can run the offense if both Adrian and Smothers go down with an injury.
No, you do this kind of stuff all the time on this board.. you make up things as part of your justification. I'd be fine with your position if you didn't bs half of your reasoning along the way.

Reactions: CatColumbia
Here is another guy that is interesting to watch.
It looks like he may have went the Community College route though, not sure

Kennique Bonner-Steward

No, you do this kind of stuff all the time on this board.. you make up things as part of your justification. I'd be fine with your position if you didn't bs half of your reasoning along the way.
Do what stuff? What the F did I make up to justify what? You mean like talk about the QBs actually ON the F'n roster right now instead of speculating wildly about portal guys who were 3rd string or kicked off of their former teams? We have 2 highly recruited scholarship guys on the roster in Adrian and Smothers and another coming in Haarberg. Yes IF we could land a talented QB with experience it would be nice, but realistically I'm looking at WHO WE HAVE. IF you're an honorable mention all state QB in class A football in Nebraska you've at least got some ability.

Reactions: NUinnwks

I don't think it would hurt to bring a kid in who has not been coached by this staff and see what he does... Could answer some questions about the staff.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
ADVERTISEMENT