ADVERTISEMENT

Portal QB

pgainey

Redshirt Freshman
Oct 19, 2021
Assuming our current commit sticks we will have 3 scholarship QBs

there is quite a bit of divergence in the skill sets between Smothers and the other 2. Concerned about trying to run the offense we saw against Iowa that puts the QB at high risk knowing we don’t have a backup that can run it. The offense would have to change drastically

hopefully a portal guy will land somewhere between Smothers and the other 2 as far as run/throw skill set

there is quite a bit of divergence in the skill sets between Smothers and the other 2. Concerned about trying to run the offense we saw against Iowa that puts the QB at high risk knowing we don’t have a backup that can run it. The offense would have to change drastically

hopefully a portal guy will land somewhere between Smothers and the other 2 as far as run/throw skill set
With his knee injury, I'm pretty sure Torres isn't going to flip.

Well Rattler made it to UCLA, so there is that.. Gabriel is gone.. not much else out there that is available.

I'm not even sure Scott has offered anyone at the QB position in the portal.

Guessing it's going to be a Haarberg vs. Smothers competition.

Torres is so raw, I'm not sure he is even a consideration, if healthy..

I wonder if we will even have a QB coach to develop these guys?

Last edited:
Well Rattler made it to UCLA, so there is that.. Gabriel is gone.. not much else out there that is available.

I'm not even sure Scott has offered anyone at the QB position in the portal.

Guessing it's going to be a Haarberg vs. Smothers competition.

Torres is so raw, I'm not sure he is even a consideration, if healthy..

I wonder if we will even have a QB coach to develop these guys?
I will say I am still puzzled by the Torres offer. I just don't think that guy is that good. Watching his film as well as just knowing a few folks who have watched him live, I am not sold on that kid. We don't know what Frost is working on, but I hope he does have a plan at QB. I think Smothers and Haarburg could be good, but would like someone to come in and push competition.

I will say I am still puzzled by the Torres offer. I just don't think that guy is that good. Watching his film as well as just knowing a few folks who have watched him live, I am not sold on that kid. We don't know what Frost is working on, but I hope he does have a plan at QB. I think Smothers and Haarburg could be good, but would like someone to come in and push competition.
We are stuck with the QB whisper choices. It will take years to recover from his quick blinker theory

Our QB coach killed us …

The problem is that none of his QBs here are quick blinkers.
Smothers actually looked pretty good with his decisions other than trying to pull that handoff from Belt. He was pretty damned good in that 2 minute drill until that I guess you could say miscommunication on that option route to Falck. Smothers could run option. I wouldn't want him as a straight drop back QB with his arm limitations. Haarberg is a wild card. Nobody has seen enough of him to know what we have there. Very athletic for a guy his size and a strong arm. Masker will only be a junior in eligibility. I still think Masker is accurate enough, athletic enough and smart enough to win us some games with the right OC. I keep remembering Tom saying, "In hindsight, I should have started Gerry Gdowski a year earlier than I did". Masker when I've seen him has executed pretty well. I hope we aren't picking our QB by 40 time.

Last edited:
McNamara/McCarthy = Haarberg/Smothers

Or at least some combination in which Smothers plays the role of McCarthy and Haarberg or a transfer thrower plays the role of McNamara.

I don't think you'd see Smothers being run so often in the future if he's the #1 QB. I'd hope they would establish a stronger running game from our RBs -- which requires better OL play for sure -- and use the short passing game to greater benefit, i.e., backs, TEs, slot. Then use the QB option game as a change of pace and RPO and play action for deep balls as they did against Iowa. Maybe this isn't fair, but I'd look at Smothers more as a game manager than a boom or bust big play guy like AM.

McNamara/McCarthy = Haarberg/Smothers

Or at least some combination in which Smothers plays the role of McCarthy and Haarberg or a transfer thrower plays the role of McNamara.
Harbaugh has finally got his QB situation where he needed it. I said it before the season that this could be the year for them. I caught all kinds of sh## for posting that this fall. Michigan has always had the rest of the roster they just needed a QB.

We HAVE to find another QB whether it's through the portal or an overlooked high schooler. EVERY year there are unheralded kids who show up at lower tier teams and perform at an unexpectedly high level. We need to find a Joey Ganz.

I don't think you'd see Smothers being run so often in the future if he's the #1 QB. I'd hope they would establish a stronger running game from our RBs -- which requires better OL play for sure -- and use the short passing game to greater benefit, i.e., backs, TEs, slot. Then use the QB option game as a change of pace and RPO and play action for deep balls as they did against Iowa. Maybe this isn't fair, but I'd look at Smothers more as a game manager than a boom or bust big play guy like AM.
We really won't know what they'll do until that first game in Ireland. So much depends on the OC hire and then what Frost lets him do. Smothers' looked really good running speed option. I expect to see a fair does of that if he's our starter

Smothers can be good enough if we have a run game with the RB. For some reason Frost thought it was a good idea to have him run the ball 24x in his first ever start. Haarberg has potential with his size and is actually more mobile than people think. Better arm and size to throw darts and down field better.

Smothers can be good enough if we have a run game with the RB. For some reason Frost thought it was a good idea to have him run the ball 24x in his first ever start. Haarberg has potential with his size and is actually more mobile than people think. Better arm and size to throw darts and down field better.
He ran the ball 24X in large part because we ran a ton of outside options in the first half. They were taking the pitch back and daring Smothers to keep it. It's the way an option works. When they adjusted their defense in the second half Smothers didn't carry it nearly as many times I don't think. IF you don't like your QB running the ball you're probably a fan of the wrong team.

I thought the same thing, but I was looking at him as a dual qb. What I‘m hearing now is that they were trying to transition into an offense that utilizes a big pocket passing qb. Which makes sense for Torres and Harberg

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Oh I agree completely. I laughed out loud when I watched that kids film. He has some interesting scrambling ability, but every play was like an offensive breakdown, so you got to see him create something from nothing. But not sure you can build an offense around that. Def needs development.

I also think Haarberg has a high ceiling, but someone needs to be spending time with him working on reading defenses and other developmental things too.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Oh I agree completely. I laughed out loud when I watched that kids film. He has some interesting scrambling ability, but every play was like an offensive breakdown, so you got to see him create something from nothing. But not sure you can build an offense around that. Def needs development.

I also think Haarberg has a high ceiling, but someone needs to be spending time with him working on reading defenses and other developmental things too.
Well our coaches I'm pretty sure had him throw in person before they would let him commit. One thing about it, If his O line was that bad in high school having to play behind ours will be a piece of cake for him.

Reactions: huskerfan66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT