ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Who is the best basketball coach in the BIG?

Joseph Seattle

Defensive Coordinator
May 27, 2008
Help me figure out a little bit about perceptions from different fan bases. I will do the same on most popular free basketball thread for other BIG schools. With all due apologies, I will leave out Northwestern's and Minnesota's head coaches as they haven't coached yet. Also, if you know the busiest free site for any of the current BIG teams feel free to respond and let me know.

thanks for the responses, here are some league wide observations

I did a pseudo-scientific poll asking who the best basketball coach was in the BIG. I included 10 of the 12 (since NW and Min have new coaches I didn't include them). They were listed alphabetically. I just used free sites. Of course if I were trying to make this poll meaningful I would have to adjust for unrepresentive sample sizes from some teams, I got more responses from PU and Iowa fans for example than IU, MSU, UI etc so Painter and McCaffrey are going to be over-represented a little bit. McCaffrey had nice finishes in neutral places in general though while Painter did best on the IU and PU forums.

I would've loved to have left Izzo out, because I anticipated him winning most of the polls and finishing a close second in the ones he did not. That would've given much more valuable insights. I posted this on the free sites on rivals and scout boards. Only Penn State's scout site denied me access (talk about paranoid).

Here are the raw numbers with a total of 1180 votes cast...

Izzo 506
Ryan 180
Crean 108
McCaffrey 103
Matta 94
Belein 70
Painter 63
Groce 39
Chambers 10
Miles 7

Some interesting observations...

* Izzo finished first in every poll except the two Michigan polls, where he finished second, and Wisconsin and OSU where he finished close seconds. He was the clear winner with almost 50% of the votes and finished no worse than 2nd.

* The only polls with more than 20 voters that didn't have their coach 1st or 2nd were UI (3rd) and PU (close 4th) although IU fans voted Crean about the same percentage in his distant 2nd that those clubs voted in their own head coaches.

* IU and PU both had each other's coach much higher than other schools valued either one. Crean finished 2nd on the PU site voting with 25.22% which was his highest on any site with more than 20 votes. I'm sure part of that has to do with both rivals sites for the clubs having lots of their rivals' fans on the site, but it also could have something to do with getting a close look at what kind of clubs the coaches in question put together.

* I consider Ryan and Belein among the top 10 coaches in the country shocked at how low their totals (esp Belein) were away from their home sites.

* Matta has won several BIG championships so his low total was also a slight surprise to me, he narrowly beat out Izzo on his own site.

* McCaffrey's high total doesn't seem to be easily talked away other than Iowa and PU having higher samples, but McCaffrey got votes on every poll with more than 20 replies and you can't say that for Crean, Belein, Painter, etc.

Re: thanks for the responses, here are some league wide observations

My rankings have Izzo #1, although he hurts his teams in the latter part of the season by insisting on calling his set plays even though opponents know the plays as well as his players do. Ryan gets a lot out of his players and is #2. Belein is third followed by Matta. Crean belongs in the lower half.

Originally posted by Joseph Seattle:
Help me figure out a little bit about perceptions from different fan bases. I will do the same on most popular free basketball thread for other BIG schools. With all due apologies, I will leave out Northwestern's and Minnesota's head coaches as they haven't coached yet. Also, if you know the busiest free site for any of the current BIG teams feel free to respond and let me know.
A more interesting poll would be "who is the best basketball coach in the B1G (other than Tom Izzo)?"

Man, this is a real tough one. So many good coaches in the B1G, but I would have to go with Izzo.

ADVERTISEMENT