ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Spring Game Thoughts? 2018 Starters?

2018 Starting QB? Best RB? How many 2018 Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TwinsRRUs

Recruiting Coordinator
Oct 1, 2011
SW NE
After watching the spring game, what are your thoughts on who stood out? Is our defense going to be worth a damn? Can our offense consistently put up some points?

Are you ready to name a starting QB? RB?

Plenty of positives and negatives to take away from this one practice/scrimmage.

I must say that I have been overly hyped up about this coaching change and was thinking we come out and surprise everyone by getting 9 or 10 wins in year 1. After watching this scrimmage, I definitely need to pull back a little bit. Quite the work in progress, but there is some potential.

QB
I expected Vedral to come out lighting it up, even with all of the backup WRs and OL on the White roster. He did some nice things, but also made a few mistakes, especially that INT. Bunch impressed me early on, but then wasn't quite as impressive later on IMO. Gebbia was up and down.

I never quite latched onto the hype of Adrian Martinez coming in and playing as a true freshman, but if he can pass accurately and not turn the ball over, he could easily beat out the other QBs. His speed is impressive. He can be dynamic in this offense with his legs. For not playing a season since his junior year, he was impressive.

Overall, the QBs held onto the ball a lot longer than I expected them to today. Not sure if that was due to longer designed plays or whether they just couldn't make a quick decision where to go with the ball. Don't expect Vedral to come in and be the starter in 2019 though.

RB
Bell really impressed me at times today. He can be really good for us. Most of the backs had a good play or two and played well, but it seemed like there were quite a few runs under 2 yards today. I think this race is wide open still, which was mentioned by the coaches after a practice where they will play multiple backs, but Bell is probably at the top for now, IMO.

WR McQuitty impressed today, as did Lindsay. Definitely going to be fun to watch all of these quality WRs this fall and in the future.

Defense
Not sure about the defense yet. Lots of swarming early on. Big plays given up due to poor coverage or poor tackling. At times I thought the defense was only putting for 75% effort and trying to allow the offense to shine for the crowd, but I highly doubt that was the case. Maybe it was just all in my head, but they seemed very tentative at times in their tackling.

Daishon Neal made a lot of plays. I hope he can do it against other teams this fall. Barry made some good plays at LB. Breon Dixon made some good plays as well. He was everywhere today.

What say you?

Just way to dam early. It’s definitely a Martinez vs Gebbia deal in my opinion. They both looked good (Gebbia could have gone for almost 200 yards throwIng if not for that Penalty). Personally I still hope Gebbia wins it out so Martinez can red shirt and get that shoulder 100%...this is really the best situation to have happen.

RB definitely appears for the moment to be a Wilbon and Bell as starters but we have 3-4 solid RBs. I really like Oz but I think he’s a bit to slow for Frosts liking and offense. And he maybe third or fourth RB on the chart.

WRs, I think we all know who our top 4 are. After that, we shall see.

I won’t even touch OL and the defense yet. Chin has his work cut out for him but one things for sure, our defense will be light years better this coming season. No way they can get worse and we have plenty of talent (with A LACK OF depth at CB lacking) on defense. They just needed good coaching

I think Gebbia can run enough to earn the start.. thi k he has the stronger arm and is more accurate.. i think mart is has the higher ceiling and fits the offense better but make no mistakes.. both will be able to be plugged in at any given notice.. i like it as well as bunch..
Rbs.. same deal.. i like what bell brings and wilbon and oz have big bodies to bang with... i also like bradley and mazour.. great depth and i could go with any of them.. fresh legs in this offense is going to be needed.
Wr.. great shape there tons of depth and cant wait to see jd and stan the man added.
Nobody talking about TEs?..i think they were terrific today.. some tall athletic group... they may be the most underrated group of them all.

Reactions: saluno22
Nobody talking about TEs?..i think they were terrific today.. some tall athletic group... they may be the most underrated group of them all.

Great point. Austin Allen, Kurt Rafdal, and Jack Stoll did some nice things today.

I do not recall seeing Matt Snyder get a catch, but I might have missed it as I wasn't paying attention at times. How did Snyder do today?

That was a very nice TD catch by Rafdal. Definitely some tall skinny TEs. Good for pass catching, probably not so much for blocking...

Reactions: yunginsNU2
Long-term this system is going to dominate. 2018, not sure we have all the pieces in place (6-8 wins to me). Questions i still have

1. No QB with experience although 3 of them look good.
2. OL - are they good enough with enough depth?
3. Secondary - seems razor thin
4. RB - do we have a breakaway guy? Bell looked the best to me so far.

Things I’m not worried about. Attitude, effort, focus, coaching.

Rewatched part of the game on Youtube and wow, the TEs are used quite a bit in the passing game.

Watching the read option play, the TE almost starts out in the slot and just sprints out to the sideline. This offense has many options. Going to be exciting once it gets going in a couple of years!

Reactions: yunginsNU2
Rewatched part of the game on Youtube and wow, the TEs are used quite a bit in the passing game.

Watching the read option play, the TE almost starts out in the slot and just sprints out to the sideline. This offense has many options. Going to be exciting once it gets going in a couple of years!
Yes and we missed on tge wheel route after setting up that quick flare... we will score on that throughout the year im sure of it.. not to mention frost said they were very vanilla.. i am excited as well at the options

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT