ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Spring Game Performance and Future Expectations

chicolby

All-American
May 3, 2012
Based on what you were able to see during the Spring Game, which of the following best describe your opinion of the Huskers moving forward to the fall season?

I don't know what you really can make out of one spring game, but the 15 practices was laying down the NEW foundation for this fall.

I think this team will be better with Riley and his staff than Pelini and his staff and that means record wise as well...

This years spring game didn't look any worse than any year under Bo. Which is impressive for putting in a whole new offense and defense, with a complete coaching overhaul.

Was checking out the spring game stats (http://www.huskers.com/pdf9/3422012.pdf) and noticed one thing that really needs some improvement, 3rd down conversions:

(combined stats)
Third-Down Conversions 6 of 25
Fourth-Down Conversions 0 of 5

They are going to have to fix that to have any sort of consistency.

Originally posted by GretnaShawn:
This years spring game didn't look any worse than any year under Bo. Which is impressive for putting in a whole new offense and defense, with a complete coaching overhaul.
I was going to say something similar. Every team in the nation is a work-in-progress during the spring. Lots of time before Game 1.

We lost our best player on both sides of the ball and we still need a QB. Yesterday didn't leave me thinking we were going to overcome all of that in one spring, but we were going to lose those same players regardless of who our HC was going to be and the QB's were also inherited from the previous staff, so I'm still happy. But lets be honest, was anyone blown away with our QB play? You know, the most important spot on the team? Hope somebody steps up and takes the spot.

It's spring with a new coaching staff. There will be many wrinkles that need to be ironed out. You had to expect this. There are still several months before the real bullets start flying, and it appears the players are in good hands. Give them some time to develop and settle in to together.

This offense will take time to find their way. This team will go as far as defense and special teams takes it.

Originally posted by litespeedhuskerfan:

We lost our best player on both sides of the ball and we still need a QB. Yesterday didn't leave me thinking we were going to overcome all of that in one spring, but we were going to lose those same players regardless of who our HC was going to be and the QB's were also inherited from the previous staff, so I'm still happy. But lets be honest, was anyone blown away with our QB play? You know, the most important spot on the team? Hope somebody steps up and takes the spot.
Did we see any QB that has 1st team all B1G potential>>>NO
Zach Darlington did play well under the system for a spring game, other than the kneeled Safty which won't happen in a real game Armstrong play won't kill us unless he goes back and forcing things and turns the ball over.

We could win the division with both QB winning the conference in December is another matter.

This post was edited on 4/12 12:01 PM by scarletred

I went with "neutral". It's a spring game, we get to see what the coaches want to see. It's not necessarily how a live game will be called, and the depth chart is not set yet (or at least released). I watched it on the BTN and didn't get to see the 4h quarter.

These are just my opinions:

QB play overall looked "okay". Darlington surprised me. Armstrong looked about what I expected. Bush looked nervous/indecisive. I don't remember seeing any designed QB run plays, options, or pitches, but I'm fine with that.

I would have thought the defense would have been more dominating. A lot looked like poor execution on the offensive side. So, I'm still concerned how we will look on defense come fall.

The running game looked pretty good to me, but was it good running or not so good defense. I can't get that South Dakota State game out of my head, where their RB got 200 yds on us. I don't see our run defense as being "fixed" yet.

All in all, it's a spring game with new schemes and some new players. We're months away from our first game and the coaching staff will be working on getting the team ready.

I really wish we could have seen the 1s against the 1s. I replayed and keyed on the O-Line the first quarter. They looked darn good, but it was against the 2nd D, so it is hard to tell. Assuming the defense is serviceable, which it should be with the talent there and coaches who can adjust in-game, a dominating O-Line can mitigate marginal QB play, which is what I saw from all the QBs besides Darlington. So I voted Neutral, just not enough info to go on right now.

The only thing I was really disappointed about yesterday was not having a second string punter. What are we going to do in season if Foltz gets hurt?

Quote of the day for me was Clete Blakeman, "This isn't a comment on the last staff, but these coaches are true professionals."

While I love that T-Mart gave his heart and soul for Nebraska, and like just about everything about TA, I will never cease to be amazed that the Pelini regime always seemed to struggle to have a couple D1-caliber QBs on the roster at the same time. I feel the new staff is a bit hamstrung by what they inherited at the position.

It's always tough to make assessments based on the Spring Game. Players are mixed and split so you don't see the units working as well, a unit. Players are held out due to injuries or risk of injuries. Play calling is conservative and special rules are often used to minimize risks of injuries.

With the exception of seeing younger inexperienced players perform in front of a crowd, there is little for the coaches to take out of these glorified scrimmages. It's more a way to promote the program and a reward for players after their Spring practices, and the fans who support the team. And that's the way the coaches treat it.

ADVERTISEMENT