ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Should Nebraska leave the B1G

Should Nebraska leave the B1G?

• Yes

Votes: 131 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 157 54.5%

• Total voters
The only thing I think that has merit is the potential to shaft Nebraska early on, that they easily could be 1-3 or even 0-4 after 4 games. We all saw how mightily Minnesota struggled at the beginning of the season last year, but because it was an easy starting schedule they found ways to win. If they lose early, it kills momentum and they don’t finish the way they do.

It would have been nice to ease into the season a bit and try to build something. But there’s no easing in at all. We are thrown into the deep end and told to sink or swim. That’s fine, we were gonna play them anyway... I just hope the team can withstand a bad start, should that happen...

I vote leave, but agree that this likely won't happen soon.

I do think there is a fit problem with us and the big ten.

As for the scheduling, I also agree it isn't a good look whining about it, but we are going to get shafted by the league, like it or not, whether intentional or not, it will always feel like that.

The ONLY way you get that monkey off your back, is to start kicking some ass, and do it often and sustained.

Then, we will have earned our place in the conference.

As of now, we haven't done that.

We have yet to hold up our end of the bargain.

So just win, and I don't mean by a few points..

Start stringing together ass whoopings, like it used to be, and that respect will come.

I vote leave, but agree that this likely won't happen soon.

I do think there is a fit problem with us and the big ten.

As for the scheduling, I also agree it isn't a good look whining about it, but we are going to get shafted by the league, like it or not, whether intentional or not, it will always feel like that.

The ONLY way you get that monkey off your back, is to start kicking some ass, and do it often and sustained.

Then, we will have earned our place in the conference.

As of now, we haven't done that.

We have yet to hold up our end of the bargain.

So just win, and I don't mean by a few points..

Start stringing together ass whoopings, like it used to be, and that respect will come.
You may be getting shafted this year, but I see that more as circumstantial rather than intentional. Unlucky.

However, you are in the West Division, far easier than the East. You are also the only blueblood and you recruit at a far better level than any other program in that division.

I don't know how much better the league can set you guys up for success than what they have already done: play in the West Division.

I could be mistaken, but thought that every team that has represented the west so far has had the best record against division opponents. So yes, rough schedule, but win against west opponents, you're probably in. Hope you stay in the B1G because one of three originally voted to play. That vote should pay dividends in recruiting.

We should stay. The college football structure will inevitably change again. So why not enjoy this....so long as we're playing!!

I say bring on the best teams. It can only show the team what they need to do if they lose. Losing is the best teacher of all. Just need to remember not to give up. Always keep getting back UP. I wish we could play all the best teams in the league every year.

It makes for more exciting games. Nebraska just needs to get better. But they need to play football to begin with. I say just getting to play is justice. It's what everyone deserves. Let those who want to sit out, sit out, NBD, and GBR!!!

No. In time, they can right the ship. If Nebraska did leave, it would not be a wise move with the revenue they'd be losing. Still too early to see if Scott Frost (homegrown) will be the answer, but in Microwaved society for success and the millions of dollars paid to get it done now vs 3-4 year cycle, it doesn't bode well at this moment.
BTW, another poster mentioned Barry Alvarez may have had a hand in the overall scheduling. I have no idea if that is remotely true or not. It does appear that the Big Ten brass was sending a message. With Ohio State and Penn State being the East games.

I don't think we leave the conference yet, but in the mean time, we should create a new BIG TEN SUCKS chant for any home games televised by the Big Ten Network, and DESMOND HOWARD SUCKS for any home games televised by ESPN. It's just unfortunate that with no fans, we can't start this until next season.

Ohio State fan here,

I'm glad you're in the conference.

Though it's been a rough go for you guys recently, I'm sure it won't continue this way indefinitely and I look forward to your return to greatness.

Your fan base is top-notch and you have one of the richest traditions in college football, a true blue-blood.

You also seem to be fans of physical football, not this "basketball on grass" crap that many teams have resorted to over the past few decades.

Thanks for your effort in getting the season scheduled.

You also seem to be fans of physical football, not this "basketball on grass" crap that many teams have resorted to over the past few decades.
49-20

Im not surprised you don't like Basketball on Grass, because Purdue has used it beat you more than UM has this century.

That being said, thank you for helping to get us football again. OSU leads this conference in every way possible.

Reactions: Talimite
No. We had a problem with the B12 and now we have a problem with the B1G. What is the common denominator?

Time to start a movement - NSM - Nebraska Still Matters. We need other programs to pull back and level the playing field for us.

If Alvarez played apart is scheduling he was the one or Warren that set us up with Ohio St..

My complaint is why did Wisconsin get Illinois instead of Michigan? would have liked Nebraska playing Wisconsin at home the first game.. Barry was afraid of that..

You think any AD or school is scared of scheduling Nebraska? Yikes.

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
The excuse being floated when it comes to scheduling is preserving"trophy" games is priority#1. There fore we get whatever is left over regardless of stacked or not.
I’m been saying that since we joined the big 10, except for Ohio st Michigan and Penn st all the other schools care more about winning their trophy games instead of looking at the bigger picture as in the rose Bowl or even the playoffs this conference is stuck in the 1950’s

Reactions: huskerfan66
We were brought in to help balance out the conference. The West should be ours. It wasn't for our tv sets. It was for our name and winning tradition. If we can get Coach Frost to get above .500 that would be helpful.

Reactions: Sinomatic
The point is again we already had the first game scheduled with Purdue... Put Ohio St and Penn St after that I don’t care.. There was no need to move the Purdue game except to stick it to us..
Personally IF we have to play OSU this year I'm glad it is the first game. More upsets happen the first game of the year than any other week.

When did Husker fans become such incredible whiners? It wasn't like that when I still lived in the state. Have you noticed the country is laughing at us now?

only if we could go independent, but apparently only notre dame can figure that one out,

When did Husker fans become such incredible whiners? It wasn't like that when I still lived in the state. Have you noticed the country is laughing at us now?
Who’s whining in this thread started by a Purdue fan? Maybe you meant to post this in the other thread where husker fans most definitely are whining...

49-20

Im not surprised you don't like Basketball on Grass, because Purdue has used it beat you more than UM has this century.

49-20 is nice. 55-24 is nicer.

We did it with old school smash mouth offense (our fullback scored a TD in that game. Fullbacks are still a thing at Iowa.) and physical defense. You all can keep that basketball on grass nonsense.

We did it with old school smash mouth offense (our fullback scored a TD in that game. Fullbacks are still a thing at Iowa.) and physical defense. You all can keep that basketball on grass nonsense.

Trolling Ohio State and Nebraska... what a goof. while you’re at it, you can keep that empty trophy case.

Trolling Ohio State and Nebraska... what a goof. while you’re at it, you can keep that empty trophy case.

Actually trolling Ohio State and Purdue. Wasn’t talking to you at all. Like Pat Forde said, “the Cornhuskers are just a piece of background furniture, part of the scenery.

57c5aeb8e109f.image.jpg

I wouldn't call it whining. When is calling a spade a spade whining

• Haha
Reactions: artguy68
The point is again we already had the first game scheduled with Purdue... Put Ohio St and Penn St after that I don’t care.. There was no need to move the Purdue game except to stick it to us..
How is moving Purdue to the end of the year "sticking it to us"? That's preferable. I'd much rather open with OSU than play them in week 2. Better chance for an anything-can-happen situation in the first game.

Also, we were scheduled to play Purdue three weeks ago. Completely different scenario now. They didn't "move" the Purdue game.

Outsider opinion

I feel like Nebraska in the BIG10 is a more natural fit than what the BIG12 is and is becoming. You get more money and way better academic prestige which in turn will start to bring in loads of money for research.

On the athletics side yes I can understand wanting some of the old rivalries back that are in your backyard. The problem with Nebraska is that in either conference you were going to be on the edge of the geographical footprint. Luckily for Nebraska with a low population state, you have always had to have the mindset of national recruiting- you just had to shift it from Texas to other areas.

I can’t believe threads like this get traction.

The people bitching about the Big Ten would bitch about any league NU is in.

NU’s problems are 100% NU problems. When NU stops losing to the also-ran programs in the conference, the bitching will reduce. When they start reaching the CCG, the bitching further reduces. When they finally win the league, people who spent the past years bitching will take credit for it.

I can’t believe threads like this get traction.

The people bitching about the Big Ten would bitch about any league NU is in.

NU’s problems are 100% NU problems. When NU stops losing to the also-ran programs in the conference, the bitching will reduce. When they start reaching the CCG, the bitching further reduces. When they finally win the league, people who spent the past years bitching will take credit for it.

This times a million!

My goodness, this team just needs to get more disciplined, more focused, and play some ball.

that’s what I want to know. It was even against a divisional opponent. Why not leave that game alone and the build the schedule after that game? Makes no sense. I’d gladly take the Purdue game first over OSU.
Purdue would probably prefer Nebraska in wk 1 vs drawing Iowa- just saying. A Big Ten schedule, is a Big 10 schedule with arguably only 1 gimmie (RU) for everyone not callEd OSU

Reactions: leodisflowers
Why would you leave a conference you obviously have influence in? 11 schools opposed you and you still won. R-E-S-P-E-C-T, you wanted it, you got it.

Congrats on the win, it was impressive.

I believe it brought your record against Ohio State to 15-47-3

Congrats on the win, it was impressive.

I believe it brought your record against Ohio State to 15-47-3
The Iowa-Nebraska pissing contests are tiring to this life long Husker fan that graduated from the university of Iowa. That said from an Iowa perspective it beats 1-7. Also from an Iowa perspective, the realignment made the mostly annual games with OSU and Michigan sad casualties.
I think opening w/OSU is an awesome opportunity for the Big Red....reminds me of the mid 70s when IM Hipp was introduced to the world against Bear Bryant’s Alabama. Of course we were ranked, but significant underdogs none-the-less

Reactions: hexumhawk
ADVERTISEMENT