ADVERTISEMENT

Podcast Interview w/ Deric Manrique of the '05 Nebraska CWS team

Lamoni

Dec 2, 2011
One of the podcasts I subscribe to had Deric Manrique on this week and they talked a lot about the 2005 Husker baseball team. I don't remember him on the team, apparently he redshirted, but he gives some great insight into Alex Gordon and Joba Chamberlain. He talks about Gordon's work ethic in particular and how he would be the first guy to weights and BP everyday. He also tells a story about going to a strip club with Joba the very first time they hung out and how no one had any idea of how good he was going to be when he first showed up. The whole podcast reminded me of how great that team was:

- Gordon
- Chamberlain
- Joe Simakaitas
- Tony Watson
- Brian Duensing
- Brett Jensen

Here is the link:
https://www.moonlightgrahamshow.com...-deric-manrique-of-tempo-sports-entertainment

Good post. I have bittersweet memories of following that team to the Big 12 Tournament in OKC. It was a blast because they lost to Mizzou in the first round, then stormed all the way back through the losers' bracket to win it - with Duensing throwing a gem in the final.

The bad memory is that Bill Byrne was lurking around the whole week, even though A&M had failed to make the tourney. Everyone knew he was there to hire Rob Childress away from NU, which he did about a week later - ending the closest thing to a golden era that NU Baseball has ever had.

Manrique basically says in the interview that his anxiety over playing catch with superstud Gordon as a freshman gave him the yips.

Does anyone know what kind of relationship Duensing, Joba, and Gordo still have with the program?

Simokaitas was a stud too.

I am not sure if any of those guys are still connected to the program but I believe some of them still live in the area during the offseason.

One of the podcasts I subscribe to had Deric Manrique on this week and they talked a lot about the 2005 Husker baseball team. I don't remember him on the team, apparently he redshirted, but he gives some great insight into Alex Gordon and Joba Chamberlain. He talks about Gordon's work ethic in particular and how he would be the first guy to weights and BP everyday. He also tells a story about going to a strip club with Joba the very first time they hung out and how no one had any idea of how good he was going to be when he first showed up. The whole podcast reminded me of how great that team was:

- Gordon
- Chamberlain
- Joe Simakaitas
- Tony Watson
- Brian Duensing
- Brett Jensen

Here is the link:
https://www.moonlightgrahamshow.com...-deric-manrique-of-tempo-sports-entertainment
You forgot Ryan Wehrle, Daniel Bruce, Jesse Boyer, Phil Shirek, Ryan Bohanan. Andy Gerch, Curtis Ledbetter, Johnny Dorn, Jeff Christy, Jake Opitz, Brandon Fusilier, Zach Kroneke

Reactions: Lamoni and McNulty4
Haha when the team had 17 guys play pro ball it's hard to name them all. That was a fun spring and it would be great if we could taste that Omaha experience again.

Manrique basically says in the interview that his anxiety over playing catch with superstud Gordon as a freshman gave him the yips.

Does anyone know what kind of relationship Duensing, Joba, and Gordo still have with the program?
Seriously? ALex donated 1,000,000 to the program several years ago to build the indoor practice facility.

Reactions: Lamoni
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT