ADVERTISEMENT

POB

He's playing against really good competition.

What is impressive to me is that this coaching staff identified one of the top QB's on the west coast, got on him early, gained his commitment, and haven't let up on him.

Land one guy like this every recruiting cycle and Langsdorf will have plenty of talent at the position. He'll have the right tools to sharpen and develop. And eventually, he'll find a guy who can play at a high level on Saturdays. It may not be POB, but if he gets 4 POB type talents on campus, he'll get at least one of them ready to play.

I don't want it "balanced" either. I want it run-heavy.
Then why the post complaining about not being "balanced" earlier? You complained that it wasn't balanced, I showed you that it was, then you say "I don't want it balanced"? Not sure I'm following you...

I have no problem with you wanting it run-heavy. It could be very successful, as we've seen here in the past. just didn't follow the lack of balance jab... It feels out of place considering you were never supporting balance in the first place.

Reactions: knightwxc5000
Name the team that has won the national title that has been a primary passing team since since 1996.

That's why we want to run the ball. But be able to pass if necessary. I don't care how good the QB can throw it.
Bump for Jeans.

Double Wow! this young man is very polished. He makes it look so easy; very fluid. Some of the corners he's playing against seem as lost as ours. Laughing

Didn't realized he can run the zone read and take off. Not super fast, but certainly enough to keep the D honest.

If he signs and gets on campus early, watch out. He's definitely going to raise the bar of competition. Can't wait to see what he can do.

O'brien to Johnson sounds good to me!

giphy.gif

Reactions: sparky62
Double Wow! this young man is very polished. He makes it look so easy; very fluid. Some of the corners he's playing against seem as lost as ours. Laughing

Didn't realized he can run the zone read and take off. Not super fast, but certainly enough to keep the D honest.

If he signs and gets on campus early, watch out. He's definitely going to raise the bar of competition. Can't wait to see what he can do.

O'brien to Johnson sounds good to me!

And thats why we dream. Love that idea.

Even the coaches are listening on the balance and timing of passing; so valid contributions from most. POB is the best we can get. I agree we need two; but Frost used his N connection to steal him to Oregon.
The poster is right; he plays in a good conference and his team mention is spot on. Receivers are going to drop at least 10% ( doubt ours have done this well in all games); so hitting 80% is huge and shows a lot - knowing the routes, perception and anticipation: on and on. He starred in camps on the West coast; WE ARE LUCKY; we can't do better imo, on top of that he has figured out how to get here at semester. GBR

Then why the post complaining about not being "balanced" earlier? You complained that it wasn't balanced, I showed you that it was, then you say "I don't want it balanced"? Not sure I'm following you...

I have no problem with you wanting it run-heavy. It could be very successful, as we've seen here in the past. just didn't follow the lack of balance jab... It feels out of place considering you were never supporting balance in the first place.
Because somebody was suggesting that this staff has a "balanced" offensive philosophy, and that strikes me as inaccurate. IMO they have a throw-first mentality.

Reactions: timnsun
Because somebody was suggesting that this staff has a "balanced" offensive philosophy, and that strikes me as inaccurate. IMO they have a throw-first mentality.
I think I can agree with you... They do seem to be more pass first. Having said that, I do believe they want balance as well, which the statistics bear out.

What will be interesting to see is when we have a QB who can really sling it with greater consistency, what will we be? I think this is probably what the coaches would prefer, which would mean more passing down the road. I still think they want to run the ball, but it may be only enough to keep other teams honest.

Unless we run 75% of the time, most Nebraska fans are going to b*tch that we pass too much. Balanced means 50-50 play calling. The staff may look lost running the ball now, but that's only because they are trying to run against a defense geared up to stop the run. If we get to the point where we have a legit passing attack, that's when the run plays this staff has in their arsenal will start to really produce.

Running effectively in a balanced offense and running effectively against a stacked box are two completely different things and require completely different schemes. This staff isn't experienced managing a run based offense. And that's ok. It just doesn't mesh great with the talent we have. Thus, this being a transition year.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I think I can agree with you... They do seem to be more pass first. Having said that, I do believe they want balance as well, which the statistics bear out.

What will be interesting to see is when we have a QB who can really sling it with greater consistency, what will we be? I think this is probably what the coaches would prefer, which would mean more passing down the road. I still think they want to run the ball, but it may be only enough to keep other teams honest.

Here's my thing that I wonder with that: Is "balance" a myth? If you're 50/50, do you truly have the edge you need to hammer out tough yards when the situation demands it? Other than FSU, I struggle to think of a throwing team that really can flip the switch when they need to.

Reactions: timnsun
Here's my thing that I wonder with that: Is "balance" a myth? If you're 50/50, do you truly have the edge you need to hammer out tough yards when the situation demands it? Other than FSU, I struggle to think of a throwing team that really can flip the switch when they need to.
I know... Jack of all trades, master of none. I worry about that as well. We will see sooner or later where we stand and if this strategy proves to be effective or not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT