ADVERTISEMENT

Playoffs are stale

Mack In Motion

Graduate Assistant
Jun 20, 2001

I would imagine this kind of drop (lost $$$$) if repeated again next season, will finally cause a shakeup in the current format. Regardless of the role corona may be playing. Lost $$$$ is lost $$$$.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red I 73
I read that in the 7 years of the playoff, there have been, of course, 28 teams selected.
20 of the 28 playoff spots have gone to just four schools - Bama, Clemson, OSU, and OU.

Maybe our players should get better by working hard so they can be in the playoffs instead of opting out. Cant blame Alabama, Ohio state, Clemson. Not their faults. It’s not like when saban and dabo took over their schools they were having a bunch of success before them. Maybe our staff should figure it out to be a well oiled machine like those schools so top players want to play there.
Yes the playoffs may need to be extended, but you will still see those same teams in the end unless some other teams decide to get better.

Maybe our players should get better by working hard so they can be in the playoffs instead of opting out. Cant blame Alabama, Ohio state, Clemson. Not their faults. It’s not like when saban and dabo took over their schools they were having a bunch of success before them. Maybe our staff should figure it out to be a well oiled machine like those schools so top players want to play there.
Yes the playoffs may need to be extended, but you will still see those same teams in the end unless some other teams decide to get better.

I didn’t realize the bowl game down in Shreveport was part of the playoffs.

Looks like the data is telling us there are only about 2 or 3 teams a year good enough to win a title so I know what we should do...invite nore teams!!! Wait, what? We want to invite even less deserving teams who would get waxed by even bigger margins in an attempt to gain viewers? I don't see any holes in that plan.

This was just a funky year, everything was down....toss it aside and see what happens next year before we ovet react and overhaul the entire system.

Looks like the data is telling us there are only about 2 or 3 teams a year good enough to win a title so I know what we should do...invite nore teams!!! Wait, what? We want to invite even less deserving teams who would get waxed by even bigger margins in an attempt to gain viewers? I don't see any holes in that plan.

This was just a funky year, everything was down....toss it aside and see what happens next year before we ovet react and overhaul the entire system.
On the flip side, if you have more teams eligible then possibly you will have the talent spread around and will more teams playing at a higher level. Bring some value into winning a conference championship, by inviting conference champions only. If you don't win your conference you stay home period.

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
I didn’t realize the bowl game down in Shreveport was part of the playoffs.
Point is those programs get better by playing. Not opting out. But let’s complain and make rules so Alabama can’t win as much. We are told how important bowl games are to getting better and then we opt out. So hence why those schools get better since they don’t opt out

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
The dropped the scholarship number down to 85 so it supposed to make more teams competitive, we keep hearing college football has more parity, my question is for whom did it help? imo all the 85 limits did was help the southern schools Alabama continues to over sign each recruiting cycle and the Powers to be say that’s ok but most other conferences play by the rules.

On the flip side, if you have more teams eligible then possibly you will have the talent spread around and will more teams playing at a higher level. Bring some value into winning a conference championship, by inviting conference champions only. If you don't win your conference you stay home period.

I doubt the average CFB fan can even tell you who won the Pac 12 or what their record was this year....and they would have gotten a beat down by 3/4 playoff teams this year. Saturating a product with some more crappy product trying to drive ratings just doesn't make sense to me.

I doubt the average CFB fan can even tell you who won the Pac 12 or what their record was this year....and they would have gotten a beat down by 3/4 playoff teams this year. Saturating a product with some more crappy product trying to drive ratings just doesn't make sense to me.

Yep I immediately thought of the PAC 12 with this post. Best teams should be in the playoffs.

Reactions: HuskerO
While I get the desire for a playoff, I was never a fan of the move away from the traditional bowl system. There was something special about the way it used to be. That said, I think what we are now witnessing is the professionalization of collegiate athletics. We've been moving in that direction for a long time, but the introduction of the playoff system hastened the process.

Regarding the dominance of Alabama, Clemson and OSU, and the staleness of the playoff. It occurred to me the other day that over signing and the portal go hand in hand. The model of the future is to over sign, if kids underperform they're asked to move on, just like a professional league. When other teams fully embrace this modus operandi then perhaps we'll see more parity in the playoff system.

At the same time when this transition takes hold we will have shed any pretense that these are collegiate athletes, which will open the floodgates to paying players.

The model of the future is to over sign, if kids underperform they're asked to move on, just like a professional league. When other teams fully embrace this modus operandi then perhaps we'll see more parity in the playoff system.
this is not the model of the future, but the model of today.

and, it's not like teams are willfully ignoring it. the SEC/ACC don't guarantee scholarships for 4 years, allowing for this kind of flexibility, while the B1G does guarantee scholarships for 4 years, therefore putting programs, 11 of which have already made it clear they don't care about football, in an expensive predicament when trying to maintain the 85 while playing river boat three card monty with discarded talent.

Reactions: ATX Husker
call me crazy, but I have started to like Alabama. They are incredible! Saban is just so darn matter-of-fact that its hard to hate on him anymore. Kinda like Popovich and the Spurs and Brady/Belicheck. After hating them for so long I started to like them.

this is not the model of the future, but the model of today.

and, it's not like teams are willfully ignoring it. the SEC/ACC don't guarantee scholarships for 4 years, allowing for this kind of flexibility, while the B1G does guarantee scholarships for 4 years, therefore putting programs, 11 of which have already made it clear they don't care about football, in an expensive predicament when trying to maintain the 85 while playing river boat three card monty with discarded talent.
Nailed it

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I read that in the 7 years of the playoff, there have been, of course, 28 teams selected.
20 of the 28 playoff spots have gone to just four schools - Bama, Clemson, OSU, and OU.
I just tried to remember who those other 8 teams were. I got seven. The 8th kinda blew my mind?

Joel Klatt from fox puts it best. Its become a cycle of 3 schools getting all the best players because they are in the playoffs and all the best players going to 3 schools because they want to play in the playoffs. By expanding the playoffs more teams have a chance at having something to recruit to. Clemson Bama and OSU (LSU Oregon and Georgia close behind) have recruiting monopolies and adding more teams breaks that up

Reactions: RedMyMind
Joel Klatt from fox puts it best. Its become a cycle of 3 schools getting all the best players because they are in the playoffs and all the best players going to 3 schools because they want to play in the playoffs. By expanding the playoffs more teams have a chance at having something to recruit to. Clemson Bama and OSU (LSU Oregon and Georgia close behind) have recruiting monopolies and adding more teams breaks that up

I love Klatt...but he is wrong on this. Kids being woo'd by Bama and Clemson are still going to want to go to Bama and Clemson regardless of the playoff format.

The average Clemson, Bama, OSU coed is a 10 in Lincoln.
Get these girls some fit bits and a university stylist

Washington is who I forgot about. Michigan State is a real weird one too

Michigan state scored on a 4th and goal with 27 seconds left in the game to beat an undefeated Iowa in the big ten championship game -- if they do not score you have an undefeated Iowa team playing in the college football playoffs instead of MSU

side note -- a Mike Riley led Neb team beat that michigan state team earlier in the year

who was the last Neb coach to beat team that finished the conference championship season ahead of bowl games ranked in the top 3

The dropped the scholarship number down to 85 so it supposed to make more teams competitive, we keep hearing college football has more parity, my question is for whom did it help? imo all the 85 limits did was help the southern schools Alabama continues to over sign each recruiting cycle and the Powers to be say that’s ok but most other conferences play by the rules.
pl

Please explain what do you mean by oversign? Each NCAA football team in the top two divisions can only sign 25 players per year. How do you over sign when you have the same maximum signing per year? There are rules about counting back which is available to ever school. Thst is if you only signed 22 last year a school then can count back 3 signings. I think the players must sign by a certain date and come in for the spring semester. That is available to every school even those located in the mid west, west coast , southwest, northwest and east coast.

Michigan state scored on a 4th and goal with 27 seconds left in the game to beat an undefeated Iowa in the big ten championship game -- if they do not score you have an undefeated Iowa team playing in the college football playoffs instead of MSU

side note -- a Mike Riley led Neb team beat that michigan state team earlier in the year

who was the last Neb coach to beat team that finished the conference championship season ahead of bowl games ranked in the top 3
yes, I remember it well. I guess they made it into the playoff a little bit by default, but MSU had no business playing against Alabama that year... 38-0.

Another fun fact is that Michigan State beat Ohio State that year without MSU's starting QB when they were a big underdog. Tim Beck was calling the plays for Ohio State and he didn't feed Ezekiel Elliot and it was why they lost. He had 11 carries the whole game, with several of them coming on the first successful drive of the game. Beck did the exact same type of thing here and we almost lost to McNeese State

call me crazy, but I have started to like Alabama. They are incredible! Saban is just so darn matter-of-fact that its hard to hate on him anymore. Kinda like Popovich and the Spurs and Brady/Belicheck. After hating them for so long I started to like them.
Saban can put on that BS all he wants. Dude is and always has been a prick. That little leprechaun . Nah. Pop is the worst, pompous, I’ll tell you the right way to think, I’m right on every topic I engage and you wrong if not on that side. Dudes a douche as well. JMHO

The average Clemson, Bama, OSU coed is a 10 in Lincoln.
Get these girls some fit bits and a university stylist
Lincoln has some good looking girls too. It makes a huge difference in perception when girls can wear mini skirts and halter tops year round in the south vs jeans and a jacket most of the school year here. We do need to get a baton twirling team though, and if they have to wear a one-piece outfit in 20 degree weather to help recruiting, then so be it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT