ADVERTISEMENT

Playing for the “N”ame on the front, not the back

Migue Lobo

Dec 27, 2020
Should recruiting be more focused on regional recruits?
Sure feels like the players we recruit from across the country seem to dip when things get tough.
IMO true culture is established when players start playing to win games instead of individual stats/playing time/ system fit.... (whatever else reasons they give).
I know we don’t want players who don’t want to be here, but when you commit time effort (and money) into recruits and they take off the second they are not happy, it’s a complete waste.
Our ‘18 class is gutted. That type of attrition doesn’t hit you immediately, but catches up to you. You can say “he wasn’t playing anyways” all you want....but we are talking about year 1 and two players, (who could develop into Big Ten players in year 3, 4 or 5.)

Hard to believe guys are “trusting the process” when your best offensive player, most gifted player, and a player you elected captain (whether his playing time was being cut or not.... YOU picked him to be a CAPTAIN.)

I think it’s Time to start recruiting players who really want to get NEBRASKA back on top.

Should recruiting be more focused on regional recruits?
Sure feels like the players we recruit from across the country seem to dip when things get tough.
IMO true culture is established when players start playing to win games instead of individual stats/playing time/ system fit.... (whatever else reasons they give).
I know we don’t want players who don’t want to be here, but when you commit time effort (and money) into recruits and they take off the second they are not happy, it’s a complete waste.
Our ‘18 class is gutted. That type of attrition doesn’t hit you immediately, but catches up to you. You can say “he wasn’t playing anyways” all you want....but we are talking about year 1 and two players, (who could develop into Big Ten players in year 3, 4 or 5.)

Hard to believe guys are “trusting the process” when your best offensive player, most gifted player, and a player you elected captain (whether his playing time was being cut or not.... YOU picked him to be a CAPTAIN.)

I think it’s Time to start recruiting players who really want to get NEBRASKA back on top.

Sounds great in theory. The biggest obstacle with that line of thinking (imho) is that NO ONE being recruited was alive when Nebraska was on top.

Good luck. You can't even get HS kids to play legion baseball in the summer because they all want to pay to play showcase/prospect tourneys. The idea of caring about the team over the individual is dead. Somehow Frost has to figure out how to manage his roster and not have his best recruits constantly fizzle and bail. Winning games and getting guys drafted would be a good place to start.

Cutting down on turnovers and stupid mental mistakes help win games. Kids like to play on programs that win.

Outside of WR, I’m not broken-hearted about any of the other players that entered the transfer portal because they didn’t much while they were here other than try to grow bad mustaches.

First step is to create an identity that will give tangible results. Once we have that we’ll be able to recruit our guys. I feel like the defense has their identity in place.

Yeah, and I really would like to see Frost go back to something similar like he did at UCF or Oregon. Put the fastest mother****ers on the field and lets go. If you are going to go out, go out doing what you know best vs. trying to create some hybrid.

Yeah, and I really would like to see Frost go back to something similar like he did at UCF or Oregon. Put the fastest mother****ers on the field and lets go. If you are going to go out, go out doing what you know best vs. trying to create some hybrid.

Those Oregon teams were filled with NFL talent. When you have great players every system is effective.

UCF? Frost had a great team but I think it’s easy to see now that it’s pretty easy to win there. Perfect recruiting base in FL and the competition is easy.

Those Oregon teams were filled with NFL talent. When you have great players every system is effective.

UCF? Frost had a great team but I think it’s easy to see now that it’s pretty easy to win there. Perfect recruiting base in FL and the competition is easy.

Ok???? Frost has got away from what made him successful. I'd also be interested to go look at the rosters for Oregon as far as NFL. Yes, so made it, but they weren't that successful. Those teams did possess speed and they exploited teams by being faster.

Yes, FL has great recruiting, but he should be able to get better skill players than he did at UCF.

Ok???? Frost has got away from what made him successful. I'd also be interested to go look at the rosters for Oregon as far as NFL. Yes, so made it, but they weren't that successful. Those teams did possess speed and they exploited teams by being faster.

Yes, FL has great recruiting, but he should be able to get better skill players than he did at UCF.

My point is that UCF (along with Houston and Cincy) are power 5 level programs from a talent standpoint and playing against mid-major competition. Those programs are pretty easy to win at.

The most successful coach who made the jump from that conference has been Rhule who actually won at a place that is difficult to win at.

Joe Burrow wanted to play for Nebraska
from a source inside pelini's recruiting office the first time Burrow was shunned:

it was a 99% certainty Lamar Jackson (the QB) was signing here until the l'ville bagmen showed up in the 11th hour. already told Burrow to kick rocks in favor of him.

My point is that UCF (along with Houston and Cincy) are power 5 level programs from a talent standpoint and playing against mid-major competition. Those programs are pretty easy to win at.

The most successful coach who made the jump from that conference has been Rhule who actually won at a place that is difficult to win at.

I agree for the most part but they went 6-4 this year and that's because of the players lost while Frost was there. Easier to take over when your roster has talent.

Hopefully the OP does everything for his employer and and not what's best for himself, his family and his future.

there is no greater indictment of a head coach than he or she fails to inspire in their players a desire to get the program "back on top"

the only thing that comes close is a coach who does indeed inspire in their players a desire to get the program "back on top" but loses at program historic levels anyway

Last edited:
from a source inside pelini's recruiting office the first time Burrow was shunned:

it was a 99% certainty Lamar Jackson (the QB) was signing here until the l'ville bagmen showed up in the 11th hour. already told Burrow to kick rocks in favor of him.

Didn’t Burrow want to transfer again in Frosts first season? I guess by then Martinez was already entrenched.

FWIW, I'd be perfectly fine with us recruiting like 95% midwest kids if that meant it was almost a guarantee they'd stay and build and develop for 3-4 before their eligibility is up, even if it meant Iowa results for a while to restore faith and promise in this program again. I am completely over these studs who have camps that "want theirs" and just want a ticket to the NFL and don't care what the team does as long as their stats shine.

FWIW, I'd be perfectly fine with us recruiting like 95% midwest kids if that meant it was almost a guarantee they'd stay and build and develop for 3-4 before their eligibility is up, even if it meant Iowa results for a while to restore faith and promise in this program again. I am completely over these studs who have camps that "want theirs" and just want a ticket to the NFL and don't care what the team does as long as their stats shine.

Look at Iowa, Wisconsin, and Northwesterns depth chart (coaches who have been there for a while). Backups in many instances are upper class man who have waited 2-4 years before getting a shot. When kids graduate instead of having freshman replace production they have junior and seniors. If you notice the freshman that do play at those programs are usually really good players.

You look at Lovies first two years at Illinois where he was playing a ton of freshman by comparison it was a disaster. Those kids were probably 3 or 4 star recruits, but 3 star freshman aren’t the same as 3 star juniors.

Frost needs to avoid the recruits who are only signing with Nebraska because they think they will step on the field and immediately start

Reactions: Migue Lobo
  • Haha
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Hopefully the OP does everything for his employer and and not what's best for himself, his family and his future.
Haha! Oh man, that’s so true! Gotta get mine, right?!
Wrong.
That’s the type of BS mentality that got us here.

And if you play for your team, you will get rewarded in the end.

Look at Iowa, Wisconsin, and Northwesterns depth chart (coaches who have been there for a while). Backups in many instances are upper class man who have waited 2-4 years before getting a shot. When kids graduate instead of having freshman replace production they have junior and seniors. If you notice the freshman that do play at those programs are usually really good players.

You look at Lovies first two years at Illinois where he was playing a ton of freshman by comparison it was a disaster. Those kids were probably 3 or 4 star recruits, but 3 star freshman aren’t the same as 3 star juniors.

Frost needs to avoid the recruits who are only signing with Nebraska because they think they will step on the field and immediately start
Nailed it. Need an identity. We had that once.

Reactions: Migue Lobo
Too bad our region is bereft of talent. All part of the incredible challenges that come with playing in a talent weak state and region.

ADVERTISEMENT