ADVERTISEMENT

Players leaving/ have left

Haven't heard anything specific. You can speculate but I don't wanna dog kids who haven't broken out yet and act like we wanna chase them off campus if they're working hard to provide depth and handling their business in the classroom.

It's not always the guys you think it will be. I hope the days of shipping out half the best signees from classes are behind us. It's vital to find ways to keep those guys engaged and contributing.

That said, the dudes who can't play and don't put the work in...bye now. Sign the next crop and keep playing that numbers game to your advantage. That's something Scott gets that is going to start paying dividends in a couple years when we're not shooting scholarships out of a t-shirt cannon to bums who couldn't get accepted to walk on at most P5 schools because they're just still here as juniors and we had no choice but to play em.

Not sure I think this is a good thing. Many of the non-walkons left on campus are Frost guys. Most of the Jr./Sr. Riley guys are all starters. We've already had a ton of Frost guys from 2018 wash out. Anderson and Jefferson are the only Jr/Sr I think that are not on the 2 deep and not injured. Raridon maybe? Shrug.

Reactions: husker2612
Not sure I think this is a good thing. Many of the non-walkons left on campus are Frost guys. Most of the Jr./Sr. Riley guys are all starters. We've already had a ton of Frost guys from 2018 wash out. Anderson and Jefferson are the only Jr/Sr I think that are not on the 2 deep and not injured. Raridon maybe? Shrug.

He should have played mostly underclassmen anyway.

Explain that to the AD if this was going to be a total rebuils.

If we were young on defense too this season would be more enjoyable

I think we will have a better idea when we see what redshirting freshmen leapfrog other players for their 4 games.

If SF is too tough for some maybe we should bring back the man with the sprinkles?

I'm ready for Saban to go a hollering in the club house

Sadly, I think we'll probably lose some guys that we really don't want to lose and can't afford to lose.
I doubt it. Guys want to play, typically guys that leave aren’t in line for PT. Not many chose it sit out if they can get on the field.

In any organizational change there are multiple waves of attrition:

Phase 1: I don’t like new things or can immediately tell it is a bad fit (first year)
Phase 2: I’m going to give this a try, but it ends up not working out, due to getting replaced, fatigue, lack of fit, etc. (2-3 years)
Phase 3: stable culture, steady state attrition that is a natural part of any program.

I think we will see phase 2 continue over the next 12-24 months..

it seems Frost’s approach is a long term shift, which is usually more stable but causes lots of angst in the short term.. He will need to get his guys in, not necessarily due to talent, but he is committed to the styles of offense and defense that he wants. Even a talented player can be a misfit due to scheme, teaching style, etc. I think a 3-5 year shift is most probable, given what we have seen, so patience is the key.. if Frost were to leave, a different coach might win more in the short term but not over time.

luckily, Moos, Frost, Osborne, etc. are the less than 1% that can think strategically and have the fortitude to stick with it.. otherwise we would be changing coaches every few years...

kind of like throwing spaghetti against a wall to see what sticks... (Pedeyshine and Eichorst)

better days ahead...

So this is still rumor. I think my original point holds. Outside of 2 Riley guys I mentioned holding down scholarships and not on the 2-deep, all the rest of who might go are Frost guys. How exactly is that good? We’ve already had attrition of his players. This is not a good thing.

It’s fascinating how underachieving in the short term is turned into “taking a long term approach” and “building the right way” and “thinking strategically”.

Because as everyone knows there is nothing that predicts long term success better than short term failure.

Sure let's go ahead and get rid of an upperclassmen low 3 or 4 star player and replace him with a freshman low 3 or 4 star player. At least that way when we lose we can keep making excuses that we're a young team every year.
EXACTLY!!!

Unless you are recruiting a top 5 classes, attrition will not help us. Frost just mentioned Ohio St, Wisconsin, and Iowa and how they have 21 and 22 year old men on the field. We can't get there with yet another round of players leaving the program!

• We need players to stick with the program until they reach full potential!
  • We need continuity with the coaching staff so players have consistent off-season goals, schemes, mentorship, and expectations for their entire careers.
  • We need a fan base to support our staff and encourage continuity.

With out these three things, we will keep seeing grown men out play our young team every season.

They improved immensely after several players left last season. Gotta have the right mix in the locker room.

This makes no sense. If the “cancer” left last year and the team improved, why would have to have yet another purge this year? Especially considering there was also a recruiting class of all Frost guys added to the mix as well.

Last edited:
After the next game we will get to see all the Freshman that are being Redshirted. Can't wait. It should be obvious then.
No chance. If there were players on the bench that were better than the starters they would be playing already. This team still has to win two more games to become bowl eligible. I don’t think there’s anyway Scott Frost is tanking a season to save a year’s eligibility of a handful of players

Reactions: TheBeav815
There will be attrition every year. The tweet was stupid and pointless. It's amazing how gullible and desperate some of you are to have a meaningless metldown.

It’s fascinating how underachieving in the short term is turned into “taking a long term approach” and “building the right way” and “thinking strategically”.

Because as everyone knows there is nothing that predicts long term success better than short term failure.

I thought we'd have a shot at the west this year but I didn't think we'd regress so much on offense. Clearly losing Foster and Farmer hurt more than any of us thought it would. A passable OL last year is atrocious this year.

Getting bowl eligible would be clear progress though, even though ultimately we want to be way better than we are now.

Last edited:
Notre Dame should have applied attrition to Brian Kelly after the whole murder thing.

giphy.gif

Sadly, I think we'll probably lose some guys that we really don't want to lose and can't afford to lose.

This program has had half ass it/ weak minded players for years. If we lose some because they can't or don't want to put in the effort that is required by this coaching staff then there is nothing sad about it. Yes, short term it may hurt the team but long term it is for the best. Until everyone of those players are gone this team and program will never get better. Not everyone is cut out for the mental or physical demand of college athletics.

EXACTLY!!!

Unless you are recruiting a top 5 classes, attrition will not help us. Frost just mentioned Ohio St, Wisconsin, and Iowa and how they have 21 and 22 year old men on the field. We can't get there with yet another round of players leaving the program!

• We need players to stick with the program until they reach full potential!
  • We need continuity with the coaching staff so players have consistent off-season goals, schemes, mentorship, and expectations for their entire careers.
  • We need a fan base to support our staff and encourage continuity.

With out these three things, we will keep seeing grown men out play our young team every season.
It will if those guys who left have been nothing but negative, have half asses it through practice and games, have been a negative influence to the team. I don't see any negative long term with guys leaving at this point. If this was year 4 or year 5 and we were seeing a high rate of players leaving every year that would be a bad sign. This early in the process those leaving are probably, not getting the playing time they think they deserve, not willing to put in the work that coaches are demanding, tired of losing. All signal a weak minded individual and one that hurts more than helps the team.

So this is still rumor. I think my original point holds. Outside of 2 Riley guys I mentioned holding down scholarships and not on the 2-deep, all the rest of who might go are Frost guys. How exactly is that good? We’ve already had attrition of his players. This is not a good thing.
Non contributors or guys that don’t want to do what is required moving on is not a bad thing, no matter who’s “guys” they are. Schools like Oklahoma, Bama, Clemson have attrition every year. It’s better for everyone if some kids that are never going to play find some place they can.

It will if those guys who left have been nothing but negative, have half asses it through practice and games, have been a negative influence to the team. I don't see any negative long term with guys leaving at this point. If this was year 4 or year 5 and we were seeing a high rate of players leaving every year that would be a bad sign. This early in the process those leaving are probably, not getting the playing time they think they deserve, not willing to put in the work that coaches are demanding, tired of losing. All signal a weak minded individual and one that hurts more than helps the team.

Again I say, if Nebraska, or any program, has players that are half assing it in practice or games and are still seeing the field, then that is on the coach.

Two things...

1. Guys will always be leaving the program, any program, each year. Just like "regular" college students leave/transfer.

2. Brandon is doing a little fishing here, I don't blame him, they are in the sales business. But these are also the guys that were telling us that Moss was passed out drunk in Lincoln bars...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT