ADVERTISEMENT

Players committed to NU by position as of today

itseasyas1-2-3

Recruiting Coordinator
Sep 6, 2021
List of verbal and commitments at present time. This list will be updated as new commitments are announced.

By Position/ Number at Position/ Name/Date the last player at that position committed.

Offense: (15)

QB 1 (Sims) 12/18/22

OL 6 (Gottula, Sledge, Knutson, Maciejczak, Goldman, Scott)) 12/19/22

WR 5 (Lloyd, Turner, Doss, Coleman, Fleeks) 12/21/22

ATH 1 (Ives) 12/11/22

K 1 (Alvano) 12/16/22?

LS 1 (Ortiz) 12/11/22

Defense: (13)

DL 3 (Van Poppel, Juedy, Jackson) 12/21/22

DE 3 (Wallin, Noonan, Umanmielen) 12/19/22

LB 3 (Rogers, Borders, Fields) 12/21/22

DB/S 4 (Safeeullah, Bootle, Stewart, Collier) 12/17/22

Last edited:
I'm kind of surprised with the commits yesterday that Hornsby wasn't one of them. Sims may be better overall but Hornsby had the connection with Rhule.
Maybe one or both want to be the only QB NU signs this cycle. The longshot possibility of Raiola committing would perhaps eliminate Hornsby from signing. It wouldn't make any difference to Sims.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Trying hard to trust in Rhule. A lot of these guys are out of the top 500. Just have to trust the process. Outside of the Juco and 2 transfers, hard to see any of them contributing any time soon.

I’m thinking today he pulls the trigger..

We need Casey Thompson to be our starter at the start of next season..
It's very odd IMO that Casey hasn't declared one way or the other yet if he's coming back next season. I'm thinking he might want to see how his surgery goes before deciding.

Reactions: Meanfarmer3160
Trying hard to trust in Rhule. A lot of these guys are out of the top 500. Just have to trust the process. Outside of the Juco and 2 transfers, hard to see any of them contributing any time soon.
I suspect, based on logic, Rhule will run this cycle and see what we wind up with. Take a look at the roster and then decide who the NIL will become aggressive to sign prior to the start of Fall practice.

Right now, with respect to these kids, NU is kind of a signing speed. No doubt, some really good players already have committed, but as we all know, NU continues to have areas of real need. Open up those purse strings.

I certainly hope a 2024 freshmen QB doesn’t scare a transfer QB for 2023 lol
That's why I said it wouldn't bother Sims since he's an upperclassman.

With Hornsby, I doubt seriously if in 2024 he wants to battle the #1 rated QB in the country with his dad and uncle's connection to the University.

Clearly, in that longshot Raiola signing, NU would not be bringing him in to sit on the bench.

It’s exactly how he rebuilt both Temple and Baylor His recruiting ranking for incoming recruits was in the 40s but he went after better athletes with lots of upside. My biggest concern for this next year is implementing completely new systems on both sides of the ball.

I suspect, based on logic, Rhule will run this cycle and see what we wind up with. Take a look at the roster and then decide who the NIL will become aggressive to sign prior to the start of Fall practice.

Right now, with respect to these kids, NU is kind of a signing speed. No doubt, some really good players already have committed, but as we all know, NU continues to have areas of real need. Open up those purse strings.
There’s going to be more guys from Bama, Georgia, etc who enter the portal after spring ball. If w can find a couple of guys again like Wynn and Drew that would be helpful.

It's very odd IMO that Casey hasn't declared one way or the other yet if he's coming back next season. I'm thinking he might want to see how his surgery goes before deciding.
It would seem to me that CT would have to come back from that surgery and prove to the NFL that he is healthy enough to consider being drafted.

The pro scouts already have CT listed as an Undrafted Free Agent.

So, prior to his surgery, the NFL people would not have him on their draft board anyway.

Reactions: BleedRed78
It’s exactly how he rebuilt both Temple and Baylor His recruiting ranking for incoming recruits was in the 40s but he went after better athletes with lots of upside. My biggest concern for this next year is implementing completely new systems on both sides of the ball.
It’s important to solidify roster as best as possible by spring (avoiding many post spring additions). The practice time with coaches is key for learning new schemes.

Also important for coaches to know what the kids can handle in year 1. I’m not super worried about it. More worried about the personnel to execute.

I agree and made that point earlier in the week. The Spring game will be an interesting situation with the coaches trying to implement both a new offense and defense. It could look a little ragged at times, but at least there will be tackling.

I agree and made that point earlier in the week. The Spring game will be an interesting situation with the coaches trying to implement both a new offense and defense. It could look a little ragged at times, but at least there will be tackling.
Are we still in on the ASU transfer center? Last I read somebody had him as a heavy NU lean.

Reactions: HominidHusker
Any idea if we are going to see the return of the fullback? Or will that be a hybrid kind of player?

Reactions: Dean Pope
It would seem to me that CT would have to come back from that surgery and prove to the NFL that he is healthy enough to consider being drafted.

The pro scouts already have CT listed as an Undrafted Free Agent.

So, prior to his surgery, the NFL people would not have him on their draft board anyway.
I don't think CT has an NFL career. Realistically doesn't seem to me like he'd make it in the NFL. I think his choices are to come back to Nebraska for a final year or to hang it up. Possibly a stint with a non-NFL pro team.

Last edited:
I'm going to "assume" the offensive side of the ball will be much easier to install than the defense. Sure, different blocking schemes, but you're still run or pass blocking which can be improved through spring ball.

The defense, with all the moving parts of the 3-3-5, could be a lot trickier to install in order to prevent multiple busts in assignments.

Reactions: countrybob
It’s important to solidify roster as best as possible by spring (avoiding many post spring additions). The practice time with coaches is key for learning new schemes.

Also important for coaches to know what the kids can handle in year 1. I’m not super worried about it. More worried about the personnel to execute.
The good, and bad part of this case is NU will be returning a LOT of experienced players on both sides of the ball.

Granted, we all want to see a significant upgrade in terms of talent and especially speed on defense.

They seem to be making real headway at least in the appearance of a speed upgrade on defense.

I don't think CT has an NFL career. Doesn't seem to me like he'd make in the NFL.
I tend to agree with the experts, not that I'm a QB expert, but his overall deficiencies at the QB spot when compared to the NFL-type QB are quite large and have a lot of subpar areas. But, I hope he at least gets his shot.

I don't think CT has an NFL career. Doesn't seem to me like he'd make in the NFL.
I agree, but would like to see him get a shot playing behind a competent OL (at Nebraska), unless we can get a transfer who’s better.

However, the surgery seems like a pretty big barrier for him to return here successfully.

I'm going to "assume" the offensive side of the ball will be much easier to install than the defense. Sure, different blocking schemes, but you're still run or pass blocking which can be improved through spring ball.

The defense, with all the moving parts of the 3-3-5, could be a lot trickier to install in order to prevent multiple busts in assignments.
Especially when we have a heavy running scheme team to start the season with in Minneapolis…

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
The good, and bad part of this case is NU will be returning a LOT of experienced players on both sides of the ball.

Granted, we all want to see a significant upgrade in terms of talent and especially speed on defense.

They seem to be making real headway at least in the appearance of a speed upgrade on defense.
It’s all about depth and competition.
Too many times we think we’re gonna be ok… and then injuries happen and the dropoff is too sharp. Since injuries are expected, functional depth is required.

Some of the guys listed as fullbacks in the NFL line up as TEs at times. Gimme a 240 lb TE who isn’t 6’7” and I’m fine with them using a hybrid guy
I agree dingle. As odd as it sounds, and given NU is really short at the TE spot, I'd like to see them try Snodgrass as FB and even a trimmed-down, athletic type kid like...Piper.

Especially if they feel he can't be a big contributor as an OLman. Piper could especially benefit from working at FB and practice blocking a moving target. LOL

We don't have to look any farther than QB, do we? Shitty depth is no depth at all, it's just a body to man a position.
I expect Purdy to take a step forward this next year. I thought he corrected some things as he went and having an OC who believes we have to run the ball might help all of our QBs. Chubba has good size, excellent mobility and is a very smart guy. IMO we really need to keep him because I think he’s just going to get better.

He was or is visiting Auburn yesterday or today.

*Edit* I see where Auburn has already signed 5 OL/IOL in this 2023 class.
Wasn’t UCLA in the mix too. I don’t remember if it was On3 or who but somebody had him at 90% to N. IMO he would probably be one of the most important gets as a bridge to guys like Sledge.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
I expect Purdy to take a step forward this next year. I thought he corrected some things as he went and having an OC who believes we have to run the ball might help all of our QBs. Chubba has good size, excellent mobility and is a very smart guy. IMO we really need to keep him because I think he’s just going to get better.
His accuracy is abysmal. If he can improve that I agree he has potential. If not he's unplayable. If we go into next season with him in the two-deep it will be a huge disappointment.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
He literally cannot pass

Did you forget what you watched last year? Did Whipple slice his UCL in two, reducing his arm strength to that of a middle school girl?

Get Chubba the F outta town yesterday. Smothers too. Neither should take another snap here & that is beyond obvious

No amount of coaching can make up for someone who pisses his pants at the thought of starting & then cannot - literally cannot - throw the ball farther than 30 yards downfield

I’m so sick of these losers - their die has been cast.. Chubba has been in college for 3+ years. He is who he is and that is a player who doesn’t even deserve to call in plays from the sideline

Absolute waste of a scholarship. Adios!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT