ADVERTISEMENT

Players call for increased safety protocol in a letter

Status
Not open for further replies.
If 30 out of every 100,000 people were murdered in Chicago each year, would you live anywhere near Chicago?
Same question but for Kansas City because their murders per 100K is actually higher than Chicago. But you knew that, right?

If random people literally could sneeze or cough bullets at me while I was getting groceries without even knowing they were doing it yeah I would probably avoid the place where that happens.

In both those instances I'd be strongly in favor of policies that made it way less likely for the thing that killed the people to be widely available. But that's what makes me an insufferable liberal pussy, I just don't like killing people near as much as a real man should.

If it seems like I stop replying to you ever again that isn't a coincidence. Bye now.

Sunscreen and basements. Your trash talking skills are about as strong as your medical knowledge.

I never said you're uneducated, what I think you are is stupid.

Goodbye forever and welcome to the ignore list.

LOL! Scurry back into your basement.

US Population 329,814,000 US Deaths 156,839 = .048%

99.95% survival rate, that doesn't take into account population growth. At some point you have to realize the risk is OK. I heard the CDC guy said suicides and death by drug overdose in teens is way up this year. Don't make the cure worse than the disease.
You don't calculate the mortality rate of a cause or illness using the total population. However, I'll play along with your charade.....

Using your method, here are the mortality rates of the following causes of death (stats from 2018 or 2019; flu is for 2018-19 flu season)

Heart Disease- 0.196% (647,000 deaths)
Cancer- 0.18% (607,000 deaths)
COVID 19- 0.048% (160,000 deaths...so far...in 6 months)
Car Accidents- 0.011% (38,800 deaths)
Influenza- 0.010% (34,200 deaths)
Drownings- 0.00062% (2,077 deaths)

As far as suicides go, the last number I found was just under 49,000 suicides for 2018. We'll say that it is x3 for 2020 (I don't think it has gone up that much, but we'll pretend). That puts that number at 144,000 by the end of the year. That gives us, using your methodology, a mortality rate of 0.043%...still under what the COVID mortality rate will be for what will be 10 months of 2020.

Drug Overdoses- 67,000 of those for 2018. Again, well say x3 by the end of 2020 (unlikely, but, again, we'll pretend). That gives us 201,000, for a rate of 0.060%.

The model for C19 deaths is 200,000 by November 1st. The model for August 1st was 137,000 if I remember correctly (and we have passed that).

Last edited:
You don't calculate the mortality rate of a cause or illness using the total population. However, I'll play along with your charade.....

Using your method, here are the mortality rates of the following causes of death (stats from 2018 or 2019; flu is for 2018-19 flu season)

Heart Disease- 0.196% (647,000 deaths)
Cancer- 0.18% (607,000 deaths)
COVID 19- 0.048% (160,000 deaths...so far...in 6 months)
Car Accidents- 0.011% (38,800 deaths)
Influenza- 0.010% (34,200 deaths)
Drownings- 0.00062% (2,077 deaths)

As far as suicides go, the last number I found was just under 49,000 suicides for 2018. We'll say that it is x3 for 2020 (I don't think it has gone up that much, but we'll pretend). That puts that number at 144,000 by the end of the year. That gives us, using your methodology, a mortality rate of 0.043%...still under what the COVID mortality rate will be for what will be 10 months of 2020.

Drug Overdoses- 67,000 of those for 2018. Again, well say x3 by the end of 2020 (unlikely, but, again, we'll pretend). That gives us 201,000, for a rate of 0.060%.

The model for C19 deaths is 200,000 by November 1st. The model for August 1st was 137,000 if I remember correctly (and we have passed that).
This link shows how the cdc calculates mortality rate vs case fatality rate vs death to case ratio and several other death frequency measures.
https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dsepd/ss1978/lesson3/section3.html

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Do these guys realize that IF they get Covid, there's about a 1 in 250,000 chance they will die and an 80%+ chance they will show little or no symptoms? Even less chance of death since they are likely in excellent physical condition. There's about a 1 in 500 chance they'll be hit by a car and killed walking down the street to practice.

The madness needs to stop.
im good if a kid wants to opt out because of covid. its their choice. we do tend to forget all the other ways we encounter danger in a normal day

We all better just hunker down forever then, because we carry all kinds of pathogens that could kill a more vulnerable person. Again, this virus has a .26% fatality rate. Yes, it's higher among the vulnerable. Bottom line: If you are worried about getting this virus, you should stay home. The rest of us should be able to live our lives. Just like we have ALWAYS DONE up to this virus. And there have been plenty that were just as deadly if not deadlier than Covid.

These players have a FAR HIGHER chance of death from the blunt force trauma they are going to experience in the game than they do from this virus.
the deadlier viruses were not as contagious. those viruses didn't reach many people. this one is reaching EVERYONE. So even with a lower kill rate it kills a LOT more people

US Population 329,814,000 US Deaths 156,839 = .048%

99.95% survival rate, that doesn't take into account population growth. At some point you have to realize the risk is OK. I heard the CDC guy said suicides and death by drug overdose in teens is way up this year. Don't make the cure worse than the disease.
the most important number in your post is not .048
its 156,839
and we have way less than 10 percent infected

the deadlier viruses were not as contagious. those viruses didn't reach many people. this one is reaching EVERYONE. So even with a lower kill rate it kills a LOT more people
The plague killed an estimated 25 million people, almost a third of Europe's population at the time. the hong kong flu in 1968 killed a million people, and it didn't even delay Woodstock.

covid is scarier because mush brains like you have nothing better to do than clutch their pearls looking at social media and the news. fortunately for most, it won't reach the top 10 deadliest pandemics.

Last edited:
Well, the fatality rate is from the CDC, so........

And don't get me started on the collateral damage from the shutdowns. It's going to kill way more people then this virus ever will.

"Too many people in the US grow up feeling like freedom is some god given right."

Your quote is proof positive that our education system has MASSIVELY FAILED teaching basic civics and the principles upon which our nation was founded. Freedom IS a God-given right! It's the concept that our whole constitutional republic is founded upon! You might what to check out the first sentence of the second paragraph of the Declaration of Independence: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Good lord, I shudder for our nation when I read people write things like you do that shows they have no idea where true rights come from and I'm not even close to joking. The myopic ignorance of handing over freedoms so easily based on the idea that you are providing security is breathtaking. You will end up losing both.

BTW: Sweden is doing fabulously and they are the only country that didn't lock down. South Dakota is doing great, too.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political...0J1v3t48_WEILkj84FQZ5o7RW5giPa3lpAhmzIM4P8Yu4
sweden is doing worse than most European countries and has a higher per capita death rate than the us. so you might want to do some more research and quit spouting headlines from 3 months ago. Sweden's economy has taken similar hits as all their neighbors as well. so you can provide evidence that about 200,000 people have died directly related to the lockdown? where can i find those stats? and how did the doctor performing the autopsy label it? unfortunately, there probably has been some detrimental effect from lockdown but it would be IMPOSSIBLE to measure it. so we can all bullshit on that statement as well. the constitution also includes in many different places references to participating in the greater good of the country. why are you so obsessed with losing freedoms? I've honestly never thought about that topic in my entire life and i'm retired. what happened to you that you are so scared of waking up tomorrow?

sweden is doing worse than most European countries and has a higher per capita death rate than the us. so you might want to do some more research and quit spouting headlines from 3 months ago. Sweden's economy has taken similar hits as all their neighbors as well. so you can provide evidence that about 200,000 people have died directly related to the lockdown? where can i find those stats? and how did the doctor performing the autopsy label it? unfortunately, there probably has been some detrimental effect from lockdown but it would be IMPOSSIBLE to measure it. so we can all bullshit on that statement as well. the constitution also includes in many different places references to participating in the greater good of the country. why are you so obsessed with losing freedoms? I've honestly never thought about that topic in my entire life and i'm retired. what happened to you that you are so scared of waking up tomorrow?

Okay, boomer.

The plague killed an estimated 25 million people, almost a third of Europe's population at the time. the hong kong flu in 1968 killed a million people, and it didn't even delay Woodstock.

covid is scarier because mush brains like you have nothing better to do than clutch their pearls looking at social media and the news. fortunately for most, it won't reach the top 10 deadliest pandemics.
covid has already killed 50% more than the hong kong flu which is considered the worst pandemic in us history and thats with nationwide lockdowns for 3 months. take away the lockdowns and covid would be double the hong kong flu just 6 months in. i think you are confusing people having concern with people freaking out. i dont know anyone freaking out. except you

covid has already killed 50% more than the hong kong flu which is considered the worst pandemic in us history and thats with nationwide lockdowns for 3 months. take away the lockdowns and covid would be double the hong kong flu just 6 months in. i think you are confusing people having concern with people freaking out. i dont know anyone freaking out. except you

The Spanish Flu says hi.

50% more? that would be 1.5 million, or more than twice what covid (706k) has done.

I see whatever profession you retired from didn't require much math.

hit the sack, gramps.

The Spanish Flu says hi.
i think i saw pictures of lots of people wearing masks during the spanish flu. So that would suggest the country did do something to try to prevent its spread. thats probably why rambo left it out of his argument that we have never done anything in the past to prevent infections during a pandemic. so thanks for the back up on this

50% more? that would be 1.5 million, or more than twice what covid (706k) has done.

hit the sack, gramps.

He evidently wasn't aware of the Spanish Flu.

i think i saw pictures of lots of people wearing masks during the spanish flu. So that would suggest the country did do something to try to prevent its spread. thats probably why rambo left it out of his argument that we have never done anything in the past to prevent infections during a pandemic. so thanks for the back up on this
my argument? gee, seems you didn't retire from the legal profession, either.

never done anything to prevent infections? you really haven't a clue, do you. quarantine legislation in this country, quite literally to prevent the spread of communicable disease, has existed since before the Declaration of Independence was ratified. but, hey, maybe that's just happenstance.

you created an account on a football recruiting message board for the sole purpose of posting about covid. I'd consider that bizarre behavior for someone who's supposed to be enjoying their golden years with their grandkids. perhaps even bordering on freaking out, some might say.

what's got your brain so mushy, old timer?

Reactions: dinglefritz

Just helping you out with the facts of history. Spanish Flu was way worse than the Hong Kong Flu, but I'm guessing you probably chose that because it better fits your narrative that Covid is the worst tragedy that's ever befallen our country.

Oh, and you're right about people wearing masks during the Spanish Flu. Didn't seem to help so much, did it?

hit the sack, gramps.
hong kong killed about 100,000 in the united states. covid is at about 160,000. why would you use numbers from other countries when we are talking about the united states? your original argument related to the united states then you used numbers from the rest of the world. because it makes your argument look better if you use irrelevant data? you so scared of your shadow that you intentionally mix and match data and hope no one notices?

Last edited:
Just helping you out with the facts of history. Spanish Flu was way worse than the Hong Kong Flu, but I'm guessing you probably chose that because it better fits your narrative that Covid is the worst tragedy that's ever befallen our country.
apparently you can't read. my narrative was not about any of the worst tragedies to ever befallen our country. that was the narrative of the poster i was responding to. I've never referred to covid as the worst tragedy ever. But despite never saying it, it hasn't stopped people like you from putting words in other peoples mouths. not sure why you want to exaggerate everything. it usually means you feel isolated and angry. Those of us supposedly "scared" are living through an inconvenience but its not nearly as taxing on us as it appears it is on you.

hong kong killed about 100,000 in the united states. covid is at about 160,000. why would use numbers from other countries when we are talking about the united states? your original argument related to the united states then you used numbers from the rest of the world. because it makes your argument look better if you use irrelevant data? you so scared of your shadow that you intentionally mix and match data and hope no one notices?
You’re more than welcome to reread my posts and share the US-specific piece about which you’re referring in order to not look like a senile nincompoop.

You’re also welcome to continue responding to imaginary arguments.

Up to you.

Oh, and you're right about people wearing masks during the Spanish Flu. Didn't seem to help so much, did it?
i dont know how much it helped. is there a study that looked at it? the topic of masks was not part of the discussion. But you can keep searching for something to make yourself feel good if you are that desperate. you sound very defensive which is a mechanism that kicks in when we can't admit fault or being wrong

apparently you can't read. my narrative was not about any of the worst tragedies to ever befallen our country. that was the narrative of the poster i was responding to. I've never referred to covid as the worst tragedy ever. But despite never saying it, it hasn't stopped people like you from putting words in other peoples mouths. not sure why you want to exaggerate everything. it usually means you feel isolated and angry. Those of us supposedly "scared" are living through an inconvenience but its not nearly as taxing on us as it appears it is on you.
You might want to clarify this post, then:
what’s followed has been rather confusing to anyone with an ounce of sanity left.

i dont know how much it helped. is there a study that looked at it? the topic of masks was not part of the discussion. But you can keep searching for something to make yourself feel good if you are that desperate. you sound very defensive which is a mechanism that kicks in when we can't admit fault or being wrong
you’re right! masks weren’t the topic. wonder how that came up....

oh, right:
i think i saw pictures of lots of people wearing masks during the spanish flu.

Reactions: dinglefritz
You’re more than welcome to reread my posts and share the US-specific piece about which you’re referring in order to not look like a senile nincompoop.

You’re also welcome to continue responding to imaginary arguments.

Up to you.
o k i reread. i interpreted your statements describing people like me as being scared from the virus in this country. Because i wouldn't really be concerned about my personal health if the brunt of a virus was only being felt overseas somewhere. So just so you know, maybe the reason the united states didn't do that much in your examples was because most of the brunt of those viruses was either overseas or half the effect of covid. i dont think anyone around here is scared of diseases that are mainly transmitting in other countries so i'm not sure why you used statistics from the rest of the world and tried to apply to the US response.

you said the US has never done anything in response to a pandemic. well they actually have
Wrong again, pops. That was you, also:

thats probably why rambo left it out of his argument that we have never done anything in the past to prevent infections during a pandemic.
And this was completely out of left field. Seems you're arguing with yourself. get some sleep. this is embarrassing.

you’re right about defense mechanisms cropping up in lieu of admitting incorrectness. good grief.

Sweden has the 8th highest deaths per 100K population in the world. How is that "doing fabulously"? The US is 10th highest.

South Dakota is doing ok in terms of cases per 100K population, not great, not horrible.

JHU data has the US at 47.93 deaths per 100K population. So let's say memorial stadium holds about 90K people. If every home game they pulled 40-45 people out of the crowd and lined them up and shot them dead, you buying tickets?

Cases mean nothing.

Did you fail math class?

Even if we give a pass on that fraudulent 47.93 you fail to take into account that's over a 6 month period.

In 2018 there 11 traffic deaths per 100K pop. Did you go around telling people at the games 10 of them were going to die? Did we get weekly reports during the season of all the traffic deaths of people driving to and from the games? No because that's not how averages work and I don't know why you get off on acting pompous and disingenuous and think it's somehow clever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_fatality_rate_in_U.S._by_year

Nevermind the age stratification and how most who have died have been elderly who were already ill.

If there was a car where at first 2-3 out of every 100 of them blew up and killed the driver, would you buy one if they got that number down to only 1-2 out of every 100 blowing up and killing the driver?

And oh by the way some of them still blow up but the driver is just permanently injured, but they live.

The internet is littered by now of confirmed stories of keyboard warriors who wanted to get their "ain't scared'a COIVD" award in the mail but instead they caught it and then they ate their words and then they died.

That one guy died, however there are millions more.

Literally a story for the rest of your life.

.048 is small. Is that accurate? idk. What I think is dumb is just looking at it as a number, and not people. Am I worried about myself. No. Would I worry about accidentally giving it to people in my family that are more at risk. YES. Do I wear a mask. YES. Have I changed my going out in public habits. YES. Are my rights being infringed upon. NO. Better to be safe than to be a part of the problem.

Do you always talk to yourself on a internet message board?

Seek help.

Well, the fatality rate is from the CDC, so........

And don't get me started on the collateral damage from the shutdowns. It's going to kill way more people then this virus ever will.

"Too many people in the US grow up feeling like freedom is some god given right."

Your quote is proof positive that our education system has MASSIVELY FAILED teaching basic civics and the principles upon which our nation was founded. Freedom IS a God-given right! It's the concept that our whole constitutional republic is founded upon! You might what to check out the first sentence of the second paragraph of the Declaration of Independence: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Good lord, I shudder for our nation when I read people write things like you do that shows they have no idea where true rights come from and I'm not even close to joking. The myopic ignorance of handing over freedoms so easily based on the idea that you are providing security is breathtaking. You will end up losing both.

BTW: Sweden is doing fabulously and they are the only country that didn't lock down. South Dakota is doing great, too.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political...0J1v3t48_WEILkj84FQZ5o7RW5giPa3lpAhmzIM4P8Yu4
I understand what you are talking about, in regard to liberalization of the school system, however I don't think you understand what I truly mean.

I'm about as republican as they come, however through thorough investigation of many issues, we do have some faults here in this country with regard to how we live. Just because some old farts drew something up on a document, doesn't make it naturally true.

In most societies, we are indebted to our parents, because they took the time, money, and effort to raise us. Most people feel a sense of obligation toward their family. That is not a freedom where you can just do whatever, it's an obligation that limits our freedoms.

I don't care what 'tribe' you come from, you have obligations to those around you and in the tribe. That is not freedom, and it's precisely what I am talking about.

If you really want to boil things down to why there are so many social issues in this country, a lot of it can be boiled down to too much freedom or maybe better put, too much choice.

Did you know that in other countries, the parents decide what type of field or work a kid is most suitable for?

Before this freaks you out, realize that older people actually know more than a few things and can much more easily give better suggestions on career paths, and even possible spouses.

Yes, here, everyone is expected to automatically know what it is they want to do, or what type of person they should date and it creates a nasty mess of too many choices, too many paths, too many freedoms, if you will, that most people can't navigate that successfully, or take awhile to do that while making mistakes along the way.

Anyway, whether you realize it or not, you have responsibilities and obligation to your fellow tribe, and you aren't ever truly free in that sense.

Furthermore: If Life is a right, then you should be behind trying to stop the spread of the virus to protect others' right to life.

Liberty? from what? we are all economic slaves. Slavery is alive and well, and we are all in it. Want to be free from that? your option is to be homeless. Good luck with that.

Happiness? Guess what, you can pursue it.. you aren't provided a right to be happy either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT