ADVERTISEMENT

Players call for increased safety protocol in a letter

Status
Not open for further replies.
While we appreciate the Big Ten’s recently announced plan for the upcoming season, we believe that the conference’s proposal falls short in certain areas. Given that the players are the primary stakeholders in the business of college sports, we believe any course of action moving forward needs to include player input. We are deeply disappointed with the lack of leadership demonstrated by the NCAA with respect to player safety during the COVID-19 pandemic. We believe that the NCAA must — on its own and through collaboration with the conference — devise a comprehensive plan to ensure the safety and well-being of players leading up to and during the upcoming fall season.

Do these guys realize that IF they get Covid, there's about a 1 in 250,000 chance they will die and an 80%+ chance they will show little or no symptoms? Even less chance of death since they are likely in excellent physical condition. There's about a 1 in 500 chance they'll be hit by a car and killed walking down the street to practice.

The madness needs to stop.

Player Assurances
  • Whistleblower protections for athletics personnel and college athletes reporting a suspected violation
  • Ban the use of COVID-19 liability waivers
  • Automatic medical redshirt for any player who misses any competitions due to a positive test or a mandatory quarantine due to contact tracing
  • Preserve athletic eligibility, scholarship, and roster spot for any player who opts out of athletic participation or is unable to play more than 40% of their scheduled season due to COVID-19 or season postponement/cancellation
  • Complimentary access to the Big Ten Network for athletes’ family members
Hazard-Related Economic Support
  • Coverage for all out-of-pocket medical expenses related to COVID-19 (both short-term and long-term) incurred by active college athletes
  • Scholarship protections (including room, board and stipend) in the event that the season is canceled due to COVID-19
  • An adjustment to the cost-of-living stipend to account for the increase in personal expenses related to limited access that players have to facilities
  • Reimbursement for stipends that were reduced during the summer

Do these guys realize that IF they get Covid, there's about a 1 in 250,000 chance they will die and an 80%+ chance they will show little or no symptoms? Even less chance of death since they are likely in excellent physical condition. There's about a 1 in 500 chance they'll be hit by a car and killed walking down the street to practice.

In that case the universities should have no problem not requiring a liability waiver or agreeing to pay for any COVID related medical expenses both short and long term

but who will they pass the virus on to? someone else with worse odds perhaps?

Maybe it's more important to think of humans as a group rather than as individuals in situations like this.

Maybe the madness is right here looking at you.

Complimentary access to BTN is a funny one.

Imagine cable companies monitoring that channel based on a players’ scholarship standing. Lol.

but who will they pass the virus on to? someone else with worse odds perhaps?

Maybe it's more important to think of humans as a group rather than as individuals in situations like this.

Maybe the madness is right here looking at you.

We all better just hunker down forever then, because we carry all kinds of pathogens that could kill a more vulnerable person. Again, this virus has a .26% fatality rate. Yes, it's higher among the vulnerable. Bottom line: If you are worried about getting this virus, you should stay home. The rest of us should be able to live our lives. Just like we have ALWAYS DONE up to this virus. And there have been plenty that were just as deadly if not deadlier than Covid.

These players have a FAR HIGHER chance of death from the blunt force trauma they are going to experience in the game than they do from this virus.

Player Assurances
  • Whistleblower protections for athletics personnel and college athletes reporting a suspected violation
  • Ban the use of COVID-19 liability waivers
  • Automatic medical redshirt for any player who misses any competitions due to a positive test or a mandatory quarantine due to contact tracing
  • Preserve athletic eligibility, scholarship, and roster spot for any player who opts out of athletic participation or is unable to play more than 40% of their scheduled season due to COVID-19 or season postponement/cancellation
  • Complimentary access to the Big Ten Network for athletes’ family members
Hazard-Related Economic Support
  • Coverage for all out-of-pocket medical expenses related to COVID-19 (both short-term and long-term) incurred by active college athletes
  • Scholarship protections (including room, board and stipend) in the event that the season is canceled due to COVID-19
  • An adjustment to the cost-of-living stipend to account for the increase in personal expenses related to limited access that players have to facilities
  • Reimbursement for stipends that were reduced during the summer
looks reasonable and well thought out

Reactions: EastOregonHusker
The BTN one is a little goofy. Even though they would get tickets to be able to have their family come to games there are still expenses associated with them actually coming. The cost of gas to drive to where you're playing probably outweighs the price of an upgraded cable package for a few months.

BUT, it's a starting point for negotiating. The things they're asking for are actually pretty smart.

We all better just hunker down forever then, because we carry all kinds of pathogens that could kill a more vulnerable person. Again, this virus has a .26% fatality rate. Yes, it's higher among the vulnerable. Bottom line: If you are worried about getting this virus, you should stay home. The rest of us should be able to live our lives. Just like we have ALWAYS DONE up to this virus. And there have been plenty that were just as deadly if not deadlier than Covid.

These players have a FAR HIGHER chance of death from the blunt force trauma they are going to experience in the game than they do from this virus.

Your fatality rate is not even close to being accurate.

A vaccine will likely be available in early 2021.

Sidenote: https://www.foxnews.com/sports/lsus-travez-moore-weight-loss-coronavirus

While this didn't kill the player, I wonder how many others he possibly infected? How would you feel if you infected someone and they died? All because you didn't want to wear a mask or felt the govt was taking away your rights in the interest of public safety for everyone, if only for a very short time. We don't normally have massive pandemics you know.

Too many people in the US grow up feeling like freedom is some god given right. It's not. You are brought up into a herd, and you are at the mercy of the herd, their rules, and what keeps the herd alive, because by yourself, you are nobody.

There is a reason why the rest of the world is doing better than the US with this, and while I don't mean to pick on you, a lot of people should hear this message.

We all survive better being part of a team than you do as a lone wolf. As such, people need to just suck this up for another 6-9 months.

It's not that difficult.

Last edited:
US Population 329,814,000 US Deaths 156,839 = .048%

99.95% survival rate, that doesn't take into account population growth. At some point you have to realize the risk is OK. I heard the CDC guy said suicides and death by drug overdose in teens is way up this year. Don't make the cure worse than the disease.

99.95% survival rate, that doesn't take into account population growth. At some point you have to realize the risk is OK. I heard the CDC guy said suicides and death by drug overdose in teens is way up this year. Don't make the cure worse than the disease.
You are basing the death rate on the total population, which hasn’t even had the virus yet. Logical.

.048 is small. Is that accurate? idk. What I think is dumb is just looking at it as a number, and not people. Am I worried about myself. No. Would I worry about accidentally giving it to people in my family that are more at risk. YES. Do I wear a mask. YES. Have I changed my going out in public habits. YES. Are my rights being infringed upon. NO. Better to be safe than to be a part of the problem.

This might be the most ignorant use of data I have ever read... It does prove that the lower level of education/intelligence a group has the less concerned they are about the virus...

.048 is small. Is that accurate? idk. What I think is dumb is just looking at it as a number, and not people. Am I worried about myself. No. Would I worry about accidentally giving it to people in my family that are more at risk. YES. Do I wear a mask. YES. Have I changed my going out in public habits. YES. Are my rights being infringed upon. NO. Better to be safe than to be a part of the problem.
We have already proved that for the most part life is no longer meaningful in the US. The benefit is I can laugh at gun rights and pro life people now....

Reactions: CameronKrazie86
You are basing the death rate on the total population, which hasn’t even had the virus yet. Logical.

May 1st Cases = 1,070,032
August 1st Cases = 4,562,037
May 1st Death rate .0197%
August 1st Death Rate .0461%

More than triple the number of cases and the death rate, which is admittedly inflated, goes up a whole .0264%

Death Rate for those who had Covid since May 1st is 2.5%
Death Rate for those who had Covid since June 1st is 1.77%
Death Rate for those who had Covid since July 1st is 1.38%
Notice a trend?

I must be missing something here. It seems all the responsibilities are on the schools and league. Where are the ones on the players? Can they still do whatever they want? Parties? Do they have to social distance, wear masks, etc? The protocols do not, at first blush, seem to be over the top but at the same time, personal behavior has to be a factor or not? Asking for a friend.

Your fatality rate is not even close to being accurate.

A vaccine will likely be available in early 2021.

Sidenote: https://www.foxnews.com/sports/lsus-travez-moore-weight-loss-coronavirus

While this didn't kill the player, I wonder how many others he possibly infected? How would you feel if you infected someone and they died? All because you didn't want to wear a mask or felt the govt was taking away your rights in the interest of public safety for everyone, if only for a very short time. We don't normally have massive pandemics you know.

Too many people in the US grow up feeling like freedom is some god given right. It's not. You are brought up into a heard, and you are at the mercy of the herd, their rules, and what keeps the herd alive, because by yourself, you are nobody.

There is a reason why the rest of the world is doing better than the US with this, and while I don't mean to pick on you, a lot of people should hear this message.

We all survive better being part of a team than you do as a lone wolf. As such, people need to just suck this up for another 6-9 months.

It's not that difficult.

Well, the fatality rate is from the CDC, so........

And don't get me started on the collateral damage from the shutdowns. It's going to kill way more people then this virus ever will.

"Too many people in the US grow up feeling like freedom is some god given right."

Your quote is proof positive that our education system has MASSIVELY FAILED teaching basic civics and the principles upon which our nation was founded. Freedom IS a God-given right! It's the concept that our whole constitutional republic is founded upon! You might what to check out the first sentence of the second paragraph of the Declaration of Independence: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Good lord, I shudder for our nation when I read people write things like you do that shows they have no idea where true rights come from and I'm not even close to joking. The myopic ignorance of handing over freedoms so easily based on the idea that you are providing security is breathtaking. You will end up losing both.

BTW: Sweden is doing fabulously and they are the only country that didn't lock down. South Dakota is doing great, too.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political...0J1v3t48_WEILkj84FQZ5o7RW5giPa3lpAhmzIM4P8Yu4

Last edited:
If there was a car where at first 2-3 out of every 100 of them blew up and killed the driver, would you buy one if they got that number down to only 1-2 out of every 100 blowing up and killing the driver?

And oh by the way some of them still blow up but the driver is just permanently injured, but they live.

The internet is littered by now of confirmed stories of keyboard warriors who wanted to get their "ain't scared'a COIVD" award in the mail but instead they caught it and then they ate their words and then they died.

0ce7fab5975b4e889100583975eb105b.jpg

Well, the fatality rate is from the CDC, so........

And don't get me started on the collateral damage from the shutdowns. It's going to kill way more people then this virus ever will.

"Too many people in the US grow up feeling like freedom is some god given right."

Your quote is proof positive that our education system has MASSIVELY FAILED teaching basic civics and the principles upon which our nation was founded. Freedom IS a God-given right! It's the concept that our whole constitutional republic is founded upon! You might what to check out the first sentence of the second paragraph of the Declaration of Independence: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Good lord, I shudder for our nation when I read people write things like you do that shows they have no idea where true rights come from and I'm not even close to joking. The myopic ignorance of handing over freedoms so easily based on the idea that you are providing security is breathtaking. You will end up losing both.

BTW: Sweden is doing fabulously and they are the only country that didn't lock down. South Dakota is doing great, too.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political...0J1v3t48_WEILkj84FQZ5o7RW5giPa3lpAhmzIM4P8Yu4
Sweden has the 8th highest deaths per 100K population in the world. How is that "doing fabulously"? The US is 10th highest.

South Dakota is doing ok in terms of cases per 100K population, not great, not horrible.

JHU data has the US at 47.93 deaths per 100K population. So let's say memorial stadium holds about 90K people. If every home game they pulled 40-45 people out of the crowd and lined them up and shot them dead, you buying tickets?

Sweden has the 8th highest deaths per 100K population in the world. How is that "doing fabulously"? The US is 10th highest.

South Dakota is doing ok in terms of cases per 100K population, not great, not horrible.

JHU data has the US at 47.93 deaths per 100K population. So let's say memorial stadium holds about 90K people. If every home game they pulled 40-45 people out of the crowd and lined them up and shot them dead, you buying tickets?

Then you should just STAY HOME.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I've been to a lot of home games and never caught a hotdog from the Weiner Schlinger. I think my chances of avoiding the firing line would be pretty good.

Then you should just STAY HOME.
Yeah...most of us should have and then we wouldn't be having to wonder if it's safe to play football 6-9 months after this broke out when other countries have largely been able to return to normal.

Instead we are a nation of noisy idiots who scream YUH WULL IT AIN'T THAT SERIOUS I AIN'T SCARED at anyone who will listen so what we have instead is a second surge in cases and having to close things up all over again.

You want the economy to start? It won't until this thing is over and people start doing what the doctors say to do. We can all wish in one hand and shit in the other for it to be no big deal and we'll be sitting right back here next year looking at massive unemployment and GDP way down because it's still rampant.

Reactions: CameronKrazie86

To have that many deaths, a third of the capacity would be 85 yo or older and about 78% of the capacity would be above 65 yo. So if I were over 65, I probably wouldn't buy a ticket.

This might be the most ignorant use of data I have ever read... It does prove that the lower level of education/intelligence a group has the less concerned they are about the virus...

It absolutely does not prove that. Congratulations. You followed up a dumb post with a dumb post of your own. Nevertheless, I still know that even that flawed logic in your post does not alone prove that you are unintelligent. I am awaiting further analysis.

Yeah...most of us should have and then we wouldn't be having to wonder if it's safe to play football 6-9 months after this broke out when other countries have largely been able to return to normal.

Instead we are a nation of noisy idiots who scream YUH WULL IT AIN'T THAT SERIOUS I AIN'T SCARED at anyone who will listen so what we have instead is a second surge in cases and having to close things up all over again.

You want the economy to start? It won't until this thing is over and people start doing what the doctors say to do. We can all wish in one hand and shit in the other for it to be no big deal and we'll be sitting right back here next year looking at massive unemployment and GDP way down because it's still rampant.

It must be miserable living your life in fear and then using ad hominem attacks on people who disagree with you by saying they are uneducated. Make sure to put on plenty of sunscreen when you come out of your basement so you don't get a bad sunburn after being locked up for 12 months.

It must be miserable living your life in fear and then using ad hominem attacks on people who disagree with you by saying they are uneducated. Make sure to put on plenty of sunscreen when you come out of your basement so you don't get a bad sunburn after being locked up for 12 months.
Sunscreen and basements. Your trash talking skills are about as strong as your medical knowledge.

I never said you're uneducated, what I think you are is stupid.

Goodbye forever and welcome to the ignore list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT