ADVERTISEMENT

Player vulnerability and the 4 year commitment

westcliffe

First Team All-Big Ten
Jan 17, 2006
I have always believed that players are vulnerable when they accept a scholarship to play football at Nebraska or any other D1 school. Players don't decide to go to a university and then say give me a scholarship. Coaching staffs evaluate players closely, they perform do diligence to find out about their behavior off the field and in the classroom. They decide to offer the kid and try to get him to campus for a magical mystery tour. They woo him with phone calls, e-mails, twitter and letters. The kid finally accepts thinking Nebraska or whatever school is a special place, with special coaches, great facilities and a family atmosphere. He wants to spend the next 4 or 5 years there playing for that team. Then the reality sets in and he (and the coaches) find out he wasn't as good as they thought. He can't get off the practice squad. In the mean time, the kid goes to class and progresses toward a degree, is a great team oriented guy, doesn't break any rules and actually likes being at dear old NU. There's just one thing, the coaches want him gone to fill his slot with another kid they think is a sure bet, so they tell him he no longer has a scholarship and he has to move on. Through no fault of his own, he loses out.

I think Nebraska's new policy is great. It says something about the quality of our university. Maybe the coaches will be more careful about evaluating players if they know they are going to on the squad for 4 years. Maybe the B1G will adopt the same policy and then maybe the NCAA will do the same.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News